Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 08:28 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,635,318 times

Advertisements

People who volunteer others for an event without first consulting the person they are volunteering. Someone recently volunteered me to make deviled eggs for a luncheon event expecting over a hundred people. I left it up to my friend-walking-on-very-thin-ice that I would do nothing of the sort and he would have to pass that on himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 09:03 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,363,475 times
Oh, I hear you on that one, Alice!

I was a board member for a local non-profit group a few years back. It so happened that on the exact same date the group held their annual election for board members and officers of the board, I was scheduled for surgery for what both my surgeon and I thought could quite possibly be advanced ovarian cancer. Since I was obviously not going to be in any condition to attend the actual election, I had told the board president ahead of time that I was willing to continue to serve as a board member, but only if my health permitted and if the rest of the group wished me to do so.

Surgery went well, the results were astonishingly all benign, and I began the process of recovery, grateful for what felt like a new lease on life. I got home from the hospital a few days later, and once I felt up to sitting up for a while, logged in to my email to see what had been happening. Lo and behold, there was an email from the president of the board of this organization. It read "congratulations, we elected you Secretary, hope you're feeling better by now."

Yes, I served as secretary, but at the end of the year I made it quite clear to the board president that I was no longer willing to serve the group in any capacity. I still support what they do, but there simply aren't enough hours in my life to work for an all-volunteer group that treats its members with such an appalling lack of simple common courtesy.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:16 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,938,335 times
That was outrageous Alice. Total lack of consideration for what your plans may have been.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:36 PM

228 posts, read 476,451 times
Oh Wow. Sounds like something my husband's sister would do to me (when we lived in Arizona). I would be like...WHAT!?! Or how about when your kids invite people for lunch or dinner...and you have NO idea company is on the way over. Talking about Awkward!

Old 10-12-2009, 12:01 AM

27,454 posts, read 27,487,042 times
Depending on the occasion, I dont mind being volunteered for something. Most of the time Im designated driver when going out with friends if theres going to be any drinking involved, but once in awhile it would be nice to enjoy a bloody mary or a strawberry daquiri too. Not that I mind all that much, better to be designated than in jail, eh?

Old 10-12-2009, 12:21 AM

15,927 posts, read 8,160,412 times
If anyone did that to me, it would be the last time!!! LoL!!!

Old 10-12-2009, 04:42 AM

16,805 posts, read 40,090,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
I left it up to my friend-walking-on-very-thin-ice that I would do nothing of the sort and he would have to pass that on himself.
Kudos to you for standing your ground. I know people who would have meekly agreed to make the eggs, then turn around and ***** about it to anyone they can for the next year.

EDIT: What is this, kindergarten? No "b" word allowed? How dumb.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:42 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,902,979 times
My mother always did this to me-she would invite loads of people to her house and then tell me I'm doing the cooking. Could that be why I moved 1500 miles west?

Old 10-12-2009, 04:56 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,206,244 times
Oh I hear ya Alice..... I know exactly how you feel

I have felt the same way before where people or individuals just assume you'll do the deal.

I have found over time that the nice person or that person who helps or steps up on occassion is usually the one that this happens to

People just assume or think you'll jump right in and do it with no consideration whatsoever

Sometimes you just have to act like the "Odd Egg" and say no

Old 10-12-2009, 04:56 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,618,179 times
I agree. Totally disrespectful. While I was attending a Realtor convention one year, I called home to find out how everything was going only to be informed of my nomination as President of a chapter of an organization that had been newly formed in our community. It was an honour and I decided to accept, but never would again. I do find that when you miss meetings you do wind up being 'chosen' to take on tasks that normally you would never volunteer for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics