Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 08:25 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,385,434 times

Advertisements

How many parents have read the book & used it's ideas? How old were your kids? Did it work well for you?

I used it when my kids were 3-5 years old and it worked well. I just started using it again - my kids are 11 & 13 now. So far, so good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 06:16 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,954,362 times
I recently had opportunity to see the video lecture series done by the author. Freaking hilarious. He is funny.

I had an idea in my head of what it was but I did not quite have it right. A lot of what he said makes sense to me and I appreciate.

I think it is very appropriate for school aged and pre-teens.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:23 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,944,380 times
Okay, this is probably a really stupid question but what is 1, 2, 3 Magic?

Old 09-21-2010, 07:33 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,385,434 times
It's a book. A great book for parents on discipline.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:02 AM

4,677 posts, read 2,070,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Okay, this is probably a really stupid question but what is 1, 2, 3 Magic?
I have used the 1, 2, 3 Magic on my son from age 5 to currently which is age 7. At first I thought it was really silly but it does seem to work. And it works in all different situations, store, school, home, etc. If I remember right, I probably need to relook at the book. But when the kid is misbehaving, you say 1, if they straighten up then you stop counting, if not, then you say 2, if they still keep it up, you say 3 and then they go to time out(for us they always told us a minute per year of childs age). You are not supposed to argue or talk to them in between the counting. And for whatever reason it seems to work. At first our son would get to three or try to count with us, so there were a lot of time outs but now when we do he straightens up pretty quick.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:39 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,961,420 times
I haven't read the book, so I don't know the method specifically. But we have tried the "You have until I count to 3 or else you get a time out" thing. The problem was that she wouldn't do anything if I didn't count, and even then she'd wait until I got to 2. We decided to stop counting and just have her listen the first time or else she gets time out.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:06 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,559,678 times
Is the concept to do counting?
I just have a tough time w/ that concept as I feel it puts the power w/ the child & after awhile, it becomes a game to them.
What if time outs do not work for your child? What happens after 3?
Haven't read the book so I'm not going to say it is wrong but not sure I'd read it if the focus is counting.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:17 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,484,550 times
From 50 years ago:

Mom says, "Ooonnne. Martha!" You're acting up and ignoring Mom.

Mom says, "Twwooo. Martha Mary!!" She's got your attention but you keep acting up.

Mom says, "Three! Martha Mary Fitzpatrick!!!"

By the time they got to three you knew you were in big trouble and Dad was going to hear about it when he got home from work.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:23 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,559,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
From 50 years ago:

Mom says, "Ooonnne. Martha!" You're acting up and ignoring Mom.

Mom says, "Twwooo. Martha Mary!!" She's got your attention but you keep acting up.

Mom says, "Three! Martha Mary Fitzpatrick!!!"

By the time they got to three you knew you were in big trouble and Dad was going to hear about it when he got home from work.
I get this...but, why should it even involve the parent who is not there? The parent who is there is the one who needs for the children to understand that when they mean business, they mean business.
It is very easy to say: "Do you want Daddy to hear about this when he gets home?" in order to get the behavior to stop. But, it also is pushing things onto the parent who is not even there to begin w/ & leaves an open door to the child.
I try very hard not to do this as I want my boys to respect my authority as much as their fathers.
Instead, I say a lot of "Daddy sure is going to have a warm heart when he hears what a great boy you've been today" or something of that nature.

For my 5yr old, there is one warning; sometimes none. That is it. He is beyond aware what he is doing & doesn't need 3 times to get a chance to improve/stop/make changes.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:16 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,484,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
I get this...but, why should it even involve the parent who is not there? The parent who is there is the one who needs for the children to understand that when they mean business, they mean business.
It is very easy to say: "Do you want Daddy to hear about this when he gets home?" in order to get the behavior to stop. But, it also is pushing things onto the parent who is not even there to begin w/ & leaves an open door to the child.
I try very hard not to do this as I want my boys to respect my authority as much as their fathers.
Instead, I say a lot of "Daddy sure is going to have a warm heart when he hears what a great boy you've been today" or something of that nature.

For my 5yr old, there is one warning; sometimes none. That is it. He is beyond aware what he is doing & doesn't need 3 times to get a chance to improve/stop/make changes.
Nothing got "pushed onto the parent who is not even there". You got "it" twice. Once from Mom who was more than capable of lowering the boom all by herself. Then you got "it" again when Dad got home. If Dad got involved you knew you had crossed a line that you should never have even approached.

Personally I worked very hard to insure my mother never called me by my full name. First because I knew my mother was going to discipline me and it wasn't going to be fun. And second because, even as a kid, I loved and respected my dad so much I didn't want to disappoint him by acting like a dope and getting into serious trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting