Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 06:51 PM

783 posts, read 2,261,476 times

Advertisements

No, I've already replied to that point a bazillion times in this discussion. I think you're jus being indignant for the sake of making yourselves feel superior - like those ladies that gossip about neighbors, or the people who watch Jerry Springer.

There is nothing new about children wanting to grow up. In the 80s little girls were swinging their butts and dressing like cyndi lauper while they sang along with "she bop," a song about masturbation. It was cute and funny and not a big deal unless some self rightcheous blowhard decided to make it a big deal. Those are the people I generally try to avoid and tell the kids to ignore. Every generation for eons has lamented the devilry of "kids today." Meh.

Ever seen "Hound Dog?" Makes me think of Louellen's grandma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 08:42 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,778,446 times
I don't think most people here are questioning the decisions or desires of the KIDS here -- they're questioning the judgement of the parents who purchase explicitly sexy outfits for their preteen daughters.

Someone earlier said "it's just one day, so what does it matter?" I think there could be some validity if that were true, but the push to market hyper-sexuality to young girls is running rampant these days. I would still find it irritating if it was all geared towards the high school and up market, but so much of it is geared and marketed towards the younger kids, kids who haven't, in many cases, even hit puberty yet. What's the rush? Obviously not everyone agrees, but I just don't think it's age-appropriate to push adult concepts of sexuality and sexiness on kids who aren't yet physically or emotionally adults in any sense of the word.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:50 PM

604 posts, read 752,091 times
Anyone watch the Halloween episode of Modern Family?

The oldest daughter comes down in a really low cut black dress, "skimpy" would probably be the word, as a cat. The mom of course flips out, tells her to change.

Later, she comes back down as a nurse, low cut again, to which the mom says, "We're giving candy to children, not picking up old Japanese men"
Tells her to change

She comes back down in the nurse outfit, with all the red color off, and blue stripes, still cleavage, and low cut (she's a young teen mind you) but she says "Mom, you cant ask me to change, I'm mother Teressa! (sp)

To which the mom says "I will give you $10 to go put more clothes on"
Youngest sister: "Bet thats the first time you ever heard that before"

Sort of a joke about the way girls dress overall, but specifically Halloween... sex sells, and women have been taught, in todays culture, that they can use their bodies to get themselves ahead in society...

Old 11-04-2010, 09:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,975,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post
Sort of a joke about the way girls dress overall, but specifically Halloween... sex sells, and women have been taught, in todays culture, that they can use their bodies to get themselves ahead in society...
Uh, excuse me? Who is teaching women this? Please elaborate.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:28 PM

In today's society?

I guess you never read the Bible. We are born the way we are.

You're railing against nature; you might as well try to shout the rain away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC29C9OC3w8

Old 11-04-2010, 09:35 PM

I know the Bible backwards and forwards, and I don't know anything in there about selling one's body as a way to get ahead.

Galatians 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:47 PM

604 posts, read 752,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Uh, excuse me? Who is teaching women this? Please elaborate.
Are you a teenager? Its not really a written thing, "Women must do so-and-so" but its sort of an underlying "thing" that is there... TV, you watch it? Girls see lightly dressed girls on TV, and the idea is put in their head?

Watched a video in Sociology the other day, about 1,600 girls, between 10 and 16 (i think) who were applying to be models... a 13 year old was in a spring break commercial wearing a bikini, holding a drink, and partying with a boy right behind her...
Sort of shows them, that if they want a job modeling, they should dress and act a certain way to get a job (just an example)

Quote:
I know the Bible backwards and forwards, and I don't know anything in there about selling one's body as a way to get ahead.

Galatians 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

You live in the United States of America?
I'm not exactly sure... but there's a few people here that don't believe in God (sarcasm...)

I wish, people stopped mis-interpreting the Constitution's "Separation of Church and State" policy... which was set from a letter found sent from Ben Franklin, describing his opinion, when in all actuality, the Forefathers only had, No national church may be set...

Sure, the world would be in a better place if we all read, and understood the Bible, but open your eyes and see that there are people who would use their body to get ahead...

I never said, sell their body, I said sex sells, our culture is relaxed, because we're sort of "on top of the world" because we're Americans, same as being Roman in the Roman Empire... relaxed, homosexuality skyrockets, prositution, corruption, inflation

Good and bad, we inherit it all, with power...

Old 11-04-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post
Are you a teenager? Its not really a written thing, "Women must do so-and-so" but its sort of an underlying "thing" that is there... TV, you watch it? Girls see lightly dressed girls on TV, and the idea is put in their head?
LOL! I'm 61 years old, and I've been a woman the whole time. Yes, I watch TV.

Quote:
Watched a video in Sociology the other day, about 1,600 girls, between 10 and 16 (i think) who were applying to be models... a 13 year old was in a spring break commercial wearing a bikini, holding a drink, and partying with a boy right behind her...
Sort of shows them, that if they want a job modeling, they should dress and act a certain way to get a job (just an example)
You're a college student?

Quote:
You live in the United States of America?
I'm not exactly sure... but there's a few people here that don't believe in God (sarcasm...)

I wish, people stopped mis-interpreting the Constitution's "Separation of Church and State" policy... which was set from a letter found sent from Ben Franklin, describing his opinion, when in all actuality, the Forefathers only had, No national church may be set...

Sure, the world would be in a better place if we all read, and understood the Bible, but open your eyes and see that there are people who would use their body to get ahead...

I never said, sell their body, I said sex sells, our culture is relaxed, because we're sort of "on top of the world" because we're Americans, same as being Roman in the Roman Empire... relaxed, homosexuality skyrockets, prositution, corruption, inflation

Good and bad, we inherit it all, with power...
You're the one who brought up the Bible, not me. I was just quoting it; something I learned a long time ago. Not to say I still think the same way as I did then, but I have a pretty strong background in Bible verses.

Actually, Thomas Jefferson wrote that letter about the "wall of separation", and I'm not sure what you're getting at with that either, but you seem to be making fun of me, so I'll see you later.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:09 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,985,144 times
Quote:
My concern too about these sl*t costumes is that they degrade the professions they represent. I don't think it's OK to portray nurses, teachers, maids, etc as sluts. None of the guy costumes are designed to make them look like pimps.
Most the ER nurses I know....are sluts, the vast majority of them are total badge bunnies and I know plenty of ER nurses from many different ER's.
I know one who got knocked up by a police officer I know.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:56 AM

I said sex sells, our culture is relaxed, because we're sort of "on top of the world" because we're Americans, same as being Roman in the Roman Empire...

You GOTTA be kidding. Have you ever been outside the US? Learn a foreign language. The US is one of the most uptight nations in the world regarding sexuality. Australia, UK, US - very uptight. Even Canada is less uptight than the US. "Sex sells" because we're so uptight about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting