Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 09:50 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,204,852 times

Advertisements

Merry Christmas one & all finally able to come over to the computer to see how my QOD friends are doing. Thank you hdinia when others do the QOD with a comment it makes us appreciate Karla even more for doing it everyday for us. Thanks Karla for all you do!

What is the biggest storm you have experienced?
Been in many but 1983 and 1990 were probably the worse. 1990 with the blizzard we lost power for 14 days had to heat by kerosene (yuck), cook on the grill and get buckets of snow to melt on the heater to flush the toilet. We drew up jugs, buckets & coolers ahead of the storm since we are on a well but ran out of flushing water. Used the coolers to hold water so we had to stick our meat in the deep freezer out in the snow banks until a cooler became available. Still lost more than half a side we had just butchered 6 weeks before the storm hit. That was the first year my city slicker XH lived in the country and he said we didn't need a generator when I told him we better go buy one. He bought one later but we never had to use it.

Do you like sound to accompany your storms? Wind, Thunder, Lightning, etc.
No

What is your favorite way to pass the time during inclement weather?
Since we usually lose power we have to use oil lamps, candles and camping lanterns to play board games. Even if we don't lose power but get snowed in we do board games it is automatic it seems now to bring them down.

Today in History:
1963 Walt Disney's "The Sword in the Stone" is released
Walt's nephew Roy (named after his dad; Walt's brother Roy) was instrumental in bringing back Disney when the company was going down hill in the 70's. Roy Jr. passed away Dec. 16, 2009 that was the last living relative that had direct contact with Walt that actually worked for Disney. FYI

Today's word:
Embonpoint \ahn-bohn-PWAN\ , noun;
1. Plumpness of person; stoutness
So Santa has a name for his belly roll eh?

Enjoy the day one & all we are finishing up watching the Disney Christmas parade then will eat later this afternoon. Stay safe all!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 09:54 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,448,423 times
Merry Christmas Everybody!

I don't remember the year, but when I was in Jr. High, back in St. Louis, we had a storm over New Years that knocked out the power for days. We had to do all our cooking in the fireplace!

I love lightning and thunder storms. When we were kids my parents used to pull the dining room chairs out onto the porch so we could watch the lightning. We don't get many of those kinds of storms here in Southern California, but during the last one we did have, I sat out on the porch and reminisced.

Extra Credit:

Playing board games, or, if I'm alone, reading.

I didn't get to post in yesterday's QotD thread, so if no one minds, I'll respond to a couple of posts here. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post

I there one C.C that have recorded by several different artists ? I don't think there's a Christmas Carol that HASN'T been recorded by several different artists!
The other day I downloaded and burned some CDs with Christmas music I got from feelslikechristmas.com
Quote:
PERMITTED USES OF THIS MUSIC

The songs on this site are provided for free, legal download...but there are a few restrictions. Since we receive a lot of questions about this, here are some guidelines:

unrestricted personal listening is permitted. This includes listening on a personal computer, burning a personal CD and transfer to a personal listening device (i.e., iPod or MP3 player)

burning a copy to give to a friend as a GIFT is permitted, as is sending an MP3 as an email attachment

. . .
There are quite a few contemporary songs that have been written and performed by artists who haven't become famous yet, or famous enough to have their work covered. Here's one you may like. . .

Joy to Everyone - Jenny Jordan Frogley & David Osmond (click the download link from here - it won't actually download onto your computer, but will open in a new window or tab and start playing. It just won't let me link directly to the mp3 page.)

A few others below. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post

What is your all time favorite Christmas Carol(s) ? I don't think I have any. I'm not much into Christmas carols, and I think many of them sound very sad, seriously they give me the blues...
You might like one or more of these. . .

The Santa Claus Rock - Howard Scott Pearlman (link here)

Merry Little Christmas to You Too - The One Eyed Jacks (same link as the one above)

Let's Be Naughty (and Save Santa the Trip) - Elliott Yamin

As for some of my favorite Christmas music (yes, Jewish girls can enjoy Christmas music, too. ), a couple that I really like are. . .

Hark The Herald Angels Sing/Angels We Have Heard On High - Straight No Chaser (a simply beautiful a cappella version, found on this page)

and

Carol of the Bells

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbWKdmlvXT8

Old 12-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,150,553 times
Merry Christmas!

Today’s Question:

What is the biggest storm you have experienced? I guess Hurricane Gloria. I think that was '85.

Do you like sound to accompany your storms? Wind, Thunder, Lightning, etc. Lightning & thunder is cool...

Extra Credit:

What is your favorite way to pass the time during inclement weather? If I have electicity, I like to read. No electricity~break out the wine!

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-25-2009, 11:41 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,029,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Right now I would say what we're experiencing right now. It's been snowing since Weds evening and the worst is to hit this afternoon.
Lacey - I just came in from shoveling the WALL at the end of my driveway The snow is so saturated with water that it's like shoveling mud (only white). A neighbor & her daughter in the block behind me went to L.A. for the holidays () and she asked me to pick up the mail. I THOUGHT I would help her out by shoveling her driveway. I got the walkway done and almost had a stroke (not really). I'll try again tomorrow, unless of course one of her other neighbors does it. I doubt that will happen. OK enough - enjoy your day!!

Old 12-25-2009, 11:48 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,884,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post

Hark The Herald Angels Sing/Angels We Have Heard On High - Straight No Chaser (a simply beautiful a cappella version, found on this page)

and

Carol of the Bells

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbWKdmlvXT8

Wow, that video is very spectacular, just as the lights are! Thanks for posting it.

Old 12-25-2009, 12:08 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,866,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post

Lacey - I just came in from shoveling the WALL at the end of my driveway The snow is so saturated with water that it's like shoveling mud (only white). A neighbor & her daughter in the block behind me went to L.A. for the holidays () and she asked me to pick up the mail. I THOUGHT I would help her out by shoveling her driveway. I got the walkway done and almost had a stroke (not really). I'll try again tomorrow, unless of course one of her other neighbors does it. I doubt that will happen. OK enough - enjoy your day!!
MN-still snowing here and I went to sweep the porch in front of the door and it's very heavy snow-nothing like the talcum powder we had last time. Those wonderful county plow guys made a mountain at the end of our driveway. Just waiting for our guy to show up late tonight or tomorrow morn. Will have cabin fever by then and want to get Christmas cards at Hallmark for next year!

Old 12-25-2009, 12:33 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,039,877 times
I hope everyone is having a great Christmas! Mine has been delayed a little since my family from the Dallas-Fort Worth area can't get here yet due to an unexpected snow storm in our area. Hopefully the roads will improve and they'll be here tomorrow.

Today’s Question:

When living in Texas you generally experience a lot of bad thunderstorms, especially in the spring so I've seen some really big ones!...LOL. Probably the worst of all was about 7 years ago we had a sudden outbreak of several very violent supercell thunderstorms that rolled into our immediate area. In a 5 hour period we were slammed with large hail, high winds, flooding rains, and there were about 6 tornados on the ground within about 15 miles of my house. The most amazing thing was that none of the tornados entered our city (one got very close-within a mile or so before going back up into the clouds) It was a very scary afternoon!

No, especially not at night (I'm a light sleeper)

Extra Credit:

Get on the PC, watch movies or sports, and listen to music...wait a minute..I do that ALL the time!....LOL

Old 12-25-2009, 01:29 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,743,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdinia View Post
Merry Christmas Everyone!

Since I have not been able to play along lately I thought maybe I would try my hand at putting together the QotD. The weather here the last couple of days has not been pleasant. DH had me call DS and tell him not to try and come over until the road crews have had more of a chance to get out. Too much ice and snow drifts and blowing snow still out there. So how about we get to…

Today’s Question:

What is the biggest storm you have experienced? hurricane hugo 1989 nearly a cat 5 storm, almost died in it!! power was out for 3 months where i live and as long as 9 months for people living on top of mountains

Do you like sound to accompany your storms? Wind, Thunder, Lightning, etc.yep all the thunder and lightning, wind that goes with a storm . but don't want a hurricane though, just to devastating

Extra Credit:

What is your favorite way to pass the time during inclement weather? well if we are getting hit by a hurricane i like to see all the stuff flying thru the air... and listen to the wind howling. with all the thunder and lightning.

Today in History:
1223 St Francis of Assisi assembles 1st Nativity scene (Greccio, Italy)
1896 "Stars & Stripes Forever" written by John Philip Sousa
1931 NY's Metropolitan Opera broadcasts an entire opera over radio
1963 Walt Disney's "The Sword in the Stone" is released
1983 1st live telecast of Christmas Parade

Today's word:
Embonpoint \ahn-bohn-PWAN\ , noun;
1. Plumpness of person; stoutness

Today is:
Christmas
National Pumpkin Pie Day mmm good stuff

Hope everyone is able to spend some time with loved ones today - in person or on the phone if being together is just not possible.

PS. I have even more respect and admiration for Karla with a K after having to find this info today! Thank you Karla!

To the Elf Squad: Thanks for the report (and the giggle!)
marry christmas to all cd land

Last edited by cruxan; 12-25-2009 at 01:39 PM..

Old 12-25-2009, 02:53 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,249,764 times

SMILEY CHRISTMAS FUN!

Old 12-25-2009, 04:59 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,010,712 times
Today’s Question:

Having grown up in Alaska I have seen many rather nasty storms. It is hard to pick one over another.

I do enjoy a good lightning/thunder storm. I also like the wind.

Extra Credit:

I like to sit on the porch and enjoy the storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics