Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you let your 16-year old son or daughter carry around a pocket knife for self-defense?
Yes, I would. 17 30.91%
I might with a boy, but not with a girl. 1 1.82%
I might with a girl, but not with a boy. 0 0%
No! I would take it away from them as soon as I find they have it. 30 54.55%
I don't know / Depends 7 12.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 07:37 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,238,499 times

Advertisements

No
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 10:30 PM

37,158 posts, read 42,302,670 times
I would, either sex, but they don't want to and it would get confiscasted pretty much wherever they went (concerts, airports, school, etc) where no weapons are allowed. I guess it depends on their life/lifestyle but for my kids it would be more of a hassle an one more thing to carry.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:19 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,178,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Your 16y/o probably already does carry one. Do you really think that you know everything your little darlings are doing?
what a sad world you live in...My son does not carry one does not need to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHoss14 View Post
Yes I would let them. I hope my kids grow up shooting guns and knowing how to handle themselves if the time comes so a knife is something small compared to a gun in my opinion.
and yes...this will land them some vacation time for sure...I shake my head in astonishment at parents that actually okay kids shooting guns...this does not solve anything..really? So because you are hoping your kids will know what to do when the time arises I hope the laws agree with your kids...if not? Get familiar with visiting hours, 3 hots and a cot..putting money on the books and so forth..,.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
What's an "explorer"?

We have a neighbor who allows his kids to carry knives with them. One of his boys fell out of a tree. His knife was in a leather pouch/holster thing, but evidently that didn't help much and the knife still went deep into the child's thigh. The boy had to get lots of stitches, and because they lived on a rental property it caused a lot of trouble between them and the landlord for some reason (I don't know all the details, because that family is a bit rough so we keep a safe distance).

We have another neighbor who allows his kids to carry pepper spray with them at all times. One day on the school bus (yes, they carry it at school) the pepper spray went off and got into several kids eyes, including their son who was carrying it. That caused a lot of problems, too.

Personally, I wouldn't let my kids carry weapons/knives/etc. to school, but if they wanted to around town I'd let them as long as they were willing to take some classes first to learn the proper way to carry and use them and as long as doing so wasn't against the laws of our state/county/city.
You posed some very valid issues that other posters may not have even thought of..But I will take it a step further...I am 37..back in the day knives were the weapon of choice and I never carried one..never felt the need to...I got into fights but I did not depend on weapons..just my fists..
And guns and knives were rampant..
I knew back then that fists were self defense..knives and guns called for priors or motive and a whole lot of questions...
Point is? Instead of arming our children..we should teach them to be aware of their surroundings..call for help and be aware of where they are at all times..
Knives and guns on children let alone some idiot adults? Can strip you of your freedom...when will we learn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
unlike TV, using the knife will not be the end of their problems, it will be the beginning.
bingo

Old 03-13-2012, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 924 times
i would not let a 16 year old carry a knife, it is a felony to give a minor a knife in minnesota and if not trained with one if they need to use it, it will hurt them more than it will help them, https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=609.66

Old 03-13-2012, 09:31 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,793,094 times
Absolutely. Id have to check the law, but I suspect it's just fine here in the south. A 16 year old is smart enough to handle a knife, to pull it out to have ready when in risky territory. We live in a safe area but we travel and go downtown. Sometimes all you need to dissuade an attacker is the ability to show you can protect yourself. Having the weapon is often enough protection without having to use it.

I think it's funny that the same people who wouldn't let their kids go to a sleepover without a direct line to mommy and daddy won't let their kids touch a weapon. They're less like children and more like porcelain dolls on this forum.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:43 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,885,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabarrie View Post
i would not let a 16 year old carry a knife, it is a felony to give a minor a knife in minnesota and if not trained with one if they need to use it, it will hurt them more than it will help them, https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=609.66
MN must be more of a nanny state than I thought! I've carried a knife continuously since I was about 11. Never got in trouble with it. It's a handy tool.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:48 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,976,343 times
Personal protection or a weapon that the person who is attacking them will undoubtfully take from their hands and use it on them... come on you really think a 16 year old girl could use that?

I guarantee you, that I would be able to get a knife from just about any 16 year old girl without them even touching me.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:49 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,976,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
MN must be more of a nanny state than I thought! I've carried a knife continuously since I was about 11. Never got in trouble with it. It's a handy tool.
Yeah, but do you really think you could use it as protection against someone who is twice your size? I really doubt that, maybe you used it for other things like going to the woods or playing games.. that's pretty normal, all the guys had pocket knives where I grew up too.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:53 PM

19,877 posts, read 22,782,911 times
I've carried my Boy Scout 4 blade pocket knife with me every day for over 20 years. It's a valuable tool, but a lousy personal defense weapon.

And my 13 yo son knows that as well. It's a tool- not a weapon.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:58 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,545,927 times
knife is a good weapon with proper training and good judgement. kids tend however to put themselves and others in completely unnecessary danger on a regular and frequent basis.
the reason i got this old and never went to jail, is bek i was not armed when the bad stuff happened or chose not to use the weapon no matter what. they lack the avoidance skills of an adult and the judgement necessary. therefore, i think being armed @ 16 is a bad idea. get your training in the military, they are so much better at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting