Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 10:52 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,195,186 times

Advertisements

I have a Fb account but only so I can view occasional pages; it's under a faux name and I don't "do" anything with it. So for all intents and purposes, I do not have a valid Fb account. FWIW, I am in my 50s and most of my friends don't do Facebook although a few do.

The issue: How much of a second party's information is it OK for Facebook users to share on their account, without permission?

I had a backstage pass to see Alice Cooper last month, and emailed a somewhat dorky photo of me and Alice Cooper to several friends. One of those friends put the picture and my accompanying note on her Facebook page, along with my name. She has about 260 "friends" - some of whom I know IRL, most I don't. Her Wall and other Fb pages are not private; I think they are viewable by just about anyone.

At first I didn't think anything of it, then I started to get irritated. I didn't send out a photo to a whole lot of people I don't know; I sent it to exactly seven people I know personally. For some quite valid reasons, I try to keep a fairly low online profile and people who know me (including this friend) know that I dislike social networking sites generally becase we've talked about it. I'm hardly a Luddite....I maintain two blogs and am quite open about some areas of my life and interests, just in a selective way.

There wasn't anything about either the photo or the text I'd put in the email that was TMI, but I would have appreciated being asked if it was OK to plaster on a Facebook Wall first. I probably would have said yes, but that really isn't the point. I guess it's a reminder that everything one puts out online, even in a private email, is fodder for today's blurting and spewing of personal information on social networking sites, whether mundane or significant.

What non-public information about a non-public person is it OK to share with basically everyone on Facebook? School grades? Photos of that person, their kids, their friends? Relationship or work status? Unflattering swimsuit shots? Is it OK to put what you think is a fun or inocuous photo sent to you in a personal email (along with that person's name) to be publcally viewed by basically anyone with an internet connection without permission?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 11:19 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,948,659 times
IMHO, once you pushed the send button on the e-mail you sent (containing the picture), it is on the public domain and available for anyone to do with what they wish.

I wouldn't like it if someone redistributed my pictures as they did to you, but I don't think they are to be blamed for anything other than poor choices.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:59 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,379,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
IMHO, once you pushed the send button on the e-mail you sent (containing the picture), it is on the public domain and available for anyone to do with what they wish.

I wouldn't like it if someone redistributed my pictures as they did to you, but I don't think they are to be blamed for anything other than poor choices.
This. OP: You put it out there, deal with the consequences.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:23 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,215,637 times
Actually, you're dead wrong. That is not what public domain means at all. You do not own it anymore than I own the copyrights to Die Hard just because someone gave me the DVD box-set as a gift. This is actually a violation of Facebook's policy btw, a double whammy.

Facebook Copyright Policy | Facebook

You asked if it was ethical, I'd say at best tacky at worst unethical (not for opinions/data but yes for photos/videos/intellectual property). The law and site rules are another aspect.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:24 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,490,389 times
The entire point of Facebook is to invade your privacy.

Didn't you know that?

Old 09-20-2011, 12:38 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,039,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I have a Fb account but only so I can view occasional pages; it's under a faux name and I don't "do" anything with it. So for all intents and purposes, I do not have a valid Fb account. FWIW, I am in my 50s and most of my friends don't do Facebook although a few do.

The issue: How much of a second party's information is it OK for Facebook users to share on their account, without permission?

I had a backstage pass to see Alice Cooper last month, and emailed a somewhat dorky photo of me and Alice Cooper to several friends. One of those friends put the picture and my accompanying note on her Facebook page, along with my name. She has about 260 "friends" - some of whom I know IRL, most I don't. Her Wall and other Fb pages are not private; I think they are viewable by just about anyone.

At first I didn't think anything of it, then I started to get irritated. I didn't send out a photo to a whole lot of people I don't know; I sent it to exactly seven people I know personally. For some quite valid reasons, I try to keep a fairly low online profile and people who know me (including this friend) know that I dislike social networking sites generally becase we've talked about it. I'm hardly a Luddite....I maintain two blogs and am quite open about some areas of my life and interests, just in a selective way.

There wasn't anything about either the photo or the text I'd put in the email that was TMI, but I would have appreciated being asked if it was OK to plaster on a Facebook Wall first. I probably would have said yes, but that really isn't the point. I guess it's a reminder that everything one puts out online, even in a private email, is fodder for today's blurting and spewing of personal information on social networking sites, whether mundane or significant.

What non-public information about a non-public person is it OK to share with basically everyone on Facebook? School grades? Photos of that person, their kids, their friends? Relationship or work status? Unflattering swimsuit shots? Is it OK to put what you think is a fun or inocuous photo sent to you in a personal email (along with that person's name) to be publcally viewed by basically anyone with an internet connection without permission?
Well, my first instinct is to say that once you give something like a photo out to someone the photo belongs to that person. It's their property. But I think if you were a real stickler you could argue that there's an element of copywrite infringement when that person copys it and sends it to whomever. You'd probably have a difficult making that fly legally, however.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:05 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,377,347 times
I find it disturbing when people post my pictures on Facebook, and I always take the step to untag them. I'm especially weary when they are of my children. I've bitten my tongue, so far, because it is by family members with good intentions. But I do resent them taking liberties that I have not authorized.

But on another note, do you really want to get into an ethical discussion on your friend's use of facebook when you have deceived and misrepresented yourself to set up a fake facebook page? Kettle, meet pot.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:17 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,828,503 times
I would ask said friend to remove the picture and ask that it not happen again w/out your permission. Lesson learned.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:18 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,195,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
So emails are never private? What would make an email different to, say, a photo and letter sent through snail-mail, a text with a photo sent to a friend's phone, or private information disclosed during a phone call? Would it have been OK, then, for that person to theoretically post that photo with my full name and accompanying email on a billboard on I-75? Or in the local newspaper in a feature article titled Really Dorky Photos?

IANAL but I think anything that I personally would put on Fb or a blog is by definition out there in public domain, absolutely. But an email sent to a friend? I think one ought to have (generally speaking) some expectation of privacy. What if the reason I don't use online social networking is because I'm being stalked? As I said, I've had conversations with this particular IRL friend and others about my overall concern about privacy and general discomfort with so much being shared online generally, when she's asked me why the heck I don't just get on Facebook like everyone else.

Hypothetical: What if, instead of a photo, I had emailed this friend with concerns that I was concerned because my 14-year-old son was struggling with his sexuality. And that friend posted the information on Facebook. With possibly dire consequences. Still OK, because having emailed that information, it's now public domain?

Quote:
Agreed. My main question though, was where is the line drawn?
To reiterate: I didn't really mind that photo being put out there. It's sort of dorky and here it is. It did really get me thinking about the whole ethics of posting someone else's photo or information on a social networking site without permission, though.

Lesson learned indeed....if I know someone has a Facebook (or other social networking site) account I will be less likely to share, or if I do, will remember to make a specific request for them to not post what I share if I don't want it to be out there.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:22 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,828,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
So emails are never private? What would make an email different to, say, a photo and letter sent through snail-mail, a text with a photo sent to a friend's phone, or private information disclosed during a phone call? Would it have been OK, then, for that person to theoretically post that photo with my full name and accompanying email on a billboard on I-75? Or in the local newspaper in a feature article titled Really Dorky Photos?

IANAL but I think anything that I personally would put on Fb or a blog is by definition out there in public domain, absolutely. But an email sent to a friend? I think one ought to have (generally speaking) some expectation of privacy. What if the reason I don't use online social networking is because I'm being stalked? As I said, I've had conversations with this particular IRL friend and others about my overall concern about privacy and general discomfort with so much being shared online generally, when she's asked me why the heck I don't just get on Facebook like everyone else.

Hypothetical: What if, instead of a photo, I had emailed this friend with concerns that I was concerned because my 14-year-old son was struggling with his sexuality. And that friend posted the information on Facebook. With possibly dire consequences. Still OK, because having emailed that information, it's now public domain?

Agreed. My main question though, was where is the line drawn?
To reiterate: I didn't really mind that photo being put out there. It's sort of dorky and here it is. It did really get me thinking about the whole ethics of posting someone else's photo or information on a social networking site without permission, though.

Lesson learned indeed....if I know someone has a Facebook (or other social networking site) account I will be less likely to share, or if I do, will remember to make a specific request for them to not post what I share if I don't want it to be out there.
seriously! Are you to be believed???????? You get on CD upset someone posted your pic on FB because they have 200+ friends and you're a private person.................then YOU post the pic on CD; which has thousands (???) of members??!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics