Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 08:50 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,460,439 times

Advertisements

Merry Christmas everyone. Thank you hdinia for doing the QOD. I don't know how Karla does it either.

What is the biggest storm you have experienced?

There are 2 where we lost power for a couple of days. I hate losing power and my poor stepdaughter has no power at her house today. Bad ice storm.

One was during an ice storm in the 70's and we all camped at my neighbor's house. She had a fireplace and a gas grill. The next was the summer hurricane Charley came through. We had to evacuate. Thankfully we were able to go back home the same day.

Do you like sound to accompany your storms? Wind, Thunder, Lightning, etc.

[B]Love the sounds of a storm as long as I am safely inside.[/b]

What is your favorite way to pass the time during inclement weather?

Snuggle with my hubby and watch TV or read a book, as long as we have power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 08:55 AM

54,500 posts, read 33,920,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 115db View Post
No sooner than we got in the car, a bolt of lightning hit the tree nearby and boy, the loudness and the brightness scared all of us.
I think I mentioned this to you before, and I posted about it, but I'll mention it again. In August of 1975, a thunderstorm was coming in (I was 18 and I lived at my parents' house at the time) and I went outside to roll up the windows in my car back then (a 1967 Chrysler) The car was parked directly under a tall silk oak tree, and under a tree is NOT a good place to be standing when lightning hits. I rolled up the windows, and ran back into the house, and just as I closed the door, a lightning bolt hit the tree I was under less than 10 seconds earlier!

I looked outside again and I saw the top of the tree was on fire, and debris from the tree was scattered all over the front yard, and on top of my car.

Heavy rain came in and it put the fire out, but the tree died, and I know somebody was guarding me that day.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:59 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,725,501 times
Merry Christmas everyone!

Today’s Question:

Too many to count, but a memorable one was on Christmas a few years ago. Driving home from my Uncle's house (usually a 30-45 minute drive in good weather) was a nightmare and took three hours. We had to get out every few minutes to scrape the ice off the windshield and wipers. When we got back home we had to snowplow and shovel, which sucked, and my sister had to leave her cavalier in our driveway overnight and the next day so we could dig it out, because the snow was up past her windows.

When I was a kid we'd also get bad rain storms every Spring and our street would flood since we lived downhill from the rest of the town.

Sometimes I don't mind thunder or lightning if I'm trying to sleep, but I don't like to be out and about in a thunder storm.

Extra Credit:

Play video games and read.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:01 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,887,852 times
Right now I would say what we're experiencing right now. It's been snowing since Weds evening and the worst is to hit this afternoon.

I am terrified of wind.

Pass time by cooking,snacking, reading.

Merry Christmas all and great job HDIN!!!!

Old 12-25-2009, 09:07 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,725,501 times
I have to agree with those of you who said you don't like wind. I don't like winds either! When I was a kid we had some wind damage done to our property over night. Whenever it's windy I always think a tree or something is going to come down on top of me.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:09 AM

24,570 posts, read 26,127,399 times
Probably a snow storm back in the 40's in Cleveland, OH.
Then there was the 30 days(seems like it) of rain and flooding in So CA in the early 70's.

Bring on the thunder and lightning. No wind please.

Extra Credit:

I'm good to go with CD and reading.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:11 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,344,921 times

Merry Christmas!

Today’s Question:

What is the biggest storm you have experienced? Several years ago, I was gone shopping with my brother and it started raining very, very heavily. We only had a few miles to get back home (we still were at our parents') but it took us ages to get there, as roads were flooding quickly. We eventually made it but had to change roads very often until wer found one that was Ok. When we arrived, my parents were doing there best because the first floor was beginning to be flooded. We spent the whole night taking the water out of the house. In the morning it was getting better but there were no more clean sheets or towels left in the house since we used all we had

Do you like sound to accompany your storms? Wind, Thunder, Lightning, etc. No. They don't scare me but I don't like them.

Extra Credit:

What is your favorite way to pass the time during inclement weather? Watch TV or a DVD (provided the power is not gone!), read, and things I won't talk about here

Today's word:
Embonpoint \ahn-bohn-PWAN\ , noun;
1. Plumpness of person; stoutness
Another French word! .

Today is:
Christmas
National Pumpkin Pie Day Not for us, today we'll have chocolate chip cake!

Hope everyone is able to spend some time with loved ones today - in person or on the phone if being together is just not possible. No, just the two of us. Our families called yesterday as they were not sure to be able to do so today.

Have a wonderful day!

Old 12-25-2009, 09:32 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,044,471 times
Speaking of Hurricane Charley - we haven't heard from him - perhaps he's busy with his new job in the Elf Squad? If I'm wrong, I apologize to whomever it really is BUT - my antennae are pointed in that direction.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:32 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,719,399 times
JEREMY AND RUDOLPH ARE HAPPY TO COME AND REPORT THAT SANTA MADE IT THROUGH.......

SANTA WAS ABLE TO CALLED MRS CLAUS ON HIS CELL PHONE...
AND WITHOUT ANY LONG DELAY, MRS CLAUS WAS ABLE TO GET A HOLD OF MAGNUM MIKE TO FLY HER QUICKLY TO THE COFFEE SHOP WHERE SANTA WAS HELD UP AND BRING TO HIM RUDOLF'S EMERGENCY (just in case) NOSE....

THANK GOODNESS THAT SANTA REMEMBERED, (not having any senior moments ) TO PUT RUDOLPH'S NOSE ON THE CHARGER EARLY THAT MORNING.....wOO hOO!!!

AND NOW WE WOULD LIKE TO WISH....
ALL YOU WONDERFUL PEOPLE AT CITY-DATA AND THE FAITHFUL MEMBERS OF "QOTD".....

A VERY, VERY.......
........................FROM: SANTA, MRS CLAUS, THE ELF SQUAD, AND LATTE'!!!

GREAT JOB.........HDINIA!!!!!

Old 12-25-2009, 09:41 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,044,471 times
Latte - you ole weasel! You are the Elf Squad!! Such a clever girl!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics