Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 06:14 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,147 posts, read 30,454,817 times

Advertisements

When I was a young whipper snapper I had a really strong memory: mind like a steel trap!

Now in my 40s I still remember lots from childhood. I can still make new memories and find my way home at night. I can remember stuff when I "apply myself," as the teachers used to say.

But I'll be in the car to run an errand started five minutes ago and have to remind myself...okay, where my going? Oh, yeah, to Kroger to get TP. Better not forget that!

I have lots of lists. Sometimes lose a list or a reminder. Don't ya hate that? Bugs the crap out of me.

I do have a LOT on my mind. Am I going senile or is this normal? How has aging change or "enhanced" your memory storage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 06:32 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,802,361 times
What was the question again?

Old 04-22-2010, 06:39 PM

44,661 posts, read 61,729,772 times
Yep, after 35-40 everything starts to deteriorate. Memory loss, aches and pains, more memory loss, more aches and pains, then you have to take vitamins and other supplements to sustain daily life and then Viagara for the night life.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:51 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,720,230 times
Lots of things. B-12 was found missing in my body which is strange for a meat eater. I take injections. Good thing wife is nurse. Now my oldest daughter is almost 40 she to is having to take b-12 being anemic and she is an omnivore. Family thing with us I guess. I found my self going to the bathroom medicine cabinet looking for the tea pitcher and to the fridge looking for the porcelain throne. The give away there was a problem my photographic memory's shutter quit working. Anything I needed to learn new at work drove me up a wall. Didn't find out until two years after giving up job.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:59 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,341,723 times
hey I don't u guys probably just have a lot on your mind. Maybe. Be encouraged. I heard it gets better.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:31 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,587,747 times
Do you really want to know??????

Old 04-22-2010, 11:45 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,602,086 times
Wait until you start mixing up the words you meant to say with other words not intended or adding a slur to some words. I actually read this is perfectly normal in what else...a womans mag as I thought I was coming down with Alzheimers DH is doing it too

Old 04-22-2010, 11:50 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,720,230 times
My doc tells me as long as you know you are forgetting stuff it's not ALZ. That made me feel a lot better.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:29 AM

23,265 posts, read 29,113,630 times
With memory loss will come much-longed-for weight loss. The more memory you lose, the less time you will have to spend counting calories. And instead of restricting yourself to one piece of cake lavished with frosting, you can have 3-4 pieces, and dollops of ice cream on top, if you wish.

You get settled into your second floor bedroom for the night. Light out. Panic! Did I turn the stove off? Down the steps you go. Stove off. Up the stairs you go. Light out. Did I lock the doors? Down the steps you go. Doors locked, up you go again. Lights out. Did I leave the car running in the garage after driving back and forth to the grocery store a half dozen times because I kept forgetting to buy this or that? Down the steps you go.
Aha! So glad you checked. There's the car running, with the keys in the ignition, fumes building up in the garage. Whew! Now you know you'll sleep like a baby once you climb those steps again, knowing if you hadn't checked on the car, your house would have filled up with carbon monoxide.

Finally asleep, 5 minutes later, you wake up with a start! You were watering the lawn earlier. Oh shoot! Did I turn the water off or am I going to wake up with a flooded backyard, flooded house and flooded neighbors? This time you run down the stairs, out the backdoor you run stark naked! Whew! Water was turned off, but luckily you were able to hear the lawnmower running.
You forgot to turn it off earlier.

Back to bed. This time, even before you turn the light off, panic once again! Down the stairs you go again to see if you turned the stove off.

Enjoy your extra pieces of cake!

Last edited by tijlover; 04-23-2010 at 12:31 AM.. Reason: Add a line

Old 04-23-2010, 03:58 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,554,956 times
There are two possible reasons for your memory loss.

1. See those gray hairs? Well...they're not really hair. That's brain cells leaking out.

2. Your mind is like a computer. When your RAM gets full, each new thing you learn over-writes an old file.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics