Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 11:13 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,645,332 times

Advertisements

Good morning to all CD friends this very fine and very early morning!

Word for the day is:
fissiparous
(adj)
1. Producing new biological units or individuals by fission.
2. tending to break up into parts,

The quote for today is:
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. ~ Sir Winston Churchill

On this day in history:
1792 - George Washington exercises his authority to veto a bill, the first time this power is used in the United States.
1923 - Firestone puts their inflatable tires into production

1961 - Barbra Streisand appears on "Jack Paar Show"
1987 - Fox TV network premieres showing Married With Children
1990 - John Stockton reaches 1000-assist mark for NBA record 3 years in a row
1990 - Paul Newman wins a court victory over Julius Gold, to keep giving all profits from Newman foods to charity

The questions for today are:
Have you already consumed a confection intended for the Easter celebration? That would include Reese's Peanut Butter eggs and chocolate bars in the shape of rabbits.

Do you look for hybrid types of plants and seeds for the garden or shy away from anything suggesting it is a hybrid ? Do you have a reason, either way ?

Do you or have or have you ever had a spice or kitchen garden that grows on the inside of a window in your home ?

Have you ever kept pet birds ?

I won't mention any names, but I know someone who does...

If yes, what kinds of things did you provide for them as treats or toys ? These enjoy chewing out the insides of thick branches picked up in the woods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 11:50 PM

31,304 posts, read 33,027,431 times

Have you already consumed a confection intended for the Easter celebration? That would include Reese's Peanut Butter eggs and chocolate bars in the shape of rabbits. ~ Yes on everything except “PEANUT BUTTER” items!

Do you look for hybrid types of plants and seeds for the garden or shy away from anything suggesting it is a hybrid ? Do you have a reason, either way ? ~ No not yet.

Do you or have or have you ever had a spice or kitchen garden that grows on the inside of a window in your home ? ~ No,,, never

Have you ever kept pet birds ? ~ yes,,, long ago when I was a kid.

Love the photo of the bird however,,,,,, fascinating

Old 04-04-2009, 11:51 PM

31,304 posts, read 33,027,431 times
Good morning East Coast!

Old 04-04-2009, 11:59 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,694,009 times
Alice, you're on the ball this morning! The day isn't even a half hour old and you've got us our questions! lol
Have you already consumed a confection intended for the Easter celebration? That would include Reese's Peanut Butter eggs and chocolate bars in the shape of rabbits. We had our marshmallow peeps! lol

Do you look for hybrid types of plants and seeds for the garden or shy away from anything suggesting it is a hybrid ? Do you have a reason, either way ? I plant seeds. just seeds. if they are hybrid? Fine! If they aren't? Fine!

Do you or have or have you ever had a spice or kitchen garden that grows on the inside of a window in your home ? My mother has grown just about everything inside a window, on the cabinet, in the bathroom, you name it, she may have had a plant there. lol

Nope!

Old 04-05-2009, 12:06 AM

4,503 posts, read 6,348,227 times
[quote=AliceT;8195169]
Have you already consumed a confection intended for the Easter celebration? That would include Reese's Peanut Butter eggs and chocolate bars in the shape of rabbits.

Nope, I think about getting something when I pass a display but I manage to resist (so far anyway). For the last couple of years I have been getting my daughter a stuffed rabbit instead of chocolate on Easter, because she gets so much from other people. She likes the stuffed bunny better anyway because she gets to keep it. She'll probably grow out of that soon, if she hasn't already, better check before the end of the week.

Do you or have or have you ever had a spice or kitchen garden that grows on the inside of a window in your home ?

No, but I have thought of doing it. You just made me think of it again....

When I was little there was an avery in the back garden that had doves and a few other kinds of birds in it but they weren't exactly pets, I didn't have much to do with them. My Aunt had a cockateel called Jack that used to fly free around her house and land on your head to say hello, or he would ambush you when you walked past a certain table that he liked to stand under.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:52 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,082,717 times
1987 - Fox TV network premieres showing Married With Children

I love great moments in television ... a world series game, the first space flight, the landing on the moon, the falling of the Berlin Wall, the inauguration of a President, and of course ...

Old 04-05-2009, 05:20 AM

48,468 posts, read 22,132,437 times

Fortunately, that is not one of my temptations.....and unless I am in a real candy shoppe type store I figure the novelty candy made for holidays....is melted down and re worked from the last holiday....I don't know why I think that....but it keeps me from buying any.

Do you look for hybrid types of plants and seeds for the garden or shy away from anything suggesting it is a hybrid ? Do you have a reason, either way ?

I like and enjoy planting the old favorites I remember my father planting when I see them listed, (nostagia and connection would be the reason there) but I also recognize that often hybredization has been able to develop seed that has resistance to some of the viruses that the species is prone to.....so new seeds are often a good thing. So I am open to hybred seeds....but would reach for the pack of Kentucky Wonder Green Beans or Little Marvel peas any time. If I have a crop failure....like cucumbers succuming to some "wilt" I am apt to look for a hybred the next time. (I don't currently have a garden )

Containers on the porch yes, window sill no. I do have a cilantro plant in a pot in a sunny room.

I won't mention any names, but I know someone who does...

I love birds and was the foster father for an Amazon Parrot for a couple of years....I don't know that I "kept" him or if he took advantage of me.....smart, stubborn and ornery bird he was! He loved to shred the bark off tree limbs.....and he really loved it if I sprayed him with water from a spray bottle.....I would set up the ironing board near him so he could beg and then go gaga when I would spritz him as well as the clothes. He would hang upside down from the cage door wings extended--daring me to or not to spray him.

I "kept" a cockatiel at a work based group home.....he was wonderful! We had three shifts of staff and he associated different staff with different repetoire of sounds......when one came on duty he would whistle..."Hail to the Chief" or wolf whistle to announce that another fav had arrived.

When I was a kid I rescued several budgies that had somehow or another gotten loose and were flying about in the trees but were finger trained enough to eventually come down for me.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:15 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,753,494 times

Good Sunday Morning......

The quote for today is:
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. ~ Sir Winston Churchill......
Boy have I known a few with this in their DNA....

No, not yet!!

Do you look for hybrid types of plants and seeds for the garden or shy away from anything suggesting it is a hybrid ?
No, no hybrids here....
Do you have a reason, either way ? NO

Yes, love to grow my own herbs!

Yes, parakeets and Canaries.... of course my favorite has always been the male Canary!!
Love to hear them singing early in the morning and through out the day!!!

If yes, what kinds of things did you provide for them as treats or toys ?
With my Canaries I just had a tree branch in the cage and their favorite seed treats...
When I had parakeets I had mirrors, bells, and etc. to play with.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:40 AM

821 posts, read 2,018,486 times
Easter Candy-not bought any or ate any yet
Hybrid plants-the co-op gave alot of seeds to our church to take to Haiti on a mission trip, but the Haitian's didn't want them because they were Hybrid seeds, they said you can't get seeds from them to grow the next year (which I didn't know that). I just buy what ever name looks good at the time I'm shopping.
Kitchen window garden-yes, I have had, but usually in the summer time, I have my kitchen windown full of violets.
Birds-someone gave my husband these 2 birds and this very nice stand up cage, I bought all kinds of feed for them and treats. the birds were messy, we had to sweep 2 times a day under them, had to put the cage in the middle of the room to keep the cat from trying to get on furniture and jumping on the cage and to keep the birds from throwing seeds or hulls from seeds onto the furniture. I would carry the cage (it was so heavy) outside and use the waterhose to clean the bottom of it. it was to much of a job and finally my husband gave to the birds and cage to someone else with all the feed that I had bought for them.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:42 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,414,535 times
Have you already consumed a confection intended for the Easter celebration?
Yes, the first thing I bought was milk chocolate eggs stuffed with milk cream. Very yummie and they were gone quite fast

Do you look for hybrid types of plants and seeds for the garden or shy away from anything suggesting it is a hybrid ? Do you have a reason, either way ? I wasn't looking for them specificially but wouldn't mind buying them.

Do you or have or have you ever had a spice or kitchen garden that grows on the inside of a window in your home ? I buy herbs in pots from time to time but up to now I wasn't lucky and they died pretty soon. Will put some in my pots on the balcony soon.

Have you ever kept pet birds ? No, I'm afraid of birds, so I would never have one as pet.

Enjoy your Sunday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics