Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 08:51 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,640,896 times

Advertisements

Have you already consumed a confection intended for the Easter celebration? That would include Reese's Peanut Butter eggs and chocolate bars in the shape of rabbits.
Guilty

Do you look for hybrid types of plants and seeds for the garden or shy away from anything suggesting it is a hybrid ? Do you have a reason, either way ?
while the hybrids offer a great many things and look very attractive, there is the oddity that you cannot plant the seeds from them because they are naturally infertile. As I see hybrids cover more pages in national seed catalogs, I am worried that eventually, the heirlooms and standards will soon be a thing of the past and then those who sell the seeds for the hybrids will control how much to charge for something we truly won't be able to get for ourselves. I always buy mostly heirlooms and standards. One or two hybrids per year but mostly the standards. Hopefully, more people will take heed.

Do you or have or have you ever had a spice or kitchen garden that grows on the inside of a window in your home ?
No

Have you ever kept pet birds ?
I have kept birds most of my life, and feed the wild ones, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 10:45 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,741,575 times
I wait until after Easter to buy Easter candy. I'm cheap that way.

A lot of my seeds for planting come from the foods I eat. Cut up the tomato and save the seeds, cut up the green pepper and save the seeds, cut up the cantalope and save the seeds, etc. Hybirds are only hybird for one planting, aren't they. I really prefer the original way the vegetable is in its natural state. Yes, you can't beat those Kentucky wonder beans. I have some Kentucky wonder beans saved from my mother's garden and she died in the late 1990's.

The only thing that grows inside my kitchen window is dust. My kitchen window is on the South side, so I think about anything I would try to grow there would bake instead of grow.

I have lots of pet birds out in the back yard and they wake me up at 5 A. M. One is really a loud mouth. That bird would wake the dead. We don't keep any pets in the house. I have a very sensitive nose that likes to make me sick when there are pollutants in the house. If my nose starts stopping up, we put out the mouse traps. We usually catch one too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics