Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 08:07 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,115,380 times

Advertisements

When i Did my son's middle school shopping 2 yrs ago we spent $80 for 6th grade, 7&8th has been about $40 to replace lost/missing stuff and for consumables. (Paper,pens,notebooks,etc). The scissors/rulers etc belong to the student, so they shoud still have them, But some get lost, broken etc.

My Company does a fill the backpack project for kids in the school who's parents can't afford the supplies. This year the program has changed a little from 'make' backpacks, to Fill the Bus with supplies at many area companies, service clubs, stores. About a week before school starts the UnitedWay works with the school to get a Bus and it goes from place to place with each company adding its stuff to the bus. (Good Photo Ops for PR dept). This year they wound up filling 2 buses.
That Weekend they get the service clubs, Scouts, Chrurch group and they make up pack. That are made available to school to give to kids who need them.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:07 AM

4,563 posts, read 10,988,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
They didn't give anything back, just put it in the supply closet for next year I suppose.

I never minded though, it really was a great school IMO.
I'm envisioning a supply closet that when opened, a mound of rulers and scissors fall out of!

Does make you wonder where all those sorts of things went if they keep asking for parents to provide them but never give them back at the end of the year.....

Old 08-25-2010, 08:08 AM

556 posts, read 801,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
Maybe things have changed, but we were required to bring scissors and a ruler, too, but they were ours to keep and use. So at the end of the year, everything went back home. In fact, everything was ours to use. I used to keep my things (glue, markers, pencils, etc.) in a pencil box.

Like I said, my mother teachers, but I've never thought to ask her: Are these items all considered community items? Do students turn them in to the teacher on the first day?

Yes, they're all for everyone. On the first day everything gets put into the supply closet.

When I was little we brought in our stuff and kept it in our own pencil box too.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:16 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,361,476 times
Quote:
Yes, they're all for everyone. On the first day everything gets put into the supply closet.

When I was little we brought in our stuff and kept it in our own pencil box too.
Exactly!
Why the ziploc bags and the kleenex teachers get budgets for their classroom what are rthey using the budgets for?
That's what bothers me. Why should they all be for everyone. why can't I just by 10 pencils and 2 erasers 1 glue stick and the duotangs and a pencil case for my son. Why do I have to provide for everyone else in the class. I have a suspicion that they make us buy all these things because they know that some kids won't bring all the supplies. Its really not fair that we have to foot the bill for other people. They should have some kinf of financial assistance provided byt he school for people that can't afford the supplies. If I was rich I really wouldn't mind but I have 3 kids to provide for and I don't make alot of money.
Oh and the only thing I got back from last year was 4 erasers and a pencil sharpener....no pencil case, no scissors.

Last edited by KylieEve; 08-25-2010 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: .

Old 08-25-2010, 08:30 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,333,281 times
I've had to supply zip lock bags, paper bags, kleenex, and clorox wipes. I think it is becoming normal. This year I have even been asked to supply dixie cups for drinks of water in the classroom. Last year everything went to the supply closet. This year they each got their own box, at least. I felt better seeing the stuff I paid for go straight to my son's desk.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Exactly!
Why the ziploc bags and the kleenex teachers get budgets for their classroom what are rthey using the budgets for?
That's what bothers me. Why should they all be for everyone. why can't I just by 10 pencils and 2 erasers 1 glue stick and the duotangs and a pencil case for my son. Why do I have to provide for everyone else in the class. I have a suspicion that they make us buy all these things because they know that some kids won't bring all the supplies. Its really not fair that we have to foot the bill for other people. They should have some kinf of financial assistance provided byt he school for people that can't afford the supplies. If I was rich I really wouldn't mind but I have 3 kids to provide for and I don't make alot of money.
Oh and the only thing I got back from last year was 4 erasers and a pencil sharpener....no pencil case, no scissors.
A lot of schools really don't have much of a classroom budget anymore. You are right, there are "extras" on the list in case some kids fall short. I don't mind. I was the kid that didn't have supplies most of the time growing up, I know how that feels. I don't mind preventing another kid from feeling that way.

You could always just not send in some or any of the supplies.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I've had to supply zip lock bags, paper bags, kleenex, and clorox wipes. I think it is becoming normal. This year I have even been asked to supply dixie cups for drinks of water in the classroom.

Dixie cups????The next thing you know the school will be asking us to contribute to the school's heating and water bills.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Dixie cups????The next thing you know the school will be asking us to contribute to the school's heating and water bills.

That's probably to cut down on the spread of germs. Those water fountains are nasty little cess pools.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
That's probably to cut down on the spread of germs. Those water fountains are nasty little cess pools.

I'm all for cutting down the spread of germs. How about instead of Dixie cups the parents provide a child with a stainless steel bottle with water already in it from home. That way they won't have to fill it from that fountain that is full of cooties

Old 08-25-2010, 08:41 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,333,281 times
Quote:
I'm all for cutting down the spread of germs. How about instead of Dixie cups the parents provide a child with a stainless steel bottle with water already in it from home. That way they won't have to fill it from that fountain that is full of cooties
last year I had to send a water bottle every day. This teacher, for some reason, doesn't want that. Kids were spilling I guess. I'm all for cutting down on germs, but I don't like the waste of throwing away paper cups all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting