Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 06:44 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times

Advertisements

In the late 1960's a friend invited me to go to the Church of Scientology in Los Angeles. I went with her several times and even went through some basic level auditing but dropped out after a few weeks. I never went back. Today, more than 40 years later and half way across the country, I received a call from the Los Angeles center. Yes, they still have my name in their files but I have had 8 different addresses since then, all with unlisted phone numbers. They have my current address but didn't have my phone number (it's still unlisted so the phone listings should have been no help to them) until a family member here in Nebraska gave it to them. (They called someone in the same town with the same last name, who happened to be my son and my grandson gave them my number.) I talked to them quite awhile, mainly because I wanted to know how they had had found me after 40 years. (The callers didn't know--all they have is a folder with my name and current address in it.)

The purpose of the call was to let me know of a "monumental event that occurred in Scientology in 2007" (a phrase that was used four times during the course of the conversation) and to send me a DVD describing this event. I told them the only "monumental event" I was really interested in after 40 years was how they managed to get my current address. It boggles my mind a bit that they would even be interested in tracking down people who were once on their periphery 4 decades previously but that is nothing more than an eyebrow-raiser to me. What I really want to know is how did they find me after all these years? Are there any members here who might know how they managed to track me down after all this time? No, I never gave them my SS# and, as I said, my phone is unlisted. What's more, I've even changed the spelling of my first name since then, so that alone could conceivably have made me more "untraceable".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 07:01 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,533,906 times
Try typing your name into here, you might be surprised! People Search - Find Public Records at PeopleFinders

Old 04-12-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
Try typing your name into here, you might be surprised! People Search - Find Public Records at PeopleFinders
You're right. I was surprised. That link gave me 6 of the last 8 places I have lived plus the names of my children and one of my DILs. However, it did not give my current location. I guess it isn't hard to find anyone anymore.

ETA: This site even has my late husband still listed and he died in 1983.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:23 PM

27,345 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Oh youd be surprised at how a person can find you if they REALLY wanted to.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:32 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,533,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Oh youd be surprised at how a person can find you if they REALLY wanted to.
Like if you owe them money!

Old 04-13-2009, 06:22 AM

It was the forty year span of time and the multiple locations from Year 1 to Year 40 that got me.

I guess no trail ever really goes cold until the final address is the graveyard.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:34 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Looks like the problem was with family members and/or friends who ratted you out. That’s sad that it happened however when going off into seclusion you need to do it like the government witness protection program where you’re entire past identity is taken away from you. Nothing of the past can remain connected to you or they’ll find you.

One of the tricks I’ve learned is to spell your name backwards so you’ll fool ‘em. Nobody has yet figured out that I’m not who I claim to be. However I’ll tell you my first name is Bob so you see how well it works? LOL Remember spell your name backwards always works.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:55 PM

656 posts, read 2,742,722 times
Why don't you just start up a 'I hate Tom Cruise web site'

I'm sure the Church of Scientology will not bother you again

Old 04-13-2009, 06:43 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Sounds to me like they're desperate for $$. That is their game after all, imo.

I guess the recession hits fake religions too.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:46 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post
Why don't you just start up a 'I hate Tom Cruise web site'

I'm sure the Church of Scientology will not bother you again
Good idea! Or tell them to call back in about 6 months - you should be off all your meds by then!

Seriously, tho...that is really scary that they would track you down after all these years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics