Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2024, 09:26 PM

37,797 posts, read 40,996,819 times

Advertisements

Greetings on Income Tax Day in the USA. If the groundhog sees his shadow, we'll have 4 more years of paying even higher taxes.

THE QUESTIONS

1) What multiple day news story in your lifetime kept you glued to the TV (or computer) every day it was covered?

2) Now think of all of the events in history that happened BEFORE television was invented. What event (good or bad) do you think would have captured your attention and that would have had you glued to the TV over multiple days watching beginning to end news coverage?

3) Don't want to get all Star Trek on you but can you split your thumb, pointer finger and middle finger apart from your ring finger and pinkie finger with both hands to make a V? (Go ahead, try it.) Was it easier to do with your dominant hand?

4) Do you regret, later on in life, having donated money to any charity when you were younger? If yes, was it because the charity was a scam or because your opinion of what you support changed when you got older?

5) When you walk into a hotel or motel room, for the first time, what are 3 things you check out in the room before you unpack?

Live long and prosper!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2024, 10:15 PM

21,535 posts, read 8,719,477 times
Greetings on Income Tax Day in the USA. If the groundhog sees his shadow, we'll have 4 more years of paying even higher taxes.

THE QUESTIONS

1) What multiple day news story in your lifetime kept you glued to the TV (or computer) every day it was covered?
The 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake.

2) Now think of all of the events in history that happened BEFORE television was invented. What event (good or bad) do you think would have captured your attention and that would have had you glued to the TV over multiple days watching beginning to end news coverage?
Pearl Harbor.

3) Don't want to get all Star Trek on you but can you split your thumb, pointer finger and middle finger apart from your ring finger and pinkie finger with both hands to make a V? (Go ahead, try it.) Was it easier to do with your dominant hand?
I can do it just as easily with either hand, but my ring and pinkie fingers won't stay together

4) Do you regret, later on in life, having donated money to any charity when you were younger? If yes, was it because the charity was a scam or because your opinion of what you support changed when you got older?
I'm careful about who I donate to, so I have no regrets.

5) When you walk into a hotel or motel room, for the first time, what are 3 things you check out in the room before you unpack?
1. The bathroom
2. The bed
3. The TV

Thanks, LauraC!

Old 04-14-2024, 10:47 PM

11,365 posts, read 9,278,159 times
THE QUESTIONS

1) What multiple day news story in your lifetime kept you glued to the TV (or computer) every day it was covered? - Since I'm pretty sure you were living in the Washington, DC area at the time, you will remember this one:

https://www.fbi.gov/history/famous-c...eltway-snipers

Quote:
Beltway Snipers
At 3:19 in the morning on October 24, 2002, the FBI closed in on the snipers and their 1990 Chevy Caprice.

During the month, 10 people had been randomly gunned down and three critically injured while going about their everyday lives—mowing the lawn, pumping gas, shopping, reading a book.
The one mowing the lawn, I was outside less than 2 miles away at the same time the man was senselessly gunned down.

2) Now think of all of the events in history that happened BEFORE television was invented. What event (good or bad) do you think would have captured your attention and that would have had you glued to the TV over multiple days watching beginning to end news coverage? - Any major news story.

4) Do you regret, later on in life, having donated money to any charity when you were younger? If yes, was it because the charity was a scam or because your opinion of what you support changed when you got older? - Church as a kid when i was forced to go.

5) When you walk into a hotel or motel room, for the first time, what are 3 things you check out in the room before you unpack? - A rarity for me but I'll play along:

1. - Bed (I check for bugs)
2. - Enough towels
3. - TV remote

Live long and prosper! - Thanks, Laura!

Old 04-14-2024, 10:54 PM

14,768 posts, read 8,099,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

THE QUESTIONS

The OJ Trial, 9/11, Jan 6

So I will go with the Titanic, World War I and World War II, Civil War, Revolutionary war, War of 1812.

(I know television was invented in 1927 or so, but it wasn't common in homes until the 50's.)
Nope, can't do it. (I tried multiple times when I was younger)

No regrets.

1.Bathroom
2. Bed
3.Windows/doors

Live long and prosper!
Thanks for the questions!

Old 04-15-2024, 12:18 AM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
THE QUESTIONS

1) What multiple day news story in your lifetime kept you glued to the TV (or computer) every day it was covered? Kennedy assassination. Columbia Spacecraft disaster.

2) Now think of all of the events in history that happened BEFORE television was invented. What event (good or bad) do you think would have captured your attention and that would have had you glued to the TV over multiple days watching beginning to end news coverage? Civil War, Lincoln assassination, Titanic sinking, 1929 Wall WallStreet crash, Hindenburg crash.

3) Don't want to get all Star Trek on you but can you split your thumb, pointer finger and middle finger apart from your ring finger and pinkie finger with both hands to make a V? (Go ahead, try it.) Was it easier to do with your dominant hand? Both the same.

1. Bathroom
2. Bed
3. TV

Live long and prosper! U-2

Old 04-15-2024, 04:40 AM

30,502 posts, read 16,206,257 times
Quote:

THE QUESTIONS

the Twin Towers destruction

Lewis/Clark exploration
eruption of Mt Vesuvius

both equal

nope

1.the smell
2. the window/curtain
3. the bathroom

Live long and prosper!
thanks, Laura. neatsy cool questions

Old 04-15-2024, 05:47 AM

126,267 posts, read 19,036,909 times
Quote:

THE QUESTIONS

1) What multiple day news story in your lifetime kept you glued to the TV (or computer) every day it was covered?.........Not glued to the TV,but heard daily updates on radio about Ukraine and other sad events or exciting events like FIFA World Cups

2) Now think of all of the events in history that happened BEFORE television was invented. What event (good or bad) do you think would have captured your attention and that would have had you glued to the TV over multiple days watching beginning to end news coverage?.......As others mentioned about the Titanic,the wars,first railway opening in Canada,first telegraph and much more

3) Don't want to get all Star Trek on you but can you split your thumb, pointer finger and middle finger apart from your ring finger and pinkie finger with both hands to make a V? (Go ahead, try it.) Was it easier to do with your dominant hand?...........Same

4) Do you regret, later on in life, having donated money to any charity when you were younger? If yes, was it because the charity was a scam or because your opinion of what you support changed when you got older?.............No

1. At entry the smell
2. Bathroom
3.Bed bugs

Live long and prosper!
You too Laura and thank you for the questions!

Old 04-15-2024, 07:07 AM

1,366 posts, read 612,242 times

###HAHAHA

THE QUESTIONS

### I’ve lived long so there’s more than one,

1. Assasination of JFK
2. Kent State
3. 9/11
4. The hunt for OBL ends in his death. Family trivia, my wife’s sister was stationed at the base in Afghanistan when his corpse was brought in, shortly afterwards the mass murderer ended up swimming with the fishies.

### The death of Tutankhamen, and finding the tomb of Nefertiti.

### I can actually do it faster and better on my left hand, slower in my dominant. Weird

### Only one, The Red Cross. My father and I put money together and donated a generous amount of money for the victims of 9/11, local law enforcement and firefighters and it was reported the Red Cross was allotting that money to other areas. It became a big scandal where the head of the Red Cross resigned. Back then when the story broke to write down on the check in the “For” line to ensure that $ goes to where/who you want it to go. Not sure if does and will never know, but still. Anyway, we now donate mostly locally.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/charity-case/

1. I head for the freebie bottles of water
2. That the pillows and comforter are not down feathers. I’m allergic
3. That we have enough hangers

Live long and prosper!

### THX for the Q’s LauraC

Old 04-15-2024, 07:12 AM

50,350 posts, read 63,928,555 times
THE QUESTIONS

1) What multiple day news story in your lifetime kept you glued to the TV (or computer) every day it was covered? The first one was when JFK was shot.

2) Now think of all of the events in history that happened BEFORE television was invented. What event (good or bad) do you think would have captured your attention and that would have had you glued to the TV over multiple days watching beginning to end news coverage? WWII

3) Don't want to get all Star Trek on you but can you split your thumb, pointer finger and middle finger apart from your ring finger and pinkie finger with both hands to make a V? (Go ahead, try it.) Was it easier to do with your dominant hand? Yes

4) Do you regret, later on in life, having donated money to any charity when you were younger? If yes, was it because the charity was a scam or because your opinion of what you support changed when you got older? Don’t think so.

1. How it smells
2. How does the bathroom look?
3. How does the bed look?

Live long and prosper!

Old 04-15-2024, 07:44 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
THE QUESTIONS

1) What multiple day news story in your lifetime kept you glued to the TV (or computer) every day it was covered? The JFK Assassination in 1963, the D.B. Cooper hijacking, the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake, the 9/11 attack in 2001, the OJ Slow white Bronco chase.

2) Now think of all of the events in history that happened BEFORE television was invented. What event (good or bad) do you think would have captured your attention and that would have had you glued to the TV over multiple days watching beginning to end news coverage? The Boston Tea Party, the Civil War, Lincoln Assassination, the attack on Pearl Harbor.

3) Don't want to get all Star Trek on you but can you split your thumb, pointer finger and middle finger apart from your ring finger and pinkie finger with both hands to make a V? (Go ahead, try it.) Was it easier to do with your dominant hand? Yes, both, but I have done it before while watching the original (Shatner) Star Trek.

4) Do you regret, later on in life, having donated money to any charity when you were younger? If yes, was it because the charity was a scam or because your opinion of what you support changed when you got older? At a previous employer we were coerced, almost forced to participate in United Way. At the time it made me angry because I preferred to donate directly so that the charity got all of the funds, rather than some going into overhead. Also, it's none of my employer's business whether I donate or not.

1. Look for any bugs
2. Make sure there is toilet paper
3. Does the TV work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics