Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 06:04 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Unschooling is choosing one's own path and that very well might mean attending classes in an area of interest. They may find that knowledge from reading, tinkering, movies, games or by seeking out experts or experience through apprenticeships or through signing up for classes. It doesn't mean that the child will never ever go to school it's just a more self directed way to learn based on one's interests.
My concern is when they enter the workforce & realize that they can't just skip from one thing to another & that sometimes days aren't fun & sometimes there are silly rules to follow. Sometimes, you have to sit at a desk all day or a meeting or deal with very unpleasant personalities for long periods of time.

I agree with the concept of unschooling but I do not agree with how I am seeing & hearing it being incorporated in my area.

I just go back to it all starts & ends at home. I don't care how a child is schooled. It's how they are parented that directs their life.

If a child is struggling with LEARNING and the traditional school system is not meeting their needs, other options need to be looked at.

As for discipline/emotional growth struggles, etc, homeschooling/unschooling & so on...not necessarily the correct answers or even the right one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 06:05 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,953,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Many schools are offering classes to help people with the transistion. But most schools are having to now do remidial math for things like engineering because the modern child is far behind what they were 20 years ago. Remember your placement in college is from testing...so an unschooled child who say scores very high on math....with get into of skip classes he doesn't need. When i went i passed calculus. in hs but did so poorly on the test that i had to re do it.
Well, I don't know what Universities those might be - I know the one my son is looking at has limited admission. So no way you'd be admitted into the Engineering Department - specifically Aerospace, without certain requirements.

He's a Junior in High School and has had this plan for quite some time, so all his classes now are geared for that, and he's taking some classes in order to skip them in college.

To each his own obviously. Not something I particularly understand or would do, but that's me. My opinion is probably tainted by my nieces who are homeschooled. I'm not going to go into details, best to leave it at that.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I'm not sure I understand how sitting in a classroom with 30 kids of the same age does a better job of preparing children for the real world then that of homeschoolers and unschoolers who have much more free time to go out and participate in the real world by going to parks, libraries, museums, farms, rec centers, etc. and interacting with people of all ages.
because the world is full of adults who used to be kids who went to regular schools. They have that in common. School helps prepare kids for the work world by having them interact and work in groups with people they might not really want to. they have to be there at a certain time each day, and stay there for a certain amount of time, just like at work. they have to do what the teacher says, as they will have to do what their boss says when they get a job. Agree with it or not, that's the way the world works. As an adult, you don't get to spend ALL of your time exploring and doing whatever your want.

can these unschooled kids even go to college and get a degree? What are they qualified to do after spending 17 or 18 years playing and exploring?

Old 09-05-2010, 06:19 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Many schools are offering classes to help people with the transistion. But most schools are having to now do remidial math for things like engineering because the modern child is far behind what they were 20 years ago. Remember your placement in college is from testing...so an unschooled child who say scores very high on math....with get into of skip classes he doesn't need. When i went i passed calculus. in hs but did so poorly on the test that i had to re do it.
More students are being told they must take advanced math in high school and then not actually learning it. I suspect that homeschooled and unschooled kids are less likely to have to take remedial math because they would make sure they had the prerequisite skills before they went to college.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:54 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Hi highly doubt that, since such a small percentage of kids are unschooled.

It is based on testing AND GRADES.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:07 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
My concern is when they enter the workforce & realize that they can't just skip from one thing to another & that sometimes days aren't fun & sometimes there are silly rules to follow. Sometimes, you have to sit at a desk all day or a meeting or deal with very unpleasant personalities for long periods of time.

I agree with the concept of unschooling but I do not agree with how I am seeing & hearing it being incorporated in my area.

I just go back to it all starts & ends at home. I don't care how a child is schooled. It's how they are parented that directs their life.

If a child is struggling with LEARNING and the traditional school system is not meeting their needs, other options need to be looked at.

As for discipline/emotional growth struggles, etc, homeschooling/unschooling & so on...not necessarily the correct answers or even the right one.
People can and do adapt and who knows, they may end up doing something completely unconventional for a living.

How are you seeing unschooling being incorporated in your area and what about it bothers you? I'm a homeschooler and know 2 families who unschool. They do things very different from one another.

I agree with you that it starts and ends at home.

Homeschooling and unschooling are alternatives to the traditional educational model as are private schools, charter schools, magnet schools and alternative schools. Every family has the opportunity to decide which method would be best for their child and their family. What is best for some may not be best for others. There aren't a lot of statistics and research on unschoolers but they do fall within the realm of homeschooling and research shows that homeschoolers are doing just fine when compared to their school peers.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
can these unschooled kids even go to college and get a degree? What are they qualified to do after spending 17 or 18 years playing and exploring?
Yes they can. Many go on to college and do quite well.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:25 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,869 times
It just seems that playing and exploring museums and cultural areas etc. can be done in addition to a more structured class environment. I went to a Montessori school where it was hands-on, followed the child's pace and was enriched with field trips and visiting speakers.. and I was able to be in a classroom environment with peers. It seems like it would be a really difficult transition for a unschooled child into college where a student would have to sit anywhere between 1 to 3 hours a day in a classroom.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:30 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
It just seems that playing and exploring museums and cultural areas etc. can be done in addition to a more structured class environment. I went to a Montessori school where it was hands-on, followed the child's pace and was enriched with field trips and visiting speakers.. and I was able to be in a classroom environment with peers. It seems like it would be a really difficult transition for a unschooled child into college where a student would have to sit anywhere between 1 to 3 hours a day in a classroom.
Exactly. All of those things can certainly be done in addition to actual schooling. Many many families who send their kids to school travel and participate in extracurriculars in addition to schooling. It's not like if you choose to send your kids to school, you aren't allowed to do that.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Exactly. All of those things can certainly be done in addition to actual schooling. Many many families who send their kids to school travel and participate in extracurriculars in addition to schooling. It's not like if you choose to send your kids to school, you aren't allowed to do that.
Very true, you just don't have as much time when your kids are in school. School takes up 6 hours a day add to that the time it takes to get to and from school plus time spent studying and doing homework and you don't have much time left in the day to focus on individual interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting