Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 09:54 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,202,862 times

Advertisements

The reason why I ask this question is because I am generally a quiet guy. So I have a tendency to pay attention more so than others who are yapping.

If some walks up to me and starts sharing a story of some sort with me I try my hardest not to interject "me" into the conversation. I cannot stand when someone does that. Sometimes we need to shut up and humble ourselves and let other people have their "15 minutes of fame". You just might learn something if you stop focusing on "me" when it's not about "you".

We don't always have to talk about ourselves or try to "one up" the person you're talking to. After all, they are talking about them, so let them.

Do you talk about yourself or do you listen ? Be honest!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 11:03 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,665,326 times
I do both. Here is a good segway, "Well enough about me, what do you think of me?"

Old 09-07-2008, 11:24 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,371,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
The reason why I ask this question is because I am generally a quiet guy. So I have a tendency to pay attention more so than others who are yapping.

If some walks up to me and starts sharing a story of some sort with me I try my hardest not to interject "me" into the conversation. I cannot stand when someone does that. Sometimes we need to shut up and humble ourselves and let other people have their "15 minutes of fame". You just might learn something if you stop focusing on "me" when it's not about "you".

We don't always have to talk about ourselves or try to "one up" the person you're talking to. After all, they are talking about them, so let them.

Do you talk about yourself or do you listen ? Be honest!!!
I listen to others but if I have a related story even if it includes me I may share it, most of the time if I'm talking about me it's probably about me doing something stupid.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:05 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,390,931 times
In the real world, I usually only talk about myself when interacting with my immediate family. My childhood was vastly different from my daughter's, so she likes to hear the stories, plus it gives her a glimpse into why I do some things or hold certain opinions. I like to think that, as a family, we have a nice balance of talking and listening.

It seems the format of many internet forums encourages people to talk about themselves. That's how we get to know one another. To some extent, the same holds true in real life, although actions can speak louder than words. By and large, I prefer to let my actions speak for me so I tend to be quiet. Since I live in a very small, isolated town, the only way to maintain some semblance of privacy is to keep quiet about myself. At some point, too much familiarity really can breed contempt.

I take great pleasure in listening to others as long as they're not totally self-centered. It's an honor to give them "15 minutes of fame," and I'm privileged they value my company enough to share themselves with me.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:18 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,759,025 times
Both. I've learned the best thing to do when you meet new people is to ask questions related to their conversation. Let's them know you're listening.

Of course, they need to listen to your stories, too, else the conversation will eventually wander into quiet.

My wife says I've never met a stranger. Sometimes it's a good thing, other times it's not.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:26 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,539,368 times
In rl (outside home and family) I am more of a listener..I always have been..I enjoy people and enjoy hearing them talk about their families, their hopes and dreams and sometimes I just listen because they may need a sympathetic shoulder to lean on for support...

If the person is a gossiper, troublemaker, or wants to change my beliefs, I just pretend to be scratching my ears as I remove both hearing aids and continue to smile now and then as I watch their mouth move

Old 09-07-2008, 03:26 PM

641 posts, read 2,372,533 times
I don't talk much in real life. And I also don't care for people who can't stop yapping. Just shutup already, nobody cares about what your cat did yesterday or what your MySpace looks like.

I'm a man of few words, and I like it that way.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:48 PM

536 posts, read 1,110,274 times
i'm a listener

Old 09-07-2008, 08:19 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,356,674 times
You asked for honesty, and this is how I learned to shut up and listen to people rather than go on about myself.

This is a conversation I had years ago with the new wife of my brother in law:

Me: "so when do you want to have kids"
Her: "maybe now"
Me: "Well, we (me and my husband) are thinking of waiting until later, we just can't afford a baby right now, we still have to move two more times before my husband finishes school, blah, blah, blah....."

Later, I found out my sister in law was pregnant.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Suddenly I remembered our conversation and the "maybe now" comment echoed in my head. If I wasn't so busy blabbering on about my own plans, I might have understood what she was getting at. Even if there was a language barrier. (which is what I had originally chalked up her short answer to, I thought they were "trying" right now, not "having a baby" right now.) I missed an opportunity to gain her confidence and apparently she wasn't that keen on sharing her news if I just wasn't getting the message. Well, she probably couldn't get a word in edgewise, thinking back.

Ever since then, I have been much more conscientious of interrupting people with stories about "me", no matter how relevant to the conversation they are. I just wait till the other person is done, and say, since you mentioned XXX, the same thing happened to me or whatever.

I will admit, I do talk about myself though, because as far as I am concerned, if you don't ever talk about yourself then people never really know you, so if you want to develop real relationships, you kind of have to talk about yourself so people will know what you are really all about and not what they assume you are all about.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:34 PM

1,149 posts, read 2,517,210 times
Well...
I talk a lot to my-self...but rarely do I listen.
Okie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics