Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you let your 16-year old son or daughter carry around a pocket knife for self-defense?
Yes, I would. 17 30.91%
I might with a boy, but not with a girl. 1 1.82%
I might with a girl, but not with a boy. 0 0%
No! I would take it away from them as soon as I find they have it. 30 54.55%
I don't know / Depends 7 12.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 08:31 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,141,965 times

Advertisements

In Minnesota, it is legal to carry a knife on your person for self-defense (as far as I know). Say you have a 16 year old daughter or son and you live in a decent area. You recently out that she or he is carrying around a pocket knife for self-defense. They do not bring it to school, but pretty much everywhere else. He or she does not have a record of violent behavior. Would you be okay with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 08:45 PM

29 posts, read 169,988 times
I think that is insane and asking for trouble. The knife could easily be taken from them and used against them.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:53 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,072,141 times
My child don't go places where they need a knife for protection. Sorry. Besides that she is a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and studies Kickboxing. The knife would be a distraction for her and the least of her attackers worries.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:17 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,842,474 times
I have always just walked with my keys between my fingers at night. I figure things like knives and pepper spray take too long to get out and most likely will hurt me more than them. I had a self defense class and one of the things we learned was "no matter who has the knife everyone is getting cut" during out "how to fend off a knife attack routine"

Old 07-04-2010, 09:22 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,922,004 times
A pocket knife for protection from what? A mad roving block of cheese? An angry apple?
Have him carry a knife as a tool, I am all for that, and that is what pocket knifes are meant to be used for. But a knife is not a useful self defense weapon unless one is trained in the use of a knife (melee weapons are rarely useful to the untrained). Plus,
in self defense for a fist fight - a knife is a weapon, a weapon elevates a fight to an assult with a deadly weapon, and it will be the one with the knife that gets charged. That's prison time. So when exactly do they intend to use it for self defense? In an emergeny anything can be used to stab in vital areas - a pen for instance, keys. If you are that concerned have them take some self defense course as the previous poster indicated, their are better options than a knife.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:32 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,975,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
In Minnesota, it is legal to carry a knife on your person for self-defense (as far as I know). Say you have a 16 year old daughter or son and you live in a decent area. You recently out that she or he is carrying around a pocket knife for self-defense. They do not bring it to school, but pretty much everywhere else. He or she does not have a record of violent behavior. Would you be okay with this?
The opinions of others does not matter. What the law says matters 100%.

You need to be certain of the state laws concerning knives and what blade length defines a "lethal weapon". Then you need to know how your state laws address the possession of knives or other lethal weapons by minors.

Have your teens had training in how to defend themselves with a blade? Serious training by professionals? Are they mentally prepared with the consequences of taking a life by defending themselves with a lethal weapon?

Old 07-04-2010, 09:36 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,697,573 times
Mine carries a pocket knife all the time in her pocket. She uses it for a lot of things.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:36 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,197,805 times
Your 16y/o probably already does carry one. Do you really think that you know everything your little darlings are doing?

Old 07-04-2010, 09:38 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,152,335 times
I've carried a little swiss army knife on my key chain for years but only for convenience with threads, letter opener, tweezers, etc.. I never once thought of it as protection. I give them out as gifts too but I know airports will confiscate them and kids can't even have them in their cars at school. I think Mace would be better protection along with some training in self defense.

Whenever my 4'10" daughter leaves the house I say:

"have fun and be aware of your surroundings."

Old 07-04-2010, 09:46 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,816,265 times
I always used to carry a folding knife in my pocket. It was maybe two and a half inches long, and I kept it razor sharp. I used it to whittle branches into miniature baseball bats. Never thought about using it as a weapon though. It just never occurred to me to even consider it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting