Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 11:28 AM

373 posts, read 1,859,606 times

Advertisements

I think people who don't secure their networks are inviting others to use them. I really believe it's your responsibility to secure your own network. There are a great many people out there who purposefully leave their connections open because they don't believe that "the man" should determine what we can pick up over the airwaves. So, yes, it would be stealing. But, as an aside (that is not an attempt to rationalize the stealing), your neighbor is either trying to be generous or is too naive to close his or her network. Either way, by asking your neighbor, you'll let him/her know that the network is open. They have security issues right now, and it might be nice to tell them or find out if they're trying to let people hop on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 11:54 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,580,097 times
HereinFla, I'm not sure I understand how the service works down there. Wouldn't it be more of an issue of stealing from the company versus stealing from your neighbor?

I've got to give you a lot of credit for even asking this question. Even though what you were doing may not be right, it does show that you definitely have a conscious.

Old 03-31-2007, 12:11 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,755,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
HereinFla, I'm not sure I understand how the service works down there. Wouldn't it be more of an issue of stealing from the company versus stealing from your neighbor?

But it is stealing from the company. She may be accessing the net through her neighbor's airwaves, but that neighbor has to be paying someone, including purchasing a wifi system for the house. It's like the person who splices into their neighbors cable and runs wires to their house for cable. The neighbor is still paying, and the company is losing out on the splicer.

When staying at hotels or having coffee at Starbucks or Caribou they offer free internet usage through their network.

Old 03-31-2007, 12:17 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,564,223 times
Well here's my take on it if anybody even gives a rats a**, give & take a tit for tat, you have the good guys then you have your run of the mill a**holes, it's a chance you take by asking then being turned down but if only you wouldn't have dropped your service then I could say well nothing gained nothing lost but forget that, the ugly guy on your left shoulder says naaa just keep using it an be quiet about it, the guy on the right shoulder says do the right thing, usually when people are confronted face to face with a situation as such they are going to say sure you can use it just as long as it doesn't create problems for them, so yea take the chance knock on the door and put it to the guy tactfully and chances are your going to come out on the good end, but if he says no well at least you then don't have to be looking over your shoulder at the good guy and feel guilty.

Now in reference to ethics, doctors, lawyers, religious leaders all are supposed to have high ethics, well hmm let's put this in perspective, I know several docs that have there office set up as to get as many patients in & out as possible in a day, they sit & have meetings on how to produce more income per patient, how can we move more through our office, they even joke about well I moved 40 through today how many did you do, then the next month it's ok we'll move 45, all the drug reps that come pouring in day after day, you scratch my back I’ll scratch yours crap, patient care some have it but others it’s all about money.

Legal professionals, you don't think there's a lot of back scratching going on there, behind closed door deals.
Religious leaders, oh yea top of the list catholic priests, need I say more, not all granted but well were not talking just a hand full either, let's see they have picnics, social involvement, supposed to show good values, set good examples & what's the biggest thing there beer drinking & gambling, but it's ok since it's for a good cause, yup that shows the young people a lot there.

Now don’t read too much into this, I’m not saying it’s ok to do this or that but face the facts, we all have that bad guy on our shoulder tempting us daily and yes we sometimes do take the unethical way, so the I’m a good guy I never do wrong bull is just that.

Old 03-31-2007, 12:21 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,304,016 times
Default Closing arguement

First of all, to respond to some previous posts- I didn't search for another hookup and say "Hey, let's take this guy's access and kill ours." We had Comcast and had a lan. When we moved the main PC, only our laptops worked. So when my son came over a week or so later, I asked him to "fix" the desktop PC and he discovered that we weren't using our service, but someone else's.

My son actually made the same comment that Cosmic made- that they probably just left it open because they didn't care if anyone else used it. I didn't think much of it and he reconnected the lan the right way and from then on we were mostly accessing our service, but other times I would check and saw that it was the neighbor's service.

So, is wireless connectivity the same as online radio? If I can hear my neighbor's radio, should I close my windows or offer to share the cost? If their lights shine on my walk, should I chip in on their electric bill? Or is it like using their hose to water my lawn or sneaking into their house and eating their food?

Now, I pose those questions just to point out that I don't think it's as universally black and white as some would suggest. However, I am not defending the current situation because, as several have also stated, it obviously bothered me, so it obviously wasn't okay with me. I wouldn't fault anyone who felt that it was okay to do, either. That is why I posted this thread- I had this niggling feeling in the pit of my stomach about it and was curious how folks felt.

You all have made excellent points and I appreciate it.

Old 03-31-2007, 12:22 PM

282 posts, read 1,268,239 times
Anyone can park outside my front door and tap into my internet connection. Although they wouldn't be doing that for a prolonged period of time. My brother lives upstairs from me, so rather than have him pay for internet, he taps into mine since I already have a router for my laptop. It doesn't affect my connection at all.

As for telling him, it would be the right thing to do. He'll probably be mad, but if you offer to make amends like the sharing of the driveway, paying half....whatever, he might be cool with it.

Good luck. Hope it all works out!

Old 03-31-2007, 12:24 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,304,016 times
Thumbs up The conclusion

Saw my neighbor about half an hour ago and he said that they don't care. When I offered to share in the expense he waved his hand and said "don't worry about it."

What an anti-climax!

Old 03-31-2007, 12:25 PM

926 posts, read 1,464,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
First of all, to respond to some previous posts- I didn't search for another hookup and say "Hey, let's take this guy's access and kill ours." We had Comcast and had a lan. When we moved the main PC, only our laptops worked. So when my son came over a week or so later, I asked him to "fix" the desktop PC and he discovered that we weren't using our service, but someone else's.

My son actually made the same comment that Cosmic made- that they probably just left it open because they didn't care if anyone else used it. I didn't think much of it and he reconnected the lan the right way and from then on we were mostly accessing our service, but other times I would check and saw that it was the neighbor's service.

So, is wireless connectivity the same as online radio? If I can hear my neighbor's radio, should I close my windows or offer to share the cost? If their lights shine on my walk, should I chip in on their electric bill? Or is it like using their hose to water my lawn or sneaking into their house and eating their food?

Now, I pose those questions just to point out that I don't think it's as universally black and white as some would suggest. However, I am not defending the current situation because, as several have also stated, it obviously bothered me, so it obviously wasn't okay with me. I wouldn't fault anyone who felt that it was okay to do, either. That is why I posted this thread- I had this niggling feeling in the pit of my stomach about it and was curious how folks felt.

You all have made excellent points and I appreciate it.
From just reading your posts, I can tell that you are sincerely a good and moral person. You can gank my internet anytime and I won't even park in your drive

Old 03-31-2007, 12:27 PM

926 posts, read 1,464,835 times
"What an anti-climax!"
LOL..too funny

Old 03-31-2007, 12:28 PM

282 posts, read 1,268,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
Saw my neighbor about half an hour ago and he said that they don't care. When I offered to share in the expense he waved his hand and said "don't worry about it."

What an anti-climax!
Glad it worked out for you!
That's cool that he's good about it, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics