Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 12:38 PM

973 posts, read 3,305,421 times

Advertisements

We all have our own ideas of what contitutes good or bad Customer Service.
When I get truly outstanding customer service, I compliment the person or praise them to their supervisor. I also don't hestitate to report very poor customer service. Some folks just don't seem to realize that they have poor CS skills and how it affects their customers.

What do you consider to be GOOD Customer Service?

Will good or bad service dictate whether you continue to patronize that place of business or do you let $$$$ decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 01:19 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,267,642 times
you bet i keep going to the place w/good customer service. It means a lot to me, since I was a CSR for years throughout my varied career.

To me, it means honesty, promptness, professionalism, friendliness, and a willingness to listen. Now, that doesn't always mean you'll get what you're asking for, but, if your request is reasonable, at least a compromise. I've been known to fire off a letter or two.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:44 PM

560 posts, read 849,557 times
Oh my - hot button for me! I've managed a small (14 employees) customer service center for the last nine years, and have been involved in some manner or other with CS since I started working WAY long ago!

I return to good customer service, but will also base it on value. If I receive bad service, I usually try to make sure it's known in some manner - either by management through comment cards, surveys, etc. or by the wait staff thru tipping. Exceptional service I really like to make known by speaking with management in some way because unfortunately it's usually the bad service that gets commented on.

nomoresnow pretty much said what it means to me also - and all that done with realism and from the heart. A good customer service person truly loves what they do, and it's obvious!

Old 10-09-2008, 04:22 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,916 times
Good customer service is to be recognized and treated like they are interested in me, even if they are not.

I will return to a place that has not given me good service because I would probably have very few places to go if I didn't.

It amazes me that corporations and local companies will spend so much advertising dollars to get me in their door only to be underwhelmed when I get there. It's probably the fault of the attitude of the management, more than not. Or just a generational thingy.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:50 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,638,098 times
[quote=gizmobizmo;5619804]We all have our own ideas of what contitutes good or bad Customer Service.
When I get truly outstanding customer service, I compliment the person or praise them to their supervisor. I also don't hestitate to report very poor customer service. Some folks just don't seem to realize that they have poor CS skills and how it affects their customers.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I'm always praising excellent service and not afraid to complain about poor service.
Good CS is paying attention to your needs, good attitude, taking care of a problem (if there is one) and treating you like an equal person.

After I retired I was hired by several companies to do what you'd call a "mystery shopper". One company was a huge corporation that I did internal customer service investigations. I was always on the lookout to see that employees were following the training they learned about outstanding CS. Reports were made back to the parent office and any necessary training or whatever was needed would be addressed then. Ocassionally a bad seed would be weeded out. The employees that were outstanding would get a bonus. That was the big incentive for them to perform good CS.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:57 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,795,884 times
a man of mystery......

Old 10-09-2008, 08:11 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,871,660 times
Good customer service to me means fast, prompt, reliable, and friendly service.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:31 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,999,223 times
I guess it depends on where I'm receiving the service! At a grocery store, I would just like friendly, efficient service. In a clothing store, I want someone to ask if I need another style, or size, and then go and get it for me!
At an repair shop, I want honesty and a smile!

I mean, when someone is spending money in your establishment, they deserve to be appreciated, don't they?

Old 10-09-2008, 09:34 PM

5 posts, read 26,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDreams View Post
Oh my - hot button for me! I've managed a small (14 employees) customer service center for the last nine years, and have been involved in some manner or other with CS since I started working WAY long ago!

I return to good customer service, but will also base it on value. If I receive bad service, I usually try to make sure it's known in some manner - either by management through comment cards, surveys, etc. or by the wait staff thru tipping. Exceptional service I really like to make known by speaking with management in some way because unfortunately it's usually the bad service that gets commented on.

nomoresnow pretty much said what it means to me also - and all that done with realism and from the heart. A good customer service person truly loves what they do, and it's obvious!

I am agreed to the above mentioned thought.Your post is very approachable. If you are so strong believer in success in life then like to share one thing with you. There is an e-book SUCCCESS.ORG which depicts the description of the success in life. I hope you will like to go through it.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:48 AM

973 posts, read 3,305,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
Good customer service is to be recognized and treated like they are interested in me, even if they are not.

I will return to a place that has not given me good service because I would probably have very few places to go if I didn't.

It amazes me that corporations and local companies will spend so much advertising dollars to get me in their door only to be underwhelmed when I get there. It's probably the fault of the attitude of the management, more than not. Or just a generational thingy.
You are so right.
I was recently spoke with a manager at a company that has a terrible rep for customer service.
I mentioned the woman at their CS desk who I had spoken with when I came in and told them she was a shining example of poor CS skills. No smile, poor attitude, gave the impression I was taking up her valuable time, and walked away from me when I tried to ask a question. WTF???

I followed this appraisal with a run down of the article I read regarding their poor public image in the press.
I told him it all started in the interview process and they needed to tighten up the standards when hiring and not attempt to plug the holes in a leaking ship after the fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics