Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 02:40 PM

600 posts, read 3,452,730 times

Advertisements

Dang! I didn't know this was going to be an essay question!

Every history book, every accounting of him as a soldier/statesman depicts him as a natural leader, only asking his men to be accountable and give their best. His tactics were creative and effective. His character has historically been described as "unassailable" (Sumter) "unwavering in courage and character (Morgan) and "a man whose morals and courage engendered morals and courage from those who served with him." (Greene)

He has also been described personally as "Dour-faced", "Somber", and "somewhat lacking in the social graces." Since he didn't drink, those descriptions would be relevant coming from the rich planters of the time and place, who drank for recreation.

Racist? Well, probably. It was the mid-to-late 1700's.
Whiney? I never read that anywhere. I'd be interested to see that resource.
Crude? Cruel? I think you have him confused with Col. Tarleton.
Effiminate? Whaaat?

Okay. Seriously, I don't mind being wrong. But he's always been my hero, and if you can show me anywhere that he was any of the things which you ascribe to him, I'd be happy to read it and have my opinion changed.

Low country hearsay doesn't count.

Regards,
Streamer1212
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 06:29 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,589,651 times
My Hero's work at Yorktown Weapon Station near Norfolk, Va. 5 ordinary Joe's that went to work that morning as usual. At work, they heard a explosion and ran into the hall to see what happened and saw a man walking down the hall on fire, screaming "HELP ME! HELP ME!". They got him down and pulled the burning clothes off of him and beating out the fire with their bare hands. They stayed with that man even after being ordered to evacuate the building that was now on fire. They refused to leave that man, telling them "WE go out when HE goes out!", and they stayed until the man was taken out. No one knew what they had done until the next day when they all showed back up at work with bandaged hands and someone asked what happened to their hands. They saved that mans life and the life they saved was my oldest son. THOSE guys are OUR HERO'S and always will be. They are called "Eddies Angels" as they saved Eddies life.

That was 5 years ago this coming May. I hope God Blesses those men 1000 fold for giving us the gift of Eddie's life. The were properly recognized in a ceremony and given metals for their heroic act after Eddie was released from the hospital the following year.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:18 AM

2,179 posts, read 3,410,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
My Hero's work at Yorktown Weapon Station near Norfolk, Va. 5 ordinary Joe's that went to work that morning as usual. At work, they heard a explosion and ran into the hall to see what happened and saw a man walking down the hall on fire, screaming "HELP ME! HELP ME!". They got him down and pulled the burning clothes off of him and beating out the fire with their bare hands. They stayed with that man even after being ordered to evacuate the building that was now on fire. They refused to leave that man, telling them "WE go out when HE goes out!", and they stayed until the man was taken out. No one knew what they had done until the next day when they all showed back up at work with bandaged hands and someone asked what happened to their hands. They saved that mans life and the life they saved was my oldest son. THOSE guys are OUR HERO'S and always will be. They are called "Eddies Angels" as they saved Eddies life.

That was 5 years ago this coming May. I hope God Blesses those men 1000 fold for giving us the gift of Eddie's life. The were properly recognized in a ceremony and given metals for their heroic act after Eddie was released from the hospital the following year.
Wow! Beautiful, touching, I think they're my heroes too! I'm glad your son is ok. Mr. humble

Old 01-13-2010, 02:47 PM

24,542 posts, read 26,100,212 times
About 5 years ago I meet a Medal Of Honor Awardee. When he spoke at the dinner I was attending, I couldn't get over how humble this man was. When I got home, I researched his life and I was in awe of what he had accomplished.

Since them, I have meet 6 other MOH Awardees and I found that the word humble was a common trait in these Heros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics