Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you living where you want to and why?
No, I want to move elsewhere 25 35.21%
Yes, I love living where I’m at 27 38.03%
I’m just stuck here and need to find someplace else 11 15.49%
I love living with family and friends and will never move 2 2.82%
I hate this place, but the job keeps me here 5 7.04%
I’m here because of my health 0 0%
I’m moving to find happiness and enjoyment 5 7.04%
My kids are in school and I can’t or don’t want to move for now 1 1.41%
I like a small town 10 14.08%
I like a large city 5 7.04%
I like the country 9 12.68%
I like the ocean 13 18.31%
I like the mountains 12 16.90%
I like the Midwest 1 1.41%
I’m arrested and in jail and can’t move for the next 10~20 years 1 1.41%
I lost my car keys and can’t find them 1 1.41%
I’d move but the spouse will only follow or find me 2 2.82%
I now have three spouses in different parts of the country now 0 0%
I'm lost 2 2.82%
Other,,, 11 15.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 06:21 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,682,416 times

Advertisements

I've lived here in western Kentucky all my life...so far. Never been more than a couple hours from the Mississippi River and an hour and a half from the Ohio River. People in this area are always nice and friendly. You will find some, no matter where you go, that wake up on the wrong side of the bed every morning, but overall this is a friendly place. The largest town I've lived in has a population of 16,000. I love small towns. I'm living within 15 miles of the largest man made lake east of the Mississippi River. That makes for plenty of fishing (like I'd catch something? lol), camping and just enjoying the scenery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 10:25 AM

10,228 posts, read 16,370,756 times
Although I've lived in the Portland-Metro are longer, I'm a California native and have always wanted to go back.

My 1st husband wanted to move to Texas and I left in protest, and it proved to be a bad decision because I never learned to like it there. Three years later we moved to Oregon as a compromise. We divorced 8 years later but I'm still here because I paired off with an Oregonian (current hubby).

Oregon's beautiful but I never felt like I "fit" here. Summer is the ONLY season I like here and they feel too short because we have no spring.

There ARE things about California that I do not like, and it's all enough to make me a little nervous about returning. But it IS in my plans to retire there. At this point it appears that I'll be the one to take over the family farm in Central California. Not exactly an ideal way to do it, but the beauty of the farm's location is that it's a short enough drive to many attractions of interest.

I do love California's various 'scapes, it's coastline (at least I can walk in the water without my feet cramping), and its weather is more to my liking. My husband dreads the idea of living there, but he also feels that it's fair for me to go back. And he admits that he'll enjoy his amateur astronomy a lot more there. (In Central California it looks like a million stars on a clear night.)

Old 05-29-2010, 10:26 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,034,978 times
Simply put I'm here til I can get a job which pays enough to move into my own accommodation again. Mind you I'm "lucky" to be here, the alternative is the street.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:35 PM

604 posts, read 861,391 times
I'm a grad student, so I can't leave Miami until I'm done. When that day comes I'll be out of here so fast there will be a sonic boom. I'm going back to the mountains!

Old 05-29-2010, 08:23 PM

8,878 posts, read 13,986,955 times
I chose "I hate it here, but the job keeps me here".

It's not that I hate it here, but I could move from the area and not miss it too much. The area is nice and we have no qualms other than it's just not where we want to be for the long run. On top of that, we have no family or roots put down here, so there is nothing to "stay" for other than work.

I have a good job here and I can see myself staying with the company (knock on wood) until retirement. So, given the circumstances of the economy, my career situation, family needs, etc., I'm not in a position to relocate and have to take a chance on a new job.

We'll see how it goes...

Old 05-31-2010, 03:55 PM

31,304 posts, read 33,015,996 times
^^ That happens for too many people. This is not the time to relocate unless you’ve made all the necessary arrangements first.

With summer started here and temperatures in the high 90’s / low 100’s it’s a reminder of what I’m looking at for the next several months. Makes me want to relocate all the more to a cooler area. I’m still trying to get as much info about other spots to help make a good choice as to where to move when the time comes.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:36 PM

11,864 posts, read 11,082,926 times
I voted love living where I'm at because I do. No where else I'd rather be

Old 05-31-2010, 04:58 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,506,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Need a license plate brackett that says:
"Happiness is...not living in New Jersey"
Sorry...I beg to differ.

Move where I am (central SC, out in bum****) for a year, and I guarantee you'll miss Jersey.

Not sure what part of Jersey you're from, but I am from Cape May, and I dearly miss the shore lifestyle: the ocean, the Boardwalk, the changing seasons, cheesesteaks, real hoagies, even "shoobies". Not to mention my friends and family.
The only things I like about SC (in comparison to NJ) are no snow, low humidity, Southern hospitality, sweet tea, and 24-hour WalMarts. There is nothing to do here, and the days are the same-hot and sunny, no seasons at all.
When I was in NJ I hated it, until I moved here and saw how the other half lives. Now I can't wait to go back, but money is an issue, as renting a place in NJ usually requires a huge loan and an offer of a small child as a sacrifice.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:38 PM

52,821 posts, read 48,276,239 times
Default No Place Like Home Fits Here

Yes, I am, to answer the OP's question. I've got a great apartment where I'm not far from anything. It's nestled in the northern suburbs of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. There's an international airport (the second-largest in the U.S.) within a fifteen-minute drive. Downtown Dallas is within twenty minutes. Frisco is fifteen minutes away. Same thing with work. I'm within ten miles of about ten different grocery stores that I can shop at, and in that same circumference, about two hundred restaurants where I can satisfy my taste buds. A mall is across the freeway from my apartment. Major highways to key locations intersect about a mile away from me. We've got professional sports and fine college teams. There are also many parks and recreational facilities and numerous places to entertain myself. You can find anything you crave right here where I live. It's an unbeatable location.

Sure, it does get hot here for six months out of a year (heck, we've got plenty of inland water, and that includes swimming pools), but I'm used to that. This area is still one of the most livable places to be lived in anywhere in America, and in a state where the economy is better than any other. I have plenty of reasons to brag. The Sun Belt is where I belong. I'd get bored up north. If I didn't live here in Lewisville, and if I could afford it, it would definitely be Frisco, one of the country's most energetic and creative new suburbs. Otherwise, if I had to leave Dallas, I've got Houston, Austin, and Lubbock on my list of places I'd love to move to. The thing is, they're all in Texas, and that's fine with me. This place is so good! You could never pry me away from this state with a crow bar.

If Heaven were a place on this great earth, it'd probably look like Lewisville. This is where I want to be. That is, until I get to the real thing.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:14 PM

677 posts, read 1,626,449 times
I live in Wisconsin, where I have been my whole life. If I had it my way, I would be traveling the world right now and not settling anywhere, OR I would have an apartment in Colorado or California so that I could finally start my pet family. Unfortunately, I can't do either due to financial constrictions HOWEVER, I am hoping to overcome that obstacle in the next year or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics