Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2023, 02:57 AM

104 posts, read 71,915 times

Advertisements

If there is one thing I've always been fascinated about is genes and how unpredictable they can be. My friend looks absolutely nothing like her parents but she's their biological daughter. How often do cases like her happen? Can a gene skip so much and all of the sudden it reappears again after so long to the point you look nothing like your own parents?

Her parents are both traditional brown-skinned Mexicans with brown eyes (dominant trait obviously) and indigenous features. They got 3 children and my friend is their oldest child and the only one different from their other 2 kids. While their other kids look similar to them, she is totally different. She came out white, strawberry blonde hair and bluish-grey eyes. When she was born, both initially thought the nurses handed them the wrong baby. They requested the baby to get tested. As requested, the baby was but it came out positive. She's their biological child.

Meanwhile the mother can't remember anyone in her family being white with recessive genes, the father had a couple distant ancestors (far in the past though) that were white Europeans with light eyes. It turns out he's a carrier (Bb) of several recessive genes even though he's brown-skinned. She takes over after one of her father's ancestors who is already long dead. She looks nothing like her parents even though she's their child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2023, 08:11 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
I have no idea. A classmate in second and third grade, Mary Jo, had very light skin, blue eyes, and light blonde hair. Her parents and two younger sisters all had an olive complexion and very dark eyes and hair.

It may not be related, but she died of bone cancer before the end of third grade. Her younger sisters lived at least to adulthood. I lost track of them after that.

Old 03-06-2023, 02:13 AM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Look can skip generations.
Sometimes children end up looking exactly like one parent, or even closely mirroring a sibling, and sometimes they don't resemble anyone in the family.

https://www.familyeducation.com/fami...ic-explanation

Old 03-06-2023, 04:14 AM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Yep, my son looks nothing like me or his father, but he does resemble one of his paternal aunts. However she is the odd one out in her immediate family, looking nothing like any of her many siblings nor her parents. Somewhere on the family tree I am sure there is an ancestor with light hair and freckles who somehow snuck his or her genes into a family that otherwise is your stereotypical dark haired, dark eyed and olive skinned southern Italian.

Old 03-06-2023, 04:46 PM

899 posts, read 671,293 times
I've heard there are pockets of blue-eyed, fair-skinned Cubans.

https://www.mybigfatcubanfamily.com/...nt-look-cuban/

It's the blue eyes and fair skin that seems to confuse people. Or maybe it's that all the news lately from Cuba seems to show a sort of third-world-dark-skinned population. And yes, many Cubans are black. And Chinese. And even Jewish. We Cubans come in all sizes and flavors. =D

I found a picture of an ancestor who looked native (Apache?), which filtered down to my maternal aunt and her kids, but not us. But many people in my family probably haven't seen the picture and might be surprised if they had a baby who looked like her.

Old 03-06-2023, 09:38 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
I (1st born) look like my mother and a grand parent combined, my brother (2nd born) looks exactly like a grandmother and my sister (3rd born) looks exactly like dad. It's all in the jeans, oops gene's.
And in genealogy research we all have looks like various relatives in the past 200 years.

Old 03-06-2023, 10:18 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,059,784 times
My older brother doesn't look like anyone in the family. My sister and I look alike, and we both have similarities to both our parents. However, while my brother and I are very light-skinned, my sister has darker, olive skin. She has dark eyes and mine are blue. I'm the only blue-eyed person in the extended family. My sister's hair was brown (it's grey now) and mine has always been blonde.

When I was a little kid, I didn't look like anyone in the family. It wasn't until I reached my teen years that I started to look like my sister and my parents.

I have a friend whose daughter looks like an identical twin to her first cousin. When the two cousins are together, it's really difficult to tell them apart. Even their voices are the same. Cousins. Go figure.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 03-07-2023, 07:29 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,106,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post
My older brother doesn't look like anyone in the family. My sister and I look alike, and we both have similarities to both our parents. However, while my brother and I are very light-skinned, my sister has darker, olive skin. She has dark eyes and mine are blue. I'm the only blue-eyed person in the extended family. My sister's hair was brown (it's grey now) and mine has always been blonde.

When I was a little kid, I didn't look like anyone in the family. It wasn't until I reached my teen years that I started to look like my sister and my parents.

I have a friend whose daughter looks like an identical twin to her first cousin. When the two cousins are together, it's really difficult to tell them apart. Even their voices are the same. Cousins. Go figure.

Patty Duke show's theme song is now stuck in my head
"...Because they're cousins...identical cousins!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr8nJfD7sKE

Old 03-08-2023, 05:57 AM

104 posts, read 71,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTXwhatnext View Post
I've heard there are pockets of blue-eyed, fair-skinned Cubans.

https://www.mybigfatcubanfamily.com/...nt-look-cuban/

It's the blue eyes and fair skin that seems to confuse people. Or maybe it's that all the news lately from Cuba seems to show a sort of third-world-dark-skinned population. And yes, many Cubans are black. And Chinese. And even Jewish. We Cubans come in all sizes and flavors. =D

I found a picture of an ancestor who looked native (Apache?), which filtered down to my maternal aunt and her kids, but not us. But many people in my family probably haven't seen the picture and might be surprised if they had a baby who looked like her.
Yes they've been increasing over the past years. There are several whites with blue or green eyes in other Latin countries such as Argentina or Uruguay too.
Genes can be crazy and wild. It's like rolling the dice and that makes it so fascinating about it. They're so unpredictable, popping up any moment. The friend's father was taken by surprise that his ancestors' white genes still passed after being apparently inactive for generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics