Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 11:26 AM
NCN NCN started this thread

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times

Advertisements

If you will make that June 14th and June 21th, we can join you. Most people will not be able to stay home from work. I don't know about everybody else, but since we are retired and my dh works from home, we only do necessary trips and try to combine trips. For instance if a book is overdue, I just pay the fine rather than make a special trip to the library and go to the library on days that I am in town because I have to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 02:44 PM
cwh

345 posts, read 945,630 times
Slow down and start using less gas. I have started driving more conservative over the past several months. My car is rate for 18/26, but I am averaging about 26mpg with about a 50/50 mix of city/highway driving.

We have further cut back by leaving the least fuel efficient car parked as much as possible.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:29 PM
NCN NCN started this thread

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Being conservative in your driving does save a lot of gas. I have noticed fewer people riding bumpers lately. Maybe this gas crisis will have some positive benefits. We have a Le Sabre that is supposed to get a little over 28 mph on the open highway, if I remember correctly. We have been getting over 30 and averaging 28 on daily driving. We recently came back down highway 29 from Charlottesville, VA, and averaged 35.1 mph. That is the best I ever recall getting on gas mileage.

One thing I have mentioned to my dh is that he keeps the gas on until he comes right up to a light and then applies the brakes. I don't use my brakes a lot and I usually get much better gas mileage than he does. You can look at the average mph on our car and know who has been driving. When I am in a lane and see the light turn to red, I immediately take my foot off the gas and let the car coast to the light. I know, it drives some drivers crazy, but they do not pay for my gas or brakes. I don't have to have new brakes very often. Starting out slow and steady is another thing that saves gas. I mean, where is the fire, anyway. So you get there ten minutes later, does it really matter that much? Yes, I know, sometimes it does if you are late for work. Just leave a little earlier next time.

Last edited by NCN; 05-31-2008 at 05:37 PM..

Old 05-31-2008, 05:37 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,025,035 times
Do you think we can stay home on April 15th and protest the IRS? That might be more useful!

Old 05-31-2008, 09:35 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Default Send A Strong Message

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
If you will make that June 14th and June 21th, we can join you. Most people will not be able to stay home from work. I don't know about everybody else, but since we are retired and my dh works from home, we only do necessary trips and try to combine trips. For instance if a book is overdue, I just pay the fine rather than make a special trip to the library and go to the library on days that I am in town because I have to be.

I think we need to go a step further and try to discourage as many people as possible from traveling. As much as I hate to say this, I hope there is a sharp decline in travel this year. We've got to do what we can to convince oil companies that we're not going to take this anymore. These gas prices are going to hurt the overall economy. You watch. First, the truck drivers; next, the airlines.

It's going to be (if not already) a domino effect that affects every relationship of life.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:54 PM
cwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I think we need to go a step further and try to discourage as many people as possible from traveling. As much as I hate to say this, I hope there is a sharp decline in travel this year. We've got to do what we can to convince oil companies that we're not going to take this anymore. These gas prices are going to hurt the overall economy. You watch. First, the truck drivers; next, the airlines.

It's going to be (if not already) a domino effect that affects every relationship of life.
It is not the oil companies. The oil companies you complain about only have control over of less than 10% of the world oil fields. MOst of the oil is controlled by state run oil companies.

Meanwhile our congress is keeping those oil companies from pumping oil of major reserves that sit on our own soil.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:21 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,432,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwh View Post
Slow down and start using less gas. I have started driving more conservative over the past several months.
Here is a new word: northwestification. One of the symptoms of this is driving more slowly. Anyone who moves to the northwest is usually annoyed by how slowly everyone drives. They're now not as annoying, I bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
Do you think we can stay home on April 15th and protest the IRS? That might be more useful!
I'll stay home! Might not be more useful, but I'm willing to try.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:11 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Some of us cant afford to 'not' go to work, but what those oil companies need is a boycott, somehow, for a whole 3-6 months to even put a dent in their greed.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:22 AM
cwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Some of us cant afford to 'not' go to work, but what those oil companies need is a boycott, somehow, for a whole 3-6 months to even put a dent in their greed.
Oil companies, while they are having record revenue, their profit margins are still less than 10%. If this is considered greed, what should their profit margins be.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:39 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,702 times
The only way this might put a dent in the BIG oil companies is if you refuse to drive from June 14 THROUGH June 21.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics