Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2006, 11:14 AM

393 posts, read 1,880,712 times

Advertisements

Gosh, I want to try it everywhere it seems.......I wouldn't mind living and experiencing Italy, although I have never been there, or Holland..........Then there are places in the US I would like to live for a while. I am going crazy because I only have one chance at living anywhere I want. I would like to try ID for a while........CO for a while.........OR for a while.........Or how about the NW in Portland.........CT and VT are AWESOME. How about the mtns of TN?
<<sigh>> How do I live out my dreams if I don't know where I want to live them? I guess I love excitement and trying out new things, but at the same time I hate leaving the old and familiar! Oh and don't forget about beautiful Alaska.............LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2006, 12:59 PM

8,938 posts, read 20,362,856 times
A lot of retired folks travel all over the U.S. in beautiful RV's. Don't necessarily know how long they stay in one area, but they do see a lot of the U.S.. Unfortunately, some of us in our late 50's that will be looking at retirement in a few years, we won't have the "retirement money" that others have.
I have never been on a Cruise, but my wife has. Next year (hopefully) we will be taking a Cruise to the Carribian, which should be very cool.
There is a lot of places in the U.S. that we haven't been to and with the cost-of-living nowdays versus vacation money, we probably won't get to see as many as we would like to. Oh well, that is just the "hard facts of life!!"

Old 12-03-2006, 01:41 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,263,520 times
That is one thing I enjoyed while driving truck with my husband. Got to see most of the US witht he exception of Hawaii, Alaska and the New England states, otherwise saw several states I'd never been to before.

Old 12-03-2006, 02:00 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,095,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygal View Post
Gosh, I want to try it everywhere it seems.......I wouldn't mind living and experiencing Italy, although I have never been there, or Holland..........Then there are places in the US I would like to live for a while. I am going crazy because I only have one chance at living anywhere I want. I would like to try ID for a while........CO for a while.........OR for a while.........Or how about the NW in Portland.........CT and VT are AWESOME. How about the mtns of TN?
<<sigh>> How do I live out my dreams if I don't know where I want to live them? I guess I love excitement and trying out new things, but at the same time I hate leaving the old and familiar! Oh and don't forget about beautiful Alaska.............LOL
Ok, try preparing for a job that takes you to a lot of different places. Many people don't like to travel in their jobs, but you sound like a perfect candidate for that! Otherwise, prepare for a lot of travel during your retirement. I barely got west of the Mississippi River until I retired and we have taken several cross-country trips. The longest we stayed away from home was 3 months -- which was plenty for me. We stay a week or two in places we really like or had planned to visit and then hit the road again. It has been an absolute joy! There are lots of full-time RVers out there, but I think I'd just feel lost if I didn't have a home to come home to. Don't quit dreaming anyway!

Old 12-03-2006, 05:31 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,391,026 times
I'm with you on this one Sillygal. I want to live everywhere, to experience life in all sorts of different places. I want to visit and live in practically every city in every state in every country on Earth although I realize the impossibility of it. All that I want to do is travel. Anyone have any good job recommendations for that? I'm thinking.....wizard?

Old 12-03-2006, 05:35 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,782 times
A good job to be able to do something as travel to so many different countries/areas would be a translator with many different languages mastered!

Thought about doing what sillygal wants to do many times!

Old 12-19-2006, 09:09 PM

152 posts, read 732,124 times
I know the feeling. My career is to live and work in as many places as possible even if it it means roughing it. The good part is you can live like the locals. The downside is the need to set in roots. Tearing up relationships is hurtful.The upside is that you can keep in contact with people much readily these days. Teaching English is one route. Get a few other skills that are in short supply by taking several correspondence courses. Try couchsurfing.com
and get to know people on line. The world is a closer friendlier place these days although when we hear the new it seems that is all flying apart

Old 12-19-2006, 10:30 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,391,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Pristupa View Post
I know the feeling. My career is to live and work in as many places as possible even if it it means roughing it. The good part is you can live like the locals. The downside is the need to set in roots. Tearing up relationships is hurtful.The upside is that you can keep in contact with people much readily these days. Teaching English is one route. Get a few other skills that are in short supply by taking several correspondence courses. Try couchsurfing.com
and get to know people on line. The world is a closer friendlier place these days although when we hear the new it seems that is all flying apart
That site is awesome! I never heard of it. I'm going to spend hours on it now probably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics