Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 05:48 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,985,144 times

Advertisements

K so my friends mom told me of this place where you can donate plasma for $50 for the first 5 times and $20 each time after.

I am interested in doing this since I am the broke 20-something wanting cash waiting for paychecks to come in.

Its in a pretty sketch area of the next town over.
A lot of the poorer people go there because it is quick and easy cash.

Being involved in law enforcement has me scared to death of needles.
At the doctor I am fine, I have never once in my life cried or fussed when getting shots etc, even as a new born and infant. Never in my entire life. It was to the point where they doctors thought I had that thing where you can't feel pain.

Yet, my worst nightmare due to LE is needles, reaching into a pocket and getting stuck or anything of that nature.
This place, since the people who go are so sketch, I am petrified of getting some disease. It IS a medical clinic nationwide, the needles and tubing are opened for the first time for each person and thrown away after that.

I am not one bit afraid of being shot, I am not one bit afraid of getting punched, tased on accident, maced, hell I am not even afraid of getting hit by a car.

All those things you can get through with will power, a never die mentality and some first aid and the ER. Yet Hep C, HIV, that'll stay with you and will keep me from being a cop.

Should I stop being so judgmental and quit fearing that anything ghetto will hurt me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 06:29 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,206,448 times
It takes about 3 hours to donate plasma (longer at the end of the month when disability and welfare checks have run dry and the lines are longer). You'd probably be better off signing up for an extra shift at work and saving yourself the heebie jeebies.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:45 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,345,104 times
I think there are better, safer ways to make 20 bucks than to donate blood....but that's just me.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:48 AM

$50.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:55 AM

623 posts, read 1,604,404 times
I get confused by your posts. I thought you were living at home with your mom until you were done with school? What would you need money so bad for? I also thought you just got a job at some retail store?

Anyways. You can donate plasma up to two times per week at a certified plasma donation center. It is a quick way to make money if you need to. Here are some quick facts:

· Plasma products are used for a variety of medical purposes, many of which directly benefit fellow human beings (albeit through channels of capitalism). The end products are useful enough to society that they may justify the means.

· The fact that many indigent people resort to plasma donation for cash is just symptomatic of the way the United States treats its poor. Because our national poverty reduction efforts are inadequate, the real problem is a multifaceted social one that will not be addressed by stopping plasma-for-pay.

· Donating plasma is safer than prostitution!

· Donating plasma is somewhat like donating long locks of hair to make natural wigs. Plasma, like hair, is part of your body that will grow back without repercussion.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
I get confused by your posts. I thought you were living at home with your mom until you were done with school? What would you need money so bad for? I also thought you just got a job at some retail store?

Anyways. You can donate plasma up to two times per week at a certified plasma donation center. It is a quick way to make money if you need to. Here are some quick facts:

· Plasma products are used for a variety of medical purposes, many of which directly benefit fellow human beings (albeit through channels of capitalism). The end products are useful enough to society that they may justify the means.

· The fact that many indigent people resort to plasma donation for cash is just symptomatic of the way the United States treats its poor. Because our national poverty reduction efforts are inadequate, the real problem is a multifaceted social one that will not be addressed by stopping plasma-for-pay.

· Donating plasma is safer than prostitution!

· Donating plasma is somewhat like donating long locks of hair to make natural wigs. Plasma, like hair, is part of your body that will grow back without repercussion.
Why does everyone think that just because I live at home that I don't need money?

I live here rent free, just because I can do that doesn't mean I don't have to pay for all my other things...

My mom can't and doesn't want to do so.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:45 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,700,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
K so my friends mom told me of this place where you can donate plasma for $50 for the first 5 times and $20 each time after.
Isn't that an oxymoron? You would be SELLING your plasma, not DONATING it. SELLING is receiving payment, DONATING is giving for free.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:51 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,847,627 times
In your other post you said you didn't want to get a shot because you where scared of the "HUGE" needle...now all of a sudden you can't feel pain...you don't make much sense..

Old 07-15-2010, 08:51 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,074,532 times
Call first to check, you may not be eligible...if you've been taking narcotics they may want you to wait until everything is out of your system.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 5 days ago)

16,098 posts, read 21,227,265 times
I'm a little mystified by this
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Should I stop being so judgmental and quit fearing that anything ghetto will hurt me?
Won't you have to spend a lot of time around ghetto things and ghetto people when you're a cop? Are you going to back away from helping a victim of crime because they are too ghetto for you and you might catch cooties? Not trying to be harsh, but I would have thought you'd have already been up close and personal with these kinds of people in your training? How are you going to work and deal with sketchy people if you're afraid to be around them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting