Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 08:42 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times

Advertisements

National Brand Preference?
Many, many things

Store brand preference? there may be one or two, but I can't think of any right offhand.

Wait in line?
Maybe a short line for a movie. Not much for waiting in line. Probably most times I have it was because I was forced to such as ....license renewal, voting etc. I will chat with others in line if they seem to want to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 09:22 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
National Brand Preference--------Jiff's peanut butter (I've tried store brands, but they don't come close and aren't much cheaper )

Wait in line at Denny's--------no ( and for 2 reasons)

#1---there aren't any Denny's near me ( not even in a 66,000 pop city 35 miles away that has nearly every chain restaurant imagineable )
#2---yup the economy is tough, but I never stood in line just to get a free meal.
(I wasn't alive when souplines were a necessity during the last depression)

Old 02-03-2009, 09:29 AM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Today's Question(s):
Do you have a item(s) that you will only use the National Brand not the Store Brand? Rarely, on very few occasions do I find store brands equal to name brands. Usually the majority of store brands are inferior to National Brands.
Are there items where you prefer the Store brand over the National brand ? The only exceptions are over the counter medicines that are identical to name brands. Pharmacists have shown me how to compare and the value saved on many store brand OTC drugs.

Bonus Questions:
Would you stand in line to get the free Grand Slam Breakfast that Denny's is offering today? No way, my time is more valuable and productive than standing in line for anything.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:32 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,858 times
Do you have a item(s) that you will only use the National Brand not the Store Brand? [/b]

I mostly use store brands

not usually

Are there items where you prefer the Store brand over the National brand ?

no not any

Bonus Questions:

Would you stand in line to get the free Grand Slam Breakfast that Denny's is offering today? NO

Extra Credit Question:

What have you waited in line for ?

in a lunch buffet line; book signing; at meetings; to get inside a concert, waiting as everyone goes thru a metal detector; I hate standing in line for anything and try to avoid doing so.
(tickets, new store opening, free offers etc)

How early did you show up to get in line ?

from just deciding to go eat at a buffet to maybe half an hour before start of something....

While waiting in line did you chat with the other folks in line ?

but of course, how else can one find out about their neighbor and fellow citizen?

Today in History:
1690 - 1st paper money in America issued (colony of Mass)
1815 - World's 1st commercial cheese factory established, in Switzerland a great thing too! I love cheese
1966 - 1st operational weather satellite, ESSA-1 launched U.S. this is music to a weather junkies ears.
1979 - "YMCA" by Village People peaks at #2 on pop singles chart oh heck, now that dratted song will be in my head all day!

Word of the Day:
defalcate \di-FAL-keyt\, verb:
to steal or misuse money or property entrusted to one's care

I do NOT defalcate the monies I have entrusted to me each month by my employer.

Today is:
National Carrot Cake Day I love carrot cake
Halfway Point of Winter am glad i live in the South
Wear Red Day darn, wish I had seen this before I got dressed

Old 02-03-2009, 09:37 AM

12,981 posts, read 14,535,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
Today's Question(s):

Do you have a item(s) that you will only use the National Brand not the Store Brand?
toilet paper, kleenex (oops, facial tissues I mean)

Are there items where you prefer the Store brand over the National brand ? Kroger has the best pork gravy in a jar-better than Heinz, also Kroger canned tomatoes no salt added, and tomato sauce no salt added-I don't see any brand names for no salt--not at Kroger anyway.

Bonus Questions:

Would you stand in line to get the free Grand Slam Breakfast that Denny's is offering today? No.

Extra Credit Question:

(tickets, new store opening, free offers etc) For ham at Honeybaked, for concerts-looong time ago, but mainly for bathrooms.

How early did you show up to get in line ? Depends.

Word of the Day:
to steal or misuse money or property entrusted to one's care.

I am surprised we haven't been hearing THAT word a LOT lately-like shouldn't there be a picture of Bernie Madoff next to it?

Today is:
National Carrot Cake Day YAY!!Halfway Point of Winter BOO
Wear Red Day OK

Old 02-03-2009, 10:29 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,292,275 times
Do you have a item(s) that you will only use the National Brand not the Store Brand? Yep only Ben and Jerrys or Haagen Daz will do for ice cream

Are there items where you prefer the Store brand over the National brand ? I can't think of any

Bonus Questions:

Would you stand in line to get the free Grand Slam Breakfast that Denny's is offering today? Nope

Extra Credit Question:

What have you waited in line for ? I won't wait in line for any of those.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:38 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times
Today's Question(s):

Do you have a item(s) that you will only use the National Brand not the Store Brand?

Yes

Are there items where you prefer the Store brand over the National brand ?

Yes

Bonus Questions:

Would you stand in line to get the free Grand Slam Breakfast that Denny's is offering today?

No, can't stand Denny's food.

Extra Credit Question:

The list is too long as it seems you have to stand in line everytime you venture out of your home.

No, not unless someone else initiates the conversation and I don't recall that happening.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:06 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,744,493 times
Do you have a item(s) that you will only use the National Brand not the Store Brand? I will only use DelMonte canned fruit as when you buy the store brand you get really terrible scraps of fruit

Are there items where you prefer the Store brand over the National brand ? munchies ...better cheaper and more for your money

Bonus Questions:

Would you stand in line to get the free Grand Slam Breakfast that Denny's is offering today? not in a million years

Extra Credit Question:

What have you waited in line for ? In Vegas waiting in line for the shuttlebus

How early did you show up to get in line ? about 20-30 minutes because we weren't sure when it came.

While waiting in line did you chat with the other folks in line ? I chat with everyone...it just kind of pops out of me but yes I chatted with a nice couple from Detroit. Mr Crazy just looks at me all the time and shakes his head.

Today in History:
1690 - 1st paper money in America issued (colony of Mass) see they KNEW what the cost of living would be here in MA even back then
1815 - World's 1st commercial cheese factory established, in Switzerland yes but the machines had holes in it...
1966 - 1st operational weather satellite, ESSA-1 launched U.S. and they are still trying to get the weather straight
1979 - "YMCA" by Village People peaks at #2 on pop singles chart It's always fun to stay at the YMCA...they have everything

Word of the Day:
to steal or misuse money or property entrusted to one's care I wonder if the guy who just lost everyone's billions knew this word.

Today is:
National Carrot Cake Day hopefully with cream cheese frosting
Halfway Point of Winter thank God!!!

Old 02-03-2009, 11:10 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,451,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post

Low 30's here right now on Cape Cod, wind blowing w/ 35mph gusts.... snowing, with 4-7" predicted and power outages due to heavy snow on wires... UGH....

Today's Question(s):

Do you have a item(s) that you will only use the National Brand not the Store Brand? Yes, Scott's TP, Viva PT, Arm and Hammer Laundry Soap, Palmolive, Colgate, to name a few...

Are there items where you prefer the Store brand over the National brand ? Not many, no... CVS sugarfree black cherry cough drops lol

Bonus Questions:

Would you stand in line to get the free Grand Slam Breakfast that Denny's is offering today? No... we don't have a Denny's on Cape Cod, and I'm not a breakfast person... I'm a gimme cawfee person!

Extra Credit Question:

(tickets, new store opening, free offers etc) renewing my license, pay for groceries, mail a package at the PO

How early did you show up to get in line ? On time is when I get there! lol

While waiting in line did you chat with the other folks in line ? Yes, absolutely! I'm a yankee and I talk to everybody and anybody!

Today in History:
1690 - 1st paper money in America issued (colony of Mass) Rah!
1815 - World's 1st commercial cheese factory established, in Switzerland I knew I liked the Swiss!
1966 - 1st operational weather satellite, ESSA-1 launched U.S.
1979 - "YMCA" by Village People peaks at #2 on pop singles chart

Word of the Day:
to steal or misuse money or property entrusted to one's care Hmmphh!

Today is:
National Carrot Cake Day ...YUM! Maybe I'll bake one today!
Halfway Point of Winter ....thank-you Jesus!
Wear Red Day
Free grand Slam Breakfast at Dennys(Feb 3 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. )*

*Check the website to make sure your Denny's isn't one of the 2 not joining in the offer
I've never seen GarlicGuy speechless!!!

Old 02-03-2009, 11:13 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
Hi Everone! This one's gonna be short!

I don't think we EVER buy the no-name brand...

I haven't been to a Denny's for years; why start now!

We don't wait in lines, generally. Even wait for movies to come out on video...

Heck, I'll chat with anyone, anytime, anywhere!

I'm sorry, folks but the Word of the Day sounds TOO similar to the word one might use to describe the action the person stealing from you took ON you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics