Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:50 AM

2,857 posts, read 10,458,641 times

Advertisements

I'd tell her, her kid can stay with you...but SHE cannot.

I would never allow it in my home....sister or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 12:50 PM

18,512 posts, read 31,756,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felicitev21 View Post
The reason that she is here is because she has no where else to go. I'm not about to throw her out into the street with a kid.
Well that is nice of you to take here in, but i would firmly explain to her that type of language is acceptable in your home. period and end of it. if she is not able to abide by your house rule, then she must leave.

Your house, your rules, you do not have to justify yourself to any body regarding rules made by you, in your house that you pay for.

I really do not like when I heard parents use the F word to little children, it really sickens me.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:51 PM

18,512 posts, read 31,756,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Well that is nice of you to take here in, but i would firmly explain to her that type of language is acceptable in your home. period and end of it. if she is not able to abide by your house rule, then she must leave.

Your house, your rules, you do not have to justify yourself to any body regarding rules made by you, in your house that you pay for.

I really do not like when I heard parents use the F word to little children, it really sickens me.

oops, I meant NOT acceptable.....eek ~!~!

Old 06-29-2010, 12:53 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,241,436 times
For all those saying tell her she leaves and the kid stays, that seems like an awful big assumption that the OP has the ability to care of another child. Hell, the sister may gladly take her up on that offer and never look back.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:22 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,172,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felicitev21 View Post
My sister who is 25 recently moved in with me after leaving her husband in Mississippi. I guess they have a very different way of raising children down there. She has an 18 month old son who she routinely swears at, and has now began swearing at my kids. She will tell them, " What the f**k are you doing?" "Get your a** over/up here!" "What the f**k is this s**t?" And "Shut the f**k up!" I am also appalled that she tells her child to shut up! I am SO worried that my 5 year old will go into kindergarten this year and start talking like this. I tell my sister all the time to stop speaking to the children like that, but she doesn't listen. I NEVER speak to my children like this, and our parents certainly never did either. Not sure what to do...
I laughed out loud (literally) when I saw this post!

My dad and mom were complete opposites in this respect. Growing up, my dad swore ALL THE TIME, even in front of us kids. My uncle (who worked with my dad) did too. But my mom almost never swore. It was a shock - and I mean you could feel a jolt through your body - when she did. Both my dad and uncle came to swear less and less in later years. My parents - even my dad - enforced a strict no-swearing policy with us kids growing up. If you were to swear, you would get your mouth washed out with soap. And so we almost never swore.

Interestingly, all of us kids turned out different in this respect. I almost swear exclusively to myself - I pretty much never do it when other people are around, and kind of frown (at least internally) when they do, especially when girls do. It just seems taboo to me. My brother, two years younger than me (21), swears like a sailor, although he probably picked up the habit not from my father but from his work installing carpet. My sister, at 16, has picked the habit up from her friends, not from my dad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting