Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 05:12 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times

Advertisements

Junk mail

I can’t believe I continue to get so much junk mail. I get things that I never wanted companies that never did business with, and never will. I try to keep my name and information off the marketing lists but somehow it doesn’t help, it keeps on coming.

Public records with the city, county and state seem to be sold to advertising or marketing people who then add you to the list.

I never fill out the coupons or warranty cards when I buy things because they also add your information to lists that again are sold to marketing groups. Magazine subscriptions are another place where your information is SOLD. Seems everyone makes a buck off of my address.

The worst offender is COX cable trying to sell or push their services. I seem to get junk mail from them weekly. If I wanted COX cable tv or phone service I would have called them. It’s been years now that I continue to move mailed trash from this company and put it into the garbage only to have the city pick it up and haul it away. I’ve called in the past and they say they will take my address of the list, but it never happens.

What can a person do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 05:20 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
The Direct Marketing Association is the main organization that distributes information about consumers to its 4,500 member companies. Let the DMA know you want to be removed from their lists. Your name will remain off the lists for five years. Site also has info on telemarketing lists.
Try not to fill out forms for contests and things like that. Whenever you purchase something stores send and sell your information to Mail Preference Service and places who sell similar products purchase target marketing lists from these marketing list firms.

Last edited by Thursday007; 01-12-2010 at 05:50 PM..

Old 01-12-2010, 05:58 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
Thanks Thursday! I tried the links and they’re dead at this time and I can’t connect with any of them. It could be trouble at my service providers end? I’ll try again later.

However,,,,, removing the name is one thing, most of the junk mail comes addressed to “Current Resident”, Occupant, Resident, Homeowner and a few others that I can’t remember at this moment. Do you know if the “address” be removed or only the “name”? That would make a big difference in how much mail stops.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Thanks Thursday! I tried the links and they’re dead at this time and I can’t connect with any of them. It could be trouble at my service providers end? I’ll try again later.

However,,,,, removing the name is one thing, most of the junk mail comes addressed to “Current Resident”, Occupant, Resident, Homeowner and a few others that I can’t remember at this moment. Do you know if the “address” be removed or only the “name”? That would make a big difference in how much mail stops.
Click on the last link I posted where it says 'remove your name from lists you asked for it ' and try hitting the links off that site. This link works http://www.govspot.com/ask/nameofflist.htm

They delete your name AND the address. Companies who sell things can purchase marketing target lists a variety of ways and one being simply a specified geographic area which is why you will get mail that says "Resident" on there

Old 01-12-2010, 06:32 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
What I'd like to know is what the Funeral Parlors know that I don't know. I get more burial junk mail from them than any other source.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
What I'd like to know is what the Funeral Parlors know that I don't know. I get more burial junk mail from them than any other source.
Are you retired, on social security or receive medicare or over 50? These are some of the ways you are targeted.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:57 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post

That's funny to me. I've contacted places about cremation and also about donating my body to science and I didn't get any call backs or any info sent to me. Maybe they think I'm too young.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:57 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
This site can help as well: https://www.optoutprescreen.com/opt_form.cgi

Old 01-12-2010, 08:25 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Aks I take their junk and put it back into their prepaid envelopes after using a sharpie to say "take me off your list". Had to do it a couple of times but I don't get the junk anymore. They pay the postage to send it to me & for me to send it back.

Also fast food joints that gives you a receipt telling you to take their survey. They are just info collectors same as Wal Mart, Target etc receipts filling theirs out for a "chance" at $1,000.00. Ever hear about anybody winning the money? Me neither.

Good luck.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:34 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Aks Also fast food joints that gives you a receipt telling you to take their survey. They are just info collectors same as Wal Mart, Target etc receipts filling theirs out for a "chance" at $1,000.00. Ever hear about anybody winning the money? Me neither.
It's even worse if you sign up for a store's "preferred customer" club or "rewards card." Then they can track what you buy and tailor their marketing cr@p to what they think will suck you back in to drop more money. I've gotten to where I don't even go to one particular bookstore, because the sales clerks are so aggressively persistent about trying to get me to sign up for their sucker's list - oops, I mean Rewards Card - whenever I buy anything there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics