Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 03:46 AM

14 posts, read 92,296 times

Advertisements

Don't answer them!!! Look below at this from Yahoo Answers:

This is a new tele-scam. Check your phone bill. You may see a charge of $10 or more for this call. These automated calls dial random (or maybe not random) numbers and bill the homes that answer (even if it was the answering machine) from $10 up to $50 (maybe more) per minute or any part there of. This was on one of the news shows (20/20 or 60 minutes or something) in the past few months. At first the phone companies could not or would not remove the charges because it wasn't billed by them. You do not have to pay that portion of the bill and it will not affect your service. I don't know if there is a way to have the charge dropped, yet.

I saw this on my home phone caller ID yesterday, and I believe I had a call on my cell phone at precisely the same time but that ID came up as 'unknown caller'. I don't answer those...beware of both, and please spread the word even if you already know this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 09:49 AM

2 posts, read 75,298 times
I'm extremely skeptical of a claim that a phone company would have the authority to bill you on the part of a third party simply because you picked up the phone. A yahoo answer with one vote is about as credible as a chain-email rumor. Does anybody have a link to something a little more authoritative?

Old 09-02-2008, 09:59 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,984,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodz View Post
I'm extremely skeptical of a claim that a phone company would have the authority to bill you on the part of a third party simply because you picked up the phone. A yahoo answer with one vote is about as credible as a chain-email rumor. Does anybody have a link to something a little more authoritative?

You could easily google "calls from area code 062" and get tons of hits about this.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:34 AM

27,344 posts, read 27,397,752 times
If I dont reckonize a number, I leave it for voicemail to handle. If they dont wanna leave a message, well, it must not have been important. Period.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:12 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
062-234-5310
That number calls a lot. I did answer it once. Some idiot asked for someone that doesn't live here. Then they asked for someone that does live here. I hung up on them. I have not answered it since. But no $10 charge has been applied to my phone bill either. The machine always picks up any numbers i don't recognize.

Someone else mentioned on this site:
http://800notes.com (broken link)
That the 062 area code isn't really an area code they are calling from, but they do something to the number to make it show up like that so you cannot block them, because it isn't a real number. Go check out the comments on that site i mentioned. It's a site where you can input numbers that call you and never leave a message..plus one's that don't show who is calling you like "unknown" "out of area" etc. I had one a few days ago that showed "don't answer" so I didn't.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:51 AM

18,217 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Thanks Mary for that tip. I've gotten a few calls on that area code and not one message was left. I know one thing, if my phone carrier tried to hit me with a $10 charge on that sort of thing I'd think about dropping them and going with someone else! BTW, thanks Pinkstring on that note! I pulled up that site and there close to 100 of these phone #s.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 09-03-2008 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 09-04-2008, 10:47 AM

2 posts, read 75,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
You could easily google "calls from area code 062" and get tons of hits about this.
Tons of hits, yes. Lots of people are getting these calls, but all of the many references to being billed for simply picking up the phone that I've seen all point to that one yahoo answer with its single vote. I've seen no reference to an actual article and no one with a claim of being billed for answering the phone. If it was possible and the scam was to collect $10 by getting people to answer the phone, wouldn't it be more efficient for them to hang up immediately and call the next number so they could call the greatest number of people?

They want you to stay on the phone, so they can get credit card numbers, etc. I want them to stay on the phone, because wasting their time slows their operation a wee bit and provides me with a little entertainment. "Hang on, let me find my card.... nope, can't find it... Oh, you can use the info on my bill? Hang on, I'll see if I can dig it up..." It's a nice time to catch up on email or make myself a sandwich.

Last edited by jodz; 09-04-2008 at 10:58 AM..

Old 09-04-2008, 06:38 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I believe area code 062 is in Asia. I have heard of this scam also.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 33,804 times
Default I called AT&T - it's Indonesia

They do not charge you if they call you ... but DO NOT CALLTHEM BACK.

If you call them back, then it's around $6 per minute.

DO NOT CALL THEM BACK!

Old 10-08-2008, 05:39 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Heck, I'm hiding out and avoiding most calls from people I know! Fat chance of me answering a call from some unknown number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics