Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 06:39 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,537,173 times

Advertisements

Good morning all.

So my friends/family/neighbors thought I was "strange" when I Told everyone that I live Off Grid_, well just wait till they hear I (we) are going to build our own class B van conversion motor home_.

Bonus Question:
Sudcaro & elston had great ideas and suggested I ask

What do you call
A long roll with meat & cheese ? Hero or Sub.
A mix of milk, ice cream & flavoring ? Yum that would be a shake.
Carbonated beverage ? soda

Mix the 2 for an ice cream soda.

I know I can't be the only one here that has many versions of a favorite song sung by different artists.

So does anyone else do this ? Not really.

If so, which song do you have the most versions of ? I do have "How Do I Live" by Trisha Yearwood and Leann Rimes. Is that what you mean?
Just for Fun:

Who knows how to play these card games :

Bridge ? No.
Hearts ? Yes.
Pinochle ? No.
Texas Hold'em ? Yes.
Euchre? I learned it one winter at a campground but I wasn't a fan.
Canasta? No.
Cribbage (14-2 in some areas)? No.

My favorite card game with a group of people is called "May I". We used to have a blast playing with an older couple we knew.

Word of the Day:
lucubration \loo-kyoo-BRAY-shun; loo-kuh-\ , noun:
Ok, you don't even know what I thought that word was until my eyes focused.

Thank you so much Karla for taking a lot of time out of your day to post the QOD every day.

Last edited by ylisa7; 09-15-2009 at 07:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 06:42 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,714,516 times
So my friends/family/neighbors thought I was "strange" when I _bought a manufactured home in DE______, well just wait till they hear I ____still clean on weekends?_______. This is a tough one. I'm racking my brain.....whats left of it anyways.

Bonus Question:

What do you call
A long roll with meat & cheese ? hoagie
A mix of milk, ice cream & flavoring ? ice cream soda
Carbonated beverage ? soda

Extra Credit Question:

I know I can't be the only one here that has many versions of a favorite song sung by different artists.

So does anyone else do this ?

If so, which song do you have the most versions of ? only things I can come up with are "on top of old smokey" and "on top of spagetti".
Opps........got to go chase my meatball.

Just for Fun:

Bridge ?
Hearts ?
Pinochle ?
Texas Hold'em ?
Euchre?
Canasta?
Cribbage (14-2 in some areas)?

OMG.........where is hand and foot??? Don't know any of the others except I think pinochle is like hand and foot.

Today in History:
1913 - 1st U.S. milch goat show held, Rochester, New York.
1928 - Alexander Fleming discovers penicillin his last name is fleming....as in flem or phlem.
1949 - WJXT TV channel 4 in Jacksonville, Florida (CBS) begins broadcasting - lol I am watching this channel right now !!!
1949 - "Lone Ranger" premieres on ABC-TV and hi ho silver...
1971 - 1st broadcast of "Columbo" on NBC-TV DH got such a kick out of this guy. LOL!!
1982 - 1st issue of "USA Today" published by Gannett Co Inc

Word Today is:
National Linguini Day yum..........shrimp lingunine
Make a Hat Day are you kidding..........I burn hats
National Thank-You Day To karla for all the wonderful days she provides for us with the Q of the Day thread.
Hi-Ho Silver Day[/quote]and who is that mask man???

Happy Tues everyone............

Old 09-15-2009, 06:44 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,607,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
Question...(hand waving furiously...)

What region of the US do people call them hoagies???

Midwest??
No I grew up in Illinios....they were subs.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:01 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,072,762 times
Today's Question(s):

So my friends/family/neighbors thought I was "strange" when I re-landscaped my entire yard - hauled brick, stone, rock, gravel, dirt, mulch, trees, plants (lots of them)_, well just wait till they hear after many years, I am finally almost finished - I've decided it's now OK and will stop. Lots of work, I have totally transformed my hugh yard. I now have many different gardens with interesting borders and edging. I even put patterns in the rock area using gravel and different kinds of rock. Will this keep me here? Nope - come spring (if home prices are up at all, I'm selling and moving on) It's been great therapy and keeps me in shape. Neighbors walk by and look at hugh piles of rock. etc... and look at me and can't believe that I'm going to do this. Showed them, I did! Lots of walking traffic.
Bonus Question:

What do you call
A long roll with meat & cheese ? hoagie, sub - grew up in MN
A mix of milk, ice cream & flavoring ? If malt flavoring is used then malt. If not, shake.
Carbonated beverage ? I use the brand name (Coke, pepsi or just root beer). Occasionally 'pop'. A "soda" will get you pop + ice cream

Extra Credit Question:

If so, which song do you have the most versions of ? Probably Christmas music

Just for Fun:

Hearts ? Yes

I play Freecell & Solitare on the computer

Today is:
National Linguini Day
Make a Hat Day
National Thank-You Day - here's to Karla for taking the time to do this for us!
Edit: I just had to share this with you - last night, about 2 a.m. I woke up to my dog doing a high pitched yip - about 1 yip every minuute. I got up to find her in the kitchen staring at the drawer under the oven. She saw me and got frantic. I thought, man, this is too early to deal with whatever monster is behind there. She wouldn't stop - she's part Brittany and she has strong hunter instincts. My other dog just layed there like" Will you shut her up!" So I got a hammer, broom and a thick pair of gloves and started pulling everything out of the drawer. Nothing there so I pulled the drawer out (scared out of my wits). Well, 2 years ago when I replaced my old stove. there was a dead mouse behind the old one (eeewwww) so before I put the new one in I put down mouse killer. Sure enough - there was a recently dead (not all shrivelly yet) mouse. We ceremonially (is that a word) took it out to the garbage can and she was so satisfied and so pleased with herself. Good puppy!!
Hi-Ho Silver Day

Last edited by Umbria; 09-15-2009 at 07:42 AM..

Old 09-15-2009, 07:02 AM

149 posts, read 229,325 times
1. So my friends/family/neighbors thought I was "strange" when I put sweetner on mashed potatoes and gravy, well just wait till they hear I would rather eat carrots than cookies!

2. a) sub sandwhich
b) milkshake
c) soda/pop

3. Christmas music

4. a) no b) yes c) no d) yes e) yes f) no g) no

*Since its Thank You day.......THANK YOU ALL FOR CONTINUALLY PEAKING MY INTEREST AND MAKING ME SMILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-15-2009, 07:03 AM

48,474 posts, read 22,136,072 times
Today's Question(s):

Today is a big day for me....my DP has been in Japan for the past 5 weeks; he gets home this evening!

Bonus Question:

What do you call:
A long roll with meat & cheese ? In Maine that is an "Italian Sandwich" or "an Italian" for short. In neighboring NH we called them "Subs", but the rolls were sometimes labeled "Grinder Rolls" in the supermarket.

A mix of milk, ice cream & flavoring ? I now call it a "milk shake" but I usually ask, "Does that have ice cream in it? just to be sure. Formative parts of my childhood were in RI and there a milk shake is just that....milk and flavored syrup (usually coffee) and a "cabinet" is flavoring, milk with ice cream and an "Awful Awful" (sold at the Newport Creamery is an awful big and awful thick milk shake or malted milk shake).

When I lived in Cincinnati....we called them "frappes".

Carbonated beverage ? I grew up calling them either "tonic" as the generic word or by the type or brand. Mom made and bottled root beer....and we called it by that title, "May I please have a root beer.....or an "orange crush" I am still more apt to say Ginger Ale or Coke than "soda"...but soda is now the generic.
Extra Credit Question:

I know I can't be the only one here that has many versions of a favorite song sung by different artists. So does anyone else do this ? If so, which song do you have the most versions of ?

I have multiple versions of "Amazing Grace" on different Albums and different versions of some of the Bob Dylan songs that were covered by others......also "We Shall Overcome" and some of the Pucinni arias I have by different artists.

Just for Fun:

Bridge ? Not Me.
Hearts ? Not Me.
Pinochle ? Not Me
Texas Hold'em ?Not Me.

I did waste a lot of time playing Euchre while I was in College, and High Low Jack on quiet nights when I worked the third shift at a psychiatric hospital; the only card game I still play (and that is only with one set of friends...is Hand and Foot.

Last edited by elston; 09-15-2009 at 08:05 AM..

Old 09-15-2009, 07:06 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,072,762 times
Yea, Elston! You've waited a long time and been very patient. Have a happy reunion!

Old 09-15-2009, 07:07 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,865,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I did waste a lot of time playing Euchre while I was in College
Is that the game with a quarter and massive amounts of beer?

Oh, I played that game a lot in college...

Old 09-15-2009, 07:10 AM

18,292 posts, read 26,077,090 times
Good morning! Today's questions:

So my friends/family/neighbors thought it was strange when I _____, wait till they find out that I _____! Ooh, I'm stumped-gotsa to think on this one!

What do you call
a long roll with meat and cheese? Hoagies
a mix of milk, ice cream, and flavoring? Milk shake
carbonated beverage? soft drink

Extra credit question: Which song do you have the most versions of? As I'm a fan of bluegrass music, I'll go with "Foggy Mountain Breakdown."

Who knows how to play these card games?
Bridge? No
Hearts? Yes
Pinochle? Yes
Texas Hold 'em?No
Eucher? No
Canasta Yes
Cribbage? Yes

National thank you day! A thank you for Karla for her questions!
Have a great Tuesday!

Old 09-15-2009, 07:20 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,718,341 times
[quote=Karla with a K;10762447]Is in the works !!!
lol I got up early this morning
So everyone get ready to hold your spot

Is everyone ready !!!

Good morning
Happy Tuesday

So I got an early start because today is office day for hubby and he left about 5:30

So it gave me the chance to get a early jump on

Today's Question(s):

So my friends/family/neighbors thought I was "strange" when I _______, well just wait till they hear I ___________.

Bonus Question:

What do you call
A long roll with meat & cheese ? A hero. Make mine chicken parm. please.
A mix of milk, ice cream & flavoring ? A milk shake. Yummy chocolate.
Carbonated beverage ? Soda. Pepsi Max, please.

Extra Credit Question:

I know I can't be the only one here that has many versions of a favorite song sung by different artists. " I have a CD of various artists singing songs by "The Eagles."[

If so, which song do you have the most versions of ?

Just for Fun:

Bridge ?
Hearts ? Yes.
Pinochle ?
Texas Hold'em ?
Euchre?
Canasta?
Cribbage (14-2 in some areas)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics