Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 05:35 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,477,061 times

Advertisements

I never realized how sentimental and how much certain items meant to me, until we were hit with Hurricane Ike a few yrs. back. My husband was in route home from a business trip and the plans were to evacuate as soon as he hit the doorstep. He's telling me to grab Ins. papers and the important papers out of the safe....and I'm walking around my home...realizing I may never see some of the items, that I hold so dear. An antique table my Great-great Grandfather made for a wedding gift to my Mom. A hope chest, my Dad gave my Mom (both of my parents had just recently passed) My kids baby pictures( they are on a disc NOW) little odds and ends my kids made and gave to us as they were growing up. How does one put a price on any of that? Junk to most...precious to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 05:48 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,719,713 times
I have alot of baby pictures as well as many family pictures along with cards my mom and dad gave each other over the years and now I do the same thing. I wear my grandmothers wedding ring and have my fathers diamond ring and cross to pass down. My mom was an elephant collector so I still have all her collection and have added some more from time to time. I still have all her VHS tapes and record player which I am finally giving to a friend of my daughter probably this weekend. Believe it or not I still have the keys to where my parents lived...I know..what for?

Old 04-22-2010, 06:47 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,440,737 times
Nice thread Glory.

I don't have a sentimental bone in my body When it's done...it's done. But I did enjoy hearing about what others care about.

Oops, hubby just corrected me. I have one thing that I love and it took forever for us to find. That's my wedding/engagement upgrade ring. I love it. It took years to find because I seem to be a little picky, lol.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:05 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,306,695 times
I'm not overly sentimental because most thing are just STUFF. I do have a music box and a clock from my grandparents in Germany (no longer living) that I do haul around from place to place and never feel quite at home until I find a special spot for both of those. I will pass them down to my own daughter one day.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:08 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,368,366 times
My father's Air Force wings are very special to me.

Also, I have a wonderful old rocking chair that my maternal great-grandfather made for my grandmother when she was newly married.

Plus, I have a bookcase my father made in high school. It's unusual in that it was made to hold his pages of music and the bottom shelf is very deep for those sheets of paper. I love that bookcase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics