Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 05:27 AM

2,947 posts, read 1,675,083 times

Advertisements

Any idea about the ones that show up name unavailable and then 1-000-000-0000 ? Got home from errends and saw that and was like what the heck??? Someone from Mars or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 04:04 AM

4 posts, read 16,499 times
its not indonesia area code number..probably its skype..

Old 11-07-2008, 04:46 AM

18,116 posts, read 11,749,491 times
How does one put a stop to it?

Old 11-07-2008, 05:40 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
How do they get your number?

Old 11-07-2008, 06:21 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
How do they get your number?
The computer just dials until it gets a live one.
000 000 0000 until it gets to 999 999 9999

BTW If youre crazy enuf to pick up and you hear silence but you can tell someone is on there thats because the computer is routing the call to one of their operators.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,493 times
Smile Area code062

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Rives Brown View Post
Don't answer them!!! Look below at this from Yahoo Answers:

This is a new tele-scam. Check your phone bill. You may see a charge of $10 or more for this call. These automated calls dial random (or maybe not random) numbers and bill the homes that answer (even if it was the answering machine) from $10 up to $50 (maybe more) per minute or any part there of. This was on one of the news shows (20/20 or 60 minutes or something) in the past few months. At first the phone companies could not or would not remove the charges because it wasn't billed by them. You do not have to pay that portion of the bill and it will not affect your service. I don't know if there is a way to have the charge dropped, yet.

I saw this on my home phone caller ID yesterday, and I believe I had a call on my cell phone at precisely the same time but that ID came up as 'unknown caller'. I don't answer those...beware of both, and please spread the word even if you already know this.
I received a call yesterday from that area code and didn't answer, they hung up before the caller ID got it. Thanks

Old 11-25-2008, 09:20 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
I never pick up my phone without looking at the caller ID. I don't answer the unavailable or unknown callers. I do have a few friends that have 'Blocked calls" so I answer those. As another poster said, if they don't leave a message it isn't very important I guess.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:22 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Here is something you need to know about your telephone company:

They are as big a crooks as anybody else. The phone company is in league with the scammers, because they let the sammers call you hiding behind a deceptive of false phone number, but they SELL you (for profit) a feature that you MUST use in order to protect yourself from the scammers that are paying them to use their services, and the phone company even acts as the billing agent for the scammers.

Now here is something you need to know about the Attorney General in your state. They don't care. If the scammer does not cooperate with you and tell you their name, their telephone number, and the address of their place of business, the Attoreny General''s office in your state will just tell you Sorry, there is nothing they can or will do to protect you from people who are committeing these crimes.

They have all figured out that the Do Not Call list is a joke, and it is absolutely unenforceable unless the caller turns themselves in by telling you who they are. THese calls can be traces, tut they will not be and they never will be, because the phone company have less than zero interest in protecting consumers. Thay protect their biggest and most profitable cumstlmers, and guess not---you are not one of them.

Now the real bottom line. If you actually DO identify a scammer, and turn them in, they are protected by the constitution and are presumed guilty until YOU (at your own expense) gather sufficient evidence and hire a better lawyer than theirs, to prove their guilt.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,273 times
I have received about 8 of these calls. I do not answer and have caller ID. My Husband does answer , he hates to hear the phone ring. His way of dealing with these calls is to say "Just a Minute please" then he puts the phone down and walks away.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:06 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,552,147 times
Caller ID is virtually useless anymore, lil thing called caller ID spoofing.

What you do is use software or use a spoof provider to show virtually any number you want to show on anybody’s caller ID, tons o uses for it but I’m not suggesting in any way someone try it out or use it.

Bondsman, salesman, investigators, lawyers, doctors offices, and yup criminals are using it, even been used voip to make fake 911 calls, if your voicemail is not so secure I could possible use your phone # to recover your mails from my phone, playing pranks on people, doing illegal things, money transfers, ID theft, etc.

Basically never trust any number on your caller ID.

Just do a general search for caller ID spoofing, it’s been around for a good while so there’s tons of info on it

Again I am not suggesting one use this information in any way or form for personal, private, nor illegal usage since it is illegal in some states, any information given here is for informative needs only for ones personal protection of personal information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics