Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2009, 12:00 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,427 posts, read 30,623,267 times

Advertisements

Computers!

I love the awesome "power" of computers to help us deal with a great deal of information effectively. When I worked in accounting, I liked that we could run reports to cull information with specific criteria from a huge amount of data. I also enjoyed using, modifying and creating spreadsheets. (Yes, am nerdy enough to have enjoyed the task.)

I love that we can find the needle in the haystack with computers. For instance, one of my hobbies is genealogy. There is so much about my ancestors I never would have discovered if it hadn't been for people entering information into computers and allowing the public to search it.

Even though sometimes good old fashioned leg work is best; I recently found my great grandparents marriage via microfilm when the records were supposedly online. That was not the computers "fault." The information we put in is only as good as we are careful.

I also love that we can communicate via email and on message boards like this. We wind up sharing so much with so many, and that's great! One day I noticed that I communicated with people in, not only North America, but Europe and Australia, too. That's that I knew of.

It is to the point that folks born these days may take this awesome connectivity for granted. We are in the unique position of realizing how special this growth in human communication is and how unbelievable it would have seemed to our predecessors.

Computers! They're an awesome invention!

What about computers makes you happy?

Or what in the whole wide world, computers or not, makes you happy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 01:08 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,410,659 times
I work with computers day and night, I enjoy the web to make time pass but my happy thing is to get away from all of it and go camping ina secluded area with no electricity, no computers or anything else, just a little tent trailer, a creek with fish and a camp fire.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:33 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,619,341 times
Computers keep my old brain working very well...You know..Use it or lose it
It is like the biggest library right at my disposal 24/7

Old 03-22-2009, 06:48 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,369,193 times
My happy today was that I had the opportunity to play in my kitchen.

I am an incredibly fortunate person to be married to an astoundingly gifted, creative cook, and six nights out of the week, I let him have fun creating all the amazing and wonderful dishes he comes up with. I wash dishes those nights, because in a partnership where both partners work full time, it makes sense that if one cooks, the other should clean up.

But Sundays are my day to play in the kitchen, and I enjoy the opportunity every time. The meals I produce aren't nearly as inventive and creative as my spouse's are, and I know it takes an effort of will for him to sit there watching me without saying "no, NO, that's NOT how you're supposed to do it!" But he resists the temptation, and he's gracious about telling me that he enjoys the results, and he washes the dishes afterward.

So my happy today was that I got to cook supper, and it was tasty, and we both enjoyed it, and now I'm playing on the computer while he washes up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics