Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 07:56 PM

294 posts, read 1,107,084 times

Advertisements

My sister who is 25 recently moved in with me after leaving her husband in Mississippi. I guess they have a very different way of raising children down there. She has an 18 month old son who she routinely swears at, and has now began swearing at my kids. She will tell them, " What the f**k are you doing?" "Get your a** over/up here!" "What the f**k is this s**t?" And "Shut the f**k up!" I am also appalled that she tells her child to shut up! I am SO worried that my 5 year old will go into kindergarten this year and start talking like this. I tell my sister all the time to stop speaking to the children like that, but she doesn't listen. I NEVER speak to my children like this, and our parents certainly never did either. Not sure what to do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 08:04 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times
If she wont follow YOUR rules in YOUR house, tell her to get the f**k out, seriously!

Old 06-25-2010, 08:09 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,130,040 times
Pretty easy solution. Tell her to pack her things and be out by tomorrow.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:12 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felicitev21 View Post
My sister who is 25 recently moved in with me after leaving her husband in Mississippi. I guess they have a very different way of raising children down there. She has an 18 month old son who she routinely swears at, and has now began swearing at my kids. She will tell them, " What the f**k are you doing?" "Get your a** over/up here!" "What the f**k is this s**t?" And "Shut the f**k up!" I am also appalled that she tells her child to shut up! I am SO worried that my 5 year old will go into kindergarten this year and start talking like this. I tell my sister all the time to stop speaking to the children like that, but she doesn't listen. I NEVER speak to my children like this, and our parents certainly never did either. Not sure what to do...

Tell her to stop with the swaering or find a new place to live. Why are you allowing her to be a bad influence to your kids?

Old 06-25-2010, 08:14 PM

294 posts, read 1,107,084 times
The reason that she is here is because she has no where else to go. I'm not about to throw her out into the street with a kid.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:15 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
My boss is like that. She has the mouth of a truckdriver and it doesn't occur to her to -not- use it around her child. I have a vuglar tongue too but I know better than to use it in front of kids, or anyone I'm trying to impress, or the elderly (unless I hear them use it first).

I just chalk it up to some people having no class, and encouraging their kids to become centerfolds for Trailer Trash Monthly or Low Rent Magazine.

I feel bad for the kids, but hopefully they'll rise above the level of their mother some day.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:16 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,447,245 times
You could always...you know...talk to her about it....

I would put it in a way that doesn't put her down for her choices, but that your choices for your family are different and if she could please do her best to respect that for the time while she is there.

I would think she would be thankful enough to have a place to live until she can get on her feet to make an effort to alter her behavior slightly for the time she is in your home - out of respect for your lifestyle. After she moves out, how she speaks really isn't something you can or should have any control over. At that point you have a talk with your kids that Aunt Suzie uses some language that people find offensive - while they may hear her speak that way, they are not to.
That should take care of it.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:23 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,130,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felicitev21 View Post
The reason that she is here is because she has no where else to go. I'm not about to throw her out into the street with a kid.
Give her a choice. Stop cursing or leave. You aren't kicking anyone out.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:28 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,406,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Give her a choice. Stop cursing or leave. You aren't kicking anyone out.
Yeah, grow a f***ing backbone and let the b**** make her choice.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:31 PM

18,379 posts, read 19,010,807 times
I agree with the rest of the posters she need to stop swearing at your children or find another place to live. with that being said it sounds like she doesn't know how to be a good parent if she is telling an 18 month old to F. off does she have anger issues, or is she just so selfish she doesn't care about anyone other than herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting