Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 12:28 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,587,747 times

Advertisements

All reports say: take public transportation, ride a bike, car-pool, etc. This may work in larger cities. However, in very rural America, where we reside, this is impossible. I have at least a 15 to 100 mile round trip drive to the next towns for groceries, library, post office, health care, etc. The closest VA hosp. for my DH is 170 miles round trip. We chose to move to the country many, many years ago. This is our home. Cannot sell and move to a big city. Not with the decline around here of home sales and other considerations.

Would love to know the 'real' answer for these rising fuel costs. Listen to the news, read the papers, read internet. Still no direct answer. I combine my visits to the next town, always. Have done this for years, so no big deal there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 09:32 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,918,176 times
Thumbs up Out of gas while in the entrance of a parking lot.

I’m always one to enjoy a protest and this topic is a good one to work with. I’ll be more then happy to stay home those dates. However I have yet another thought on how to make a bigger impact with the government about how little they are doing to help deal with the problem.

Government offices are all over this country and we don’t have to go very far to find one or more of their buildings and parking lots. Yep,,,, parking lots! It would be very funning if a line of protesters in their cars who ran out of gas while trying to get into the parking lot/garage entrances. You know the government would want their parking entrances to be open for their workers. This would also be a good protest on closing down the government who fails the public so miserably each day. All government parking closed at “morning rush hour” because other cars attempting to enter ran out of gas and blocked the entrances. Employees failed to get into the office, and traffic would be tied up for hours before they could unwind the mess.

Of course this should only happen in the movies and I wouldn't want to promote such a terrible action upon parking lots/garages.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:08 AM

36,668 posts, read 67,634,704 times
Yikes.

Id love to but Im driving from SF to Seattle. At least I'll be in a Prius.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:12 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,684,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
Do you think we can stay home on April 15th and protest the IRS? That might be more useful!

Everyone due a refund file as soon as possible and have refund direct deposited. That will get your money out of government hands. Everyone who has a balance file for an extension. Keep your money as long as possible.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:45 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,369,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
Do you think we can stay home on April 15th and protest the IRS? That might be more useful!
I protest those buggers every day of the year! Why give them a special one?

I've noticed a lot less traffic on the roads where I live and more drivers slowing it down. There's also been a rise in scooters zooming around.

Although I will be staying home on those days the hubster can't. He will however, be riding his motorcycle to and from work!

Old 06-06-2008, 01:42 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,671,846 times
You know what would be really nice, would be if all the truckers ran out of fuel on the major highways going in to Washington, DC, can you imagine what that would do, it would shut down all of the major highways going into Washington, DC and nobody could get in or get out, now wouldn't that be interesting....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics