Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 07:39 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,572,801 times

Advertisements

Weekends and vacations are wonderful things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 07:52 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,891,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Hi highly doubt that, since such a small percentage of kids are unschooled.

It is based on testing AND GRADES.
Acceptance into college is based off grades not your placement in the classes. And checks with most major universities as they have groups and programs for homeschoolers/unschoolers getting whats needed to start.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:54 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,891,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Well, I don't know what Universities those might be - I know the one my son is looking at has limited admission. So no way you'd be admitted into the Engineering Department - specifically Aerospace, without certain requirements.

He's a Junior in High School and has had this plan for quite some time, so all his classes now are geared for that, and he's taking some classes in order to skip them in college.

To each his own obviously. Not something I particularly understand or would do, but that's me. My opinion is probably tainted by my nieces who are homeschooled. I'm not going to go into details, best to leave it at that.
It does depend on the college of course, and while generally having the college classes can be a plus. Placement testing does supercede the fact of what classes you did or did not take.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:08 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,541,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
People can and do adapt and who knows, they may end up doing something completely unconventional for a living.

How are you seeing unschooling being incorporated in your area and what about it bothers you? I'm a homeschooler and know 2 families who unschool. They do things very different from one another.

I agree with you that it starts and ends at home.

Homeschooling and unschooling are alternatives to the traditional educational model as are private schools, charter schools, magnet schools and alternative schools. Every family has the opportunity to decide which method would be best for their child and their family. What is best for some may not be best for others. There aren't a lot of statistics and research on unschoolers but they do fall within the realm of homeschooling and research shows that homeschoolers are doing just fine when compared to their school peers.
The Blame Game. Parents v. Teachers. Parents v. Admin. All done & said in front of some very young ears.

I believe that the public school system is extremely flawed.

But I do believe that talking bad about the system (please read between the lines here) in front of the same children you are taking out of school b/c you are better role models for them...there is some hyprocrosy going on. I've seen some parents go on & on about how better they are going to be then "teachers who get 12 week vacations".

This is a really really big passion of mine & I feel that so much can be changed for the better. But it takes EVERYONE putting down their fighting gloves & listening & being involved & taking the time.

For starters, get freakin rid of NCLB

There are some extremely well developed homeschooling networks.

Unfortunately, many see unschooling as parents who are rebelling against the system rather than refusing to let their child just be another victim of the system. And that is what the media is picking up in our area... I am going to gag if I hear another "My Johnny was doing college level physics when I started unschooling him at 7".

And, I do agree that homeschooling is one topic & unschooling is another. They are not the same.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:17 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,309,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Acceptance into college is based off grades not your placement in the classes. And checks with most major universities as they have groups and programs for homeschoolers/unschoolers getting whats needed to start.
ok, then how would an unschooled kid get into college without having grades for admittance?

Old 09-05-2010, 08:19 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,393,236 times
A have friends who do a great job homeschooling (their kids outshine their peers on standardized tests and know how to study independently) but I'm not very familiar with unschooling.

I saw a special about it on a morning news program once and the parents let the children dictate what they wanted to learn. It seems to me that this could lead to a very spotty education.

What if an unschooled child hates math. Would that child be excused from learning any math beyond the basics of adding, subtraction, division and multiplication? If so, wouldn't that make it difficuilt for him/her to succeed in college?

And if a child is used to deciding how he/she should be educated what happens in college when they must read certain books and take certain exams to pass their courses? Would they be able to adjust to the structure?

I'm all for supplementing my child's education. We take our kids to all sorts of performing arts events and fine arts exhibits, visit historical sites whenever we travel, and reiterate what they learn in math when we're working on a recipe or spending money at the mall.

I just worry --- based on what I saw on the news report --- that unschooling takes the concept of unstructured education too far.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:21 PM

4,264 posts, read 6,206,579 times
Quote:
ok, then how would an unschooled kid get into college without having grades for admittance?
Many schools will accept portfolios in lieu of transcripts.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:21 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,572,801 times
Quote:
Many colleges and universities do have specific criteria for admittance for homeschooled children....they do have to take ACT/SATs etc.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:34 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,309,671 times
OK, I watched the Young Turks video. I will agree that public education is broken, but I think unschooling takes it to an extreme. way, way, way extreme! We do a lot of educational stuff with our kids. There needs to be some of both. Some classroom time with professionals and some "field" time.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:12 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,065,029 times
Quote:
MITs requirements

MIT Admissions | Blog Entry: "Homeschooled applicants"

Quote:
The largest hurdle homeschooled students face when it comes to applying to the college of their choice is the lack of traditional transcripts and diploma. Since these things don’t physically exist, some colleges will ask the student to obtain a GED. Most colleges require the student to take other standardized tests, such as the ACT and/or SAT.
Some thought take college entrance exams and do so well that they are accepted and even given scholarships based on test scores. Some create portfolios or narrative transcripts and are able to get interviews and are accepted on that basis. Some apply to schools that are looking particularly for nontraditional students. Some go to community colleges to get a college transcript and use that in their transfer application. Some take extension courses at the college and then apply with that as their transcript.

Dorothy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting