Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 08:38 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,714,346 times

Advertisements

I have a conflict. As a pastor listening is one of the things people expect of me. I feel I do a decent job of listening when people need someone to talk to. I'm also a performer talking is necessary and I'm pretty good at that too. It depends on the situation. Three guys sitting around kicking and scratching I'm as likely to be talking as anyone. If you're having problems, I'm all ears
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 09:00 PM

44,752 posts, read 62,104,060 times
When I'm with others, I listen to their tales of woe, then I tell them that I can relate to that, then we compare stories. Many times we get a big laugh out of our conversation.
Many times I just talk to myself, comparing notes with the left side and right side of the brain. Ocassionally we come to an agreement and the problem is solved.
Some people have interesting things to say, and I listen to them, then go tell my wife what an interesting conversation I had. She goes aahhh that's nice.
Now I know some husbands who listen all the time to their wives, saying only "yes dear" then go back to watching TV, having a beer or reading the paper. Then some just let everything go in one ear then out the other.
Hmmm, I forgot what was the question again...

Old 09-07-2008, 09:43 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,349,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
I have a conflict. As a pastor listening is one of the things people expect of me. I feel I do a decent job of listening when people need someone to talk to. I'm also a performer talking is necessary and I'm pretty good at that too. It depends on the situation. Three guys sitting around kicking and scratching I'm as likely to be talking as anyone. If you're having problems, I'm all ears
I think this is a good balance for us all. It's nice to have a listening ear, but at the same time, if someone talks TOO little, I start getting uncomfortable. So I like a balance~~ someone that will hear me out and seems interested in what I'm saying. But at the same time, will also talk and share at least a little about themselves.

I hope that's the way I come across when talking to people.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:43 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,537 posts, read 6,364,316 times
I dont mind listening to others tales of woe but I just cant bring myself to share my own. Makes me feel weak and whiney. So I guess Id say I listen.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:41 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,655,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
The reason why I ask this question is because I am generally a quiet guy. So I have a tendency to pay attention more so than others who are yapping.

If some walks up to me and starts sharing a story of some sort with me I try my hardest not to interject "me" into the conversation. I cannot stand when someone does that. Sometimes we need to shut up and humble ourselves and let other people have their "15 minutes of fame". You just might learn something if you stop focusing on "me" when it's not about "you".

We don't always have to talk about ourselves or try to "one up" the person you're talking to. After all, they are talking about them, so let them.

Do you talk about yourself or do you listen ? Be honest!!!
I usually listen. If someone goes on and on for a really long time about something boring I start to get nauseated, seriously. I really don't have anything interesting to say about myself I guess - and when I do, I'm usally talking to myself or a big brick wall.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:35 PM

31,304 posts, read 33,027,431 times
I like to listen,,,, I learn more! I don’t like interruptions if I’m talking – that’s not nice, and I don’t like people who hold a one way conversation with them talking only.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:09 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,563,130 times
I always listen to what someone has to say and when I speak I hope they return the respect by listening to what I say but it doesn’t always work that way, the me me me ones and the know it all stuffed shirts I just tune out after a bit.

I’m usually on the end of my problem is this and that what can I do, so it’s short and sweet I listen then give my fix.

Not meaning to go off topic but have you ever had those conversations to were it’s like hello am I speaking a different language here or something.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:09 AM

2,947 posts, read 1,680,789 times
I listen, to get the gist of the conversaton. If I feel like I have a contribution I'll add comment (s).
But there are times when it's better to keep my mouth shut. Other times I talk to much. Aww heck it's a mood thing I have....

Old 09-10-2008, 04:26 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,636,165 times
Mostly listen. You learn so much more that way. People love to talk about themselves and/or their family, work, etc. Listening does help you to understand them a little bit better. Your own occupation can be the reason you may be a talker or a listener or a combination. Realtors have to listen.!!! Or should...

Old 09-10-2008, 01:59 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,604,732 times
As I've gotten older I've learned to listen more.....as a PK (preacher's kid) I was expected to be quiet and listen. I think I made up for it later cuz while I thought I never talked much, I overhead my SIL telling someone that I talked too much.
While at 1st I was upset, I was glad I overhead her and learned to listen again.

As I too don't like to be interupted while speaking, I find myself making an effort not to interupt others.....not easy sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics