Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:18 AM

126,270 posts, read 19,041,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Passover begins at sundown today (Monday) and ends on April 30. Happy Passover to our Jewish QOTDers.

THE QUESTIONS

1) When was the last time you traveled by yourself on a vacation, (not to visit friends/relatives), and where did you go?..........Never traveled alone for vacation,only with family or friends
- If you liked traveling by yourself, what did you like about it?
- If you won't travel by yourself or never traveled by yourself, what is the reason?...........I love traveling with my family and visit family/relatives and friends

2) If you are on a road trip, where you will be in a vehicle most of the day, what kind of snacks and/or drinks do you bring with you in your vehicle, if any?............Water and coffee,trail mix,sandwiches,vegetables and fruits
- What do you take into consideration, if anything, when you choose what to drink or eat in your vehicle on a trip?...........Easy to eat items and not messy

3) Do you pack the car for a multi-day vacation the day you leave, the day or night before you leave or a few days before you leave?...........Usually the night before

4) If you are staying in a vacation spot for a week or more, and the place you are staying has a kitchenette, do you:

a) bring groceries from home......................Have brought items from home
b) shop for groceries at your vacation spot..............Pending where I am vacationing
c) eat out every night
d) do something else? (explain)...................Sometimes we have a stopover at a friends/family place

5) For any type of vacation, are you more likely to under-pack or over-pack?................I always make sure we have enough for each day
- What are you likely to bring too much or too little of with you?..........See above

6) Have you ever been away on a vacation where the weather has been bad multiple days in a row?...........I don't think so
- If yes, how did you spend your time on those days?

7) How much later or earlier do you get up in the morning when you are on vacation?..............I always get up between 5 and 6 am
- How much earlier or later do you go to bed when you are on vacation?...........No later than 10/11 pm

BONUS QUESTION FOR PEOPLE WHO LIVE OR LIVED WITH SOMEONE OF THE OPPOSITE SEX

Feel free to answer for when you were married or living with someone if you don't live with someone of the opposite sex, now.

8) Are there gender roles in your household for who does what when you go on vacation? .............I always plan the trip,pack suitcases and make sure we all have our important items handy,prepare food and drinks,while my husband takes care of the car details,packing items in the car and does most of the driving for he has a sense of directions compared to me...lol

(Some Examples: Does one of you do all of the suitcase packing? Does one of you always do all of the car packing? Does one of you do all of the shopping for the trip? Does one of you do all of the trip planning? Does one of you do all of the driving on a trip? Does one of you always suggest the vacation spot? Does one of you do all of the unpacking? Does one of you always do the laundry when you return?)

No one stepped up to do the Monday Questions.

Thank you Laura !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
THE QUESTIONS

1) When was the last time you traveled by yourself on a vacation, (not to visit friends/relatives), and where did you go?
- If you won't travel by yourself or never traveled by yourself, what is the reason?
I've never traveled by myself on vacation, just on business or to visit/help a family member in another city. Why? When single I always had a good friend to go with, and since have been married for 50 years so have a wife to take along.

2) If you are on a road trip, where you will be in a vehicle most of the day, what kind of snacks and/or drinks do you bring with you in your vehicle, if any? Bottles of water, protein bars, bag of jerky.
- What do you take into consideration, if anything, when you choose what to drink or eat in your vehicle on a trip? When I'm trying to make good time, it's fast food, and something I can eat while driving. That means burgers or Arby's, nothing sloppy like tacos or burritos.

3) Do you pack the car for a multi-day vacation the day you leave, the day or night before you leave or a few days before you leave? Always that morning, with the car prowls today it's asking for trouble to pack earlier. It takes only 10 minutes at most.

4) If you are staying in a vacation spot for a week or more, and the place you are staying has a kitchenette, do you:

a) bring groceries from home
b) shop for groceries at your vacation spot
c) eat out every night
d) do something else? (explain)
In most cases there will be a grocery store close enough or along the way to avoid having to pack a big ice chest with groceries from home. We will normally have breakfast and lunch at home and eat dinner out.

5) For any type of vacation, are you more likely to under-pack or over-pack? Usually right on.
- What are you likely to bring too much or too little of with you? If anything, clothes.

6) Have you ever been away on a vacation where the weather has been bad multiple days in a row?
- If yes, how did you spend your time on those days? Yes, but then we are used to rain and don't let that slow us down.

7) How much later or earlier do you get up in the morning when you are on vacation?
- How much earlier or later do you go to bed when you are on vacation? No change, same as usual weekend hours.

Feel free to answer for when you were married or living with someone if you don't live with someone of the opposite sex, now.

8) Are there gender roles in your household for who does what when you go on vacation? No, just the usual roles that we have at home, I drive, my wife navigates, I cook, she does the dishes. We each pack our own bags, and we pack the car together. Everything else is agreed upon by discussing. She does all the laundry if only because of my incompetence, after I once turned some of her white clothes pink.

(Some Examples: Does one of you do all of the suitcase packing? Does one of you always do all of the car packing? Does one of you do all of the shopping for the trip? Does one of you do all of the trip planning? Does one of you do all of the driving on a trip? Does one of you always suggest the vacation spot? Does one of you do all of the unpacking? Does one of you always do the laundry when you return?)

Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM

99,541 posts, read 4,490,935 times
1) When was the last time you traveled by yourself on a vacation, (not to visit friends/relatives), and where did you go?
Just last month, I traveled by myself to the upper Midwest--mainly Wisconsin.

I've always preferred traveling by myself. Freedom to do what I want and when I want. I can change plans at any given moment if I desire.
- If you won't travel by yourself or never traveled by yourself, what is the reason?

2) If you are on a road trip, where you will be in a vehicle most of the day, what kind of snacks and/or drinks do you bring with you in your vehicle, if any?
Bottled water, nuts, power bars.
- What do you take into consideration, if anything, when you choose what to drink or eat in your vehicle on a trip?
Easy to replenish with quick stop type gas stations along the way.

3) Do you pack the car for a multi-day vacation the day you leave, the day or night before you leave or a few days before you leave?
No car here. I rent one when I get to my destination.

a) bring groceries from home -
b) shop for groceries at your vacation spot -
c) eat out every night -
Usually eat out every night, but sometimes buy cereal and milk for breakfasts.

5) For any type of vacation, are you more likely to under-pack or over-pack?
- What are you likely to bring too much or too little of with you?
I seem to bring just what I need.

6) Have you ever been away on a vacation where the weather has been bad multiple days in a row?
Bad weather is part of the package. I go about my usual plans, and visit the places I want to visit.

7) How much later or earlier do you get up in the morning when you are on vacation?
- How much earlier or later do you go to bed when you are on vacation?
I keep the same schedule. Usually up by 7 or 7:30.

Thanks, Laura!

Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM

24,458 posts, read 25,995,249 times
THE QUESTIONS

Have never done that, but have thought about it.

2) If you are on a road trip, where you will be in a vehicle most of the day, what kind of snacks and/or drinks do you bring with you in your vehicle, if any?
- What do you take into consideration, if anything, when you choose what to drink or eat in your vehicle on a trip?
Just water, stop for anything else.

3) Do you pack the car for a multi-day vacation the day you leave, the day or night before you leave or a few days before you leave?
The day I would leave.

c) eat out every night
Only stayed at a vacation for a week or more is camping, food is brought beforehand or purchased at the location.

If anything underpack.

No

About the same time.

Could go either way depending on the dats activities.

8) Are there gender roles in your household for who does what when you go on vacation?

The only one would be doing the laundry.

Thanx LauraC, are ready to go?

Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM

1,368 posts, read 613,117 times
THE QUESTIONS

### Mid 70’s I think. Puerto Rico

### After a few days I was bored

### N/A

### Water, we would stop for food not snacks.

###

### The day we leave, sometimes the night before

a) bring groceries from home <
b) shop for groceries at your vacation spot<
c) eat out every night
d) do something else? (explain) eat in the kitchenette

### Depends

### I’m just about right

### We enjoy traveling in the off season, we adapt to the weather. It’s not as some bad as people think.

### Depends on jet lag

### See above

8) Are there gender roles in your household for who does what when you go on vacation?

### We have some, yes

### A blessed Passover to all our Jewish friends.

### THX for the Q’s LauraC

Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM

3,069 posts, read 1,680,944 times
Quote:
Passover begins at sundown today (Monday) and ends on April 30. Happy Passover to our Jewish QOTDers.

THE QUESTIONS

1) When was the last time you traveled by yourself on a vacation, (not to visit friends/relatives), and where did you go? Last solo trip was to Palm Springs in Nov of 2019.
- If you liked traveling by yourself, what did you like about it? I travel either alone or with my husband, never friends. I don't want to risk personality clashes, and I like feeling free to do things my way. But my husband is easy to travel with.
- If you won't travel by yourself or never traveled by yourself, what is the reason? There are places where I won't travel alone - New Orleans is one of them.

2) If you are on a road trip, where you will be in a vehicle most of the day, what kind of snacks and/or drinks do you bring with you in your vehicle, if any? I do very little 'snacking' during road tripping. But we take things like Pringles, Cheetos, cheese strings, boiled eggs if we have room for it in the smaller drink cooler, and Payday bars (no chocolate to melt).
- What do you take into consideration, if anything, when you choose what to drink or eat in your vehicle on a trip? For the driver, something easy enough to eat. Payday and cheeses are for the protein and less mess. Drinks could be anything. I have IBS, so I typically eat and drink next to nothing until we stop somewhere for the night.

3) Do you pack the car for a multi-day vacation the day you leave, the day or night before you leave or a few days before you leave? On the day we leave. Breaking into cars to steal is a big crime where I live.

a) bring groceries from home We haven't yet.
b) shop for groceries at your vacation spot Yes but just basics
c) eat out every night Mostly

5) For any type of vacation, are you more likely to under-pack or
?
- What are you likely to bring too much or too little of with you? I pack things that many people don't: back-massager stuff, small lint-roller, small bottles of Febreeze, wrinkle-remover spray, lots of vitamins, an extension cord (and, yes, still find myself using it in motels), and I still take my laptop with me because I hate - HATE! - using my phone for anything besides calls. Needless to say, I wind up with heavy carry-ons, the computer goes under the seat.

- If yes, how did you spend your time on those days? I was on a solo trip to NYC one year and got caught in an Nor'easter storm. Rained a lot off 'n' on and I got soaked crossing the Brooklyn Bridge (no sign of rains when I started the morning). But multiple days in a row... nope.

7) How much later or earlier do you get up in the morning when you are on vacation? I get up about the same time - 8 to 8:30.
- How much earlier or later do you go to bed when you are on vacation? Go to bed earlier but I turn on the room TV and wind up turning off the late around my usual time.

8) Are there gender roles in your household for who does what when you go on vacation? Well, when I travel on my own, he's pretty much in charge of laundry and his own meals.
I pack my own stuff, he packs his own, and he carries the bigger heavier suitcases down to the car.
I do most of the shopping but he buys whatever is needed for the car. He packs all the stuff into the back.
(He's a good 'stuffer'.) I'm the trip-planner. I do the unpacking, though I leave his suitcase up to him.
I do the laundry. He takes the car to the car wash.

Have a good week, everyone!

Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Passover begins at sundown today (Monday) and ends on April 30. Happy Passover to our Jewish QOTDers. Thank you, I am Jewish, and thank you for the questions.

THE QUESTIONS

1) When was the last time you traveled by yourself on a vacation, (not to visit friends/relatives), and where did you go? Club Med Cancun in March 1990, after I started dating my now-wife and after my plans were cemented
- If you liked traveling by yourself, what did you like about it? Picking my excursions
- If you won't travel by yourself or never traveled by yourself, what is the reason? I'm happily married since May 1991.

2) If you are on a road trip, where you will be in a vehicle most of the day, what kind of snacks and/or drinks do you bring with you in your vehicle, if any? I have to think about that for May 10-13.
- What do you take into consideration, if anything, when you choose what to drink or eat in your vehicle on a trip? Not sure.

3) Do you pack the car for a multi-day vacation the day you leave, the day or night before you leave or a few days before you leave? This time it will be the day we leave.

4) If you are staying in a vacation spot for a week or more, and the place you are staying has a kitchenette, do you: n/a

c) eat out every night

5) For any type of vacation, are you more likely to under-pack or over-pack? Always over-pack and then make a "New Years'" resolution not to.
- What are you likely to bring too much or too little of with you? Clothes

6) Have you ever been away on a vacation where the weather has been bad multiple days in a row? Antigua in May 1993.
- If yes, how did you spend your time on those days? We read most of Carl Hiaasen's books

7) How much later or earlier do you get up in the morning when you are on vacation? Depends on the planned activities
- How much earlier or later do you go to bed when you are on vacation? Depends on the planned activities

8) Are there gender roles in your household for who does what when you go on vacation? Not in particular. We each pack our own bags.

No one stepped up to do the Monday Questions. Your shoes are too big to fill

Old Yesterday, 07:41 PM

14,772 posts, read 8,103,690 times
Quote:

THE QUESTIONS

I haven't ever traveled by myself on vacation before.
The reason is that I have always traveled with family and a few times with friends.

I don't eat or drink in the car (exception is I might take bottled water)....stop once or twice and grab something to eat at restaurants.

Night before usually.

b) shop for groceries at your vacation spot <------This
c) eat out every night <------some of this
I can only recall staying at a hotel with a kitchenette twice, my whole life.

I am pretty good at packing the right amount.

Probably but Not that I recall.

I am sorta a night owl, but I might rise a bit earlier on vacation.

It's a mixture, we share doing it....maybe I do a tiny bit more.

Thank you for your questions.

Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times

THE QUESTIONS

1) When was the last time you traveled by yourself on a vacation, (not to visit friends/relatives), and where did you go? Was on vacation by myself last year at this time. Delaware. Will be back there this week.
- If you liked traveling by yourself, what did you like about it? Like traveling by myself because I don't have to compromise on how I spend my day and more practically, I need the passenger seat in the car for my cameras and lenses since I use my car as a blind.
- If you won't travel by yourself or never traveled by yourself, what is the reason? N/A

2) If you are on a road trip, where you will be in a vehicle most of the day, what kind of snacks and/or drinks do you bring with you in your vehicle, if any? A bottle of water, peanut butter crackers and Oreos that come in the little packages.
- What do you take into consideration, if anything, when you choose what to drink or eat in your vehicle on a trip? I have to be able to reach the unrapped item without looking at it and it has to go in my mouth in one bite. No chocolate candy because it melts. I need the water if I have to take a NoDoz. I keep 2 loose NoDoz in the compartment under the arm rest.

3) Do you pack the car for a multi-day vacation the day you leave, the day or night before you leave or a few days before you leave? The car gets packed the weekend before I leave because I need help to do it. The exception is my camera bags, directions and CDs which I put in my car when I leave.

c) eat out every night

Bring groceries from home. Don't want to spend my vacation time, shopping. Also pick up take out some nights.

Overpack. Drug store items.

6) Have you ever been away on a vacation where the weather has been bad multiple days in a row? JINX QUESTION... Oh wait, I asked the question. . Not multiple days in a row, so far. Well actually, I hate bright sunny no cloud days in a row for taking bird and flower photos more than photos on scattered shower days.
- If yes, how did you spend your time on those days? Every day I'm away I'm outdoors from sunrise so if the weather is awful, I go to a casino for a few hours.

All of the fresh air makes me tired so I go to sleep earlier on vacation and I'm out by sunrise which at this time of year is around 6:00A, where I'm going. At home, lately, it's around 8:00a or 9:00A.

There were definitely "jobs" by gender when I was married and going on vacation. I don't think I ever drove on those trips and even though planning is one of my better skills, I had little or no input.

Old Yesterday, 10:33 PM

44,351 posts, read 20,056,503 times
Passover begins at sundown today (Monday) and ends on April 30. Happy Passover to our Jewish QOTDers. Yes! Happy Passover!

THE QUESTIONS

1) When was the last time you traveled by yourself on a vacation, (not to visit friends/relatives), and where did you go? I've never traveled alone on a vacation when it was not to visit friends or relatives.
- If you won't travel by yourself or never traveled by yourself, what is the reason? Before I met my boyfriend (13 years ago), I had only vacationed alone when it involved visiting friends or relatives. I hated going to the airport (O'Hare) by myself and did not like having no one to talk to while flying. I did like looking out the window of the plane, though.

2) If you are on a road trip, where you will be in a vehicle most of the day, what kind of snacks and/or drinks do you bring with you in your vehicle, if any? It's been quite a while since I was last on a road trip more than a couple of hours. Last couple of trips were with my sister, and we brought t-ware containers of salad and some meat and cheese to eat at a rest stop along the way.
- What do you take into consideration, if anything, when you choose what to drink or eat in your vehicle on a trip? It must be something that's not too junky, nor messy, nor hot. I will drink a cold beverage (usually water) while driving, but will stop somewhere along the way to eat.

3) Do you pack the car for a multi-day vacation the day you leave, the day or night before you leave or a few days before you leave? The day of. I don't have a garage to park in. I've never taken a lengthy road trip (more than several days), so I didn't have to pack very much and it was easy to put just a bag or two in the car just before leaving the house.

a) bring groceries from home <<This.
b) shop for groceries at your vacation spot <<Perhaps a few things, if needed.
c) eat out every night

5) For any type of vacation, are you more likely to under-pack or over-pack? Over-pack.
- What are you likely to bring too much or too little of with you? Clothing in general. I'm never quite sure how many casual outfits versus dressy outfits I'll need, or how many warm-weather clothes versus cool- or cold-weather clothes I'll need. So..... I bring plenty of both.

6) Have you ever been away on a vacation where the weather has been bad multiple days in a row? Yes.
- If yes, how did you spend your time on those days? In May of last year my boyfriend and I were in Iceland for 6 days. The weather was awful: low 30s, rainy and sleety and very windy every day. But we did plenty of research beforehand and were well prepared. We had a ball despite the weather. Lots of layers and waterproof outer clothing. Nothing stopped us from going out. This was one vacation for which I did not pack any warm-weather clothes.

A couple hours earlier for both, as my boyfriend is an early to bed, early to rise person. No sense in me staying up by myself. If I travel with my sister, we stay up late (midnight to 1 a.m.) and don't get up till about 8:30 a.m.

I've never lived with a spouse/partner; have lived alone my entire adult life.

No one stepped up to do the Monday Questions. I'm sorry to read this, LauraC. You've done a great job, and it's been much appreciated. I hope someone will step up next Monday.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics