Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 06:02 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,152,634 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone
Happy Tuesday

The chill has returned to NEFL we have a hard freeze coming the next couple mornings(22 to25) so I will be dragging out the sheets to wrap up the "sensitive" plants & fruit trees. So for the next few days my yard will look like it is full of standing body bags
But before I head off on that project lets get started on

Today's Question(s):

Do you have a item(s) that you will only use the National Brand not the Store Brand?

Are there items where you prefer the Store brand over the National brand ?

Bonus Questions:

Would you stand in line to get the free Grand Slam Breakfast that Denny's is offering today?

Extra Credit Question:

What have you waited in line for ?
(tickets, new store opening, free offers etc)

How early did you show up to get in line ?

While waiting in line did you chat with the other folks in line ?

Today in History:
1690 - 1st paper money in America issued (colony of Mass)
1815 - World's 1st commercial cheese factory established, in Switzerland
1966 - 1st operational weather satellite, ESSA-1 launched U.S.
1979 - "YMCA" by Village People peaks at #2 on pop singles chart

Word of the Day:
defalcate \di-FAL-keyt\, verb:
to steal or misuse money or property entrusted to one's care

Today is:
National Carrot Cake Day
Halfway Point of Winter
Wear Red Day
Free grand Slam Breakfast at Dennys(Feb 3 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. )*

*Check the website to make sure your Denny's isn't one of the 2 not joining in the offer

Last edited by 2goldens; 02-03-2009 at 07:44 AM.. Reason: corrected per Karla :)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 06:14 AM

2,947 posts, read 1,677,132 times
Good Morning Everyone

Today's Question(s):

Do you have a item(s) that you will only use the National Brand not the Store Brand?
Several

Are there items where you prefer the Store brand over the National brand ? a few

Bonus Questions:

Would you stand in to get the free Grand Slam Breakfast that Denny's is offering today? no

Extra Credit Question:

(tickets, new store opening, free offers etc) Car Registration, license renewel, and to vote.

How early did you show up to get in line ? Don't do early for lines, I'll get there when I get there mindset.

While waiting in line did you chat with the other folks in line ? 95% of the time. There are some that DO NOT want to chit chat.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:21 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,686,491 times
Good morning everyone
Happy Tuesday

The chill has returned to NEFL we have a hard freeze coming the next couple mornings(22 to25) so I will be dragging out the sheets to wrap up the "sensitive" plants & fruit trees. So for the next few days my yard will look like it is full of standing body bags
-3 F WC -17 F here in the beautiful Fox River Valley.

Today's Question(s):

Gordon Food Service has the worlds best pretzel rods. I buy them 10 3 lb containers at a time.

Bonus Questions:

Would you stand in to get the free Grand Slam Breakfast that Denny's is offering today?
I hate waiting. I will go to a restaurant and eat bad food rather than wait in line at a better place.

Extra Credit Question:

Nothing

Today in History:
1959 - The [day the music died.

Word of the Day:

Today is:

National Carrot Cake Day
Halfway Point of Winter
Wear Red Day

*Check the website to make sure your Denny's isn't one of the 2 not joining in the offer[/quote]

Old 02-03-2009, 06:23 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,347,098 times
Thanks for posting early, Karla!

Today's Question(s):

If we buy bottled spaghetti sauce instead of making it ourselves, we always buy Prego. There are certain varieties of canned beans (Ranch Style beans, for example) that we choose as much for the seasoning mix as anything else. I have a preferred brand and variety of salad dressing, and we go with the spouse's doctor's recommendation for which kind of margarine to buy. We generally buy the name brand facial tissue and TP, because in my experience the store brands feel like sandpaper and fall apart.

We haven't always been so picky, though. There were a lot of years back when we were younger and not making much money when we bought the very cheapest variety of everything, no matter what it did or did not taste like. We can go back to that if we have to, of course - and the way things are going of late, we may be doing just that if we ever want to retire.

Frozen vegetables. We don't buy them often, but when we do, we get the store brand.

Bonus Questions:

Would you stand in line to get the free Grand Slam Breakfast that Denny's is offering today?

(I inserted the word that I think you left out.)
No, I wouldn't. I love eating breakfast out, but not at Denny's. If we go out for breakfast, we go to our favorite little local diner and sit at the counter for corned beef hash and a couple of eggs over easy with a biscuit and a bottomless cuppa coffee.

Extra Credit Question:

I have done that a few times. The last time I recall was when I attended the Barack Obama rally in Madison last February; I stood in the freezing cold with about 20,000 other folks for several hours waiting to get into the Kohl Center.

Last February, I got there about 3 hours before it started, and I still wound up in the nosebleed section back behind the stage. It was worth it, though, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Oh, yes - that was the best part. I live in a college town, and there were many, many young people in the line, but also all other ages as well. It was really interesting to hear what each of them hoped to hear in his talk.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:32 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,557,479 times
Happy Tuesday!!!

Today's Question(s):

Do you have a item(s) that you will only use the National Brand not the Store Brand? Yeah but just a few Downy's one

Are there items where you prefer the Store brand over the National brand ? Not really prefer but don't see a difference so I'll buy the store brand.

Bonus Questions:

Would you stand in to get the free Grand Slam Breakfast that Denny's is offering today? No, I thought about it but decided not to.

Extra Credit Question:

What have you waited in line for ? Alabama concert. I was 17 years old.

How early did you show up to get in line ? 3am....my dad thought he was sneaky but I saw him watching from a distance in the car.
While waiting in line did you chat with the other folks in line ? If they start talking 1st. I'm painfully shy.

Today is:
National Carrot Cake Day-Yummy!

Old 02-03-2009, 06:34 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,619,269 times
Coca Cola

There is no substitute for Coca Cola.

Would you stand in to get the free Grand Slam Breakfast that Denny's is offering today?
Gee, didn't know about that, but then, there are no Denny's restaurants anywhere near me. Those are great breakfasts!

At the checkout of an on base commissary on pay days. From that, I have been trained to stand patiently and silently in a long line for eternity and bring something to occupy my mind such as a book or magazine. Registering for classes at college would be number 1

I've tried to, but others don't seem so open to talking with a stranger.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:37 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,590,056 times
Today's Question(s):
Do you have a item(s) that you will only use the National Brand not the Store Brand? Frozen veggies and most canned veggies. I read labels. Some store brands have more water and other ingredients that some Brand names do not. I go by the list of ingredients in their order. Did that make sense?
Are there items where you prefer the Store brand over the National brand ? Not yet.
[u]Bonus Questions:
Would you stand in to get the free Grand Slam Breakfast that Denny's is offering today? No. No Denny's anywhere near me anyway.
Extra Credit Question:
What have you waited in line for ?(tickets, new store opening, free offers etc)
Tickets for Plays and sporting events only.
How early did you show up to get in line ? Not to early. My DH hates to stand in line for anything. Must be an Army thing with him...
While waiting in line did you chat with the other folks in line ? I have.
[b]Today in History: [/B
1815 - World's 1st commercial cheese factory established, in Switzerland ... I think that I have some of that in my other refrigerator. Well, it is as hard as a rock. Oh, I did throw it out last night.
Word of the Day:

Today is:

National Carrot Cake Day.... with hot black Cherry Tea...hmmmm, good.
Halfway Point of Winter....Yea, thank you karla for this reminder....
Wear Red ....will maroon be ok? that is the colour of my sweatpants.

Good Morning karla and everyone else. It is 9 degrees here and feels like -2

Old 02-03-2009, 06:43 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,686,226 times
Do you have a item(s) that you will only use the National Brand not the Store Brand? yes somethings.

Are there items where you prefer the Store brand over the National brand ? Same here

Bonus Questions:

Would you stand in to get the free Grand Slam Breakfast that Denny's is offering today? not today......maybe tomorrow.

While waiting in line did you chat with the other folks in line ? Yes. I remember waiting to get into the vatican museum for a long time. We had a party. People were coming by selling goods really cheap, everyone was talking and laughing. It was fun.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:46 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,875,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
Good morning everyone
Happy Tuesday

Today's Question(s):

Do you have a item(s) that you will only use the National Brand not the Store Brand? Yes most everything.

Are there items where you prefer the Store brand over the National brand ? None

Bonus Questions:

Absolutely not!

Extra Credit Question:

yes-many years ago Tony Bennett was at our mall selling and signing paintings and prints. I stood on line for hours with a friend-chatting it up with others. When it came my turn to have 2 prints autographed-his handler said time was up and he had to leave. I said Absolutely not- over my dead body! He laughed-I got 2 prints autographed.

How early did you show up to get in line ? 3 hours

While waiting in line did you chat with the other folks in line ? Always

Today in History:

Word of the Day:

Today is:
National Carrot Cake Day
Halfway Point of Winter
Wear Red Day

*Check the website to make sure your Denny's isn't one of the 2 not joining in the offer
Halfway point of winter-ugh.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:13 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,791,339 times
I"m speechless today.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics