Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 10:02 PM

44,475 posts, read 20,273,814 times

Advertisements

Howdy, neighbors! It's time to scroll on down and see what I came up with for

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

A couple of hours ago, my city notified residents via phone call that we are under a "boil water advisory" because of a large broken water main. For at least the next 48 hours, we must boil for at least 5 minutes all water which will be used for cooking or drinking. I'm fortunate because at least I have fairly normal water pressure. A large area of the city is completely without water or is getting just a trickle.

Has your home ever been without water service for any period of time?

If you've been without water service, what was the cause of the disruption?

Have you ever been under a boil water advisory?

Have you ever had a broken water pipe inside your home?

If your home has a basement, has water ever leaked in or accumulated on the floor by any means?

Has the area where you live ever had water rationing or restrictions because of a drought?

BONUS QUESTIONS

Do you like to swim?

Can you swim underwater?

Have you ever snorkeled?

Have you ever SCUBA dived?

Have you ever swum nekkid?

Does your home/property have a swimming pool?

When you were a kid, was there a community pool near your home?

That's all I've got, kiddos. It's time for me to get ready for bed and brush my teeth with bottled water. Have a marvelous Tuesday, and don't forget to commit an act of kindness.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-18-2022, 10:27 PM

62,611 posts, read 88,705,178 times

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

A couple of hours ago, my city notified residents via phone call that we are under a "boil water advisory" because of a large broken water main. For at least the next 48 hours, we must boil for at least 5 minutes all water which will be used for cooking or drinking. I'm fortunate because at least I have fairly normal water pressure. A large area of the city is completely without water or is getting just a trickle.

Yes, two winters ago when Texas water supply froze. I was without water and electricity for 6 days.

See above.

Few years ago when a city main broke.

No.

If your home has a basement, has water ever leaked in or accumulated on the floor by any means?

No basements here.

Has the area where you live ever had water rationing or restrictions because of a drought?

Almost constantly. Stage I, II or III

BONUS QUESTIONS

Do you like to swim?

Yes.

Can you swim underwater?

That too.

Have you ever snorkeled?

Years ago, during my trip to NZ to admire their coral reefs.
BTW: We have in Poland world's deepest swimming pool. Going to visit it next Summer.

No.

Yes. But why ?

My rental in Houston has swimming pool.

I grow up in a house directly on a beach. There aren't any community pools, except covered pools in Aquapark and similar places. Some schools have pools.

That's all I've got, kiddos. It's time for me to get ready for bed and brush my teeth with bottled water. Have a marvelous Tuesday, and don't forget to commit an act of kindness.

That's what I use when living in Texas. Bottled or filtered water.

Last edited by elnina; 04-18-2022 at 10:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2022, 10:48 PM

21,743 posts, read 8,880,895 times

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Oh, no! I hope it gets fixed soon.

Yes. Once due to a water main break; another time following an accident in the garage that damaged the plumbing, so we had to turn off the water at the mains. In the latter incident, it took four days to get our water back. That was no fun!
See above.
No, we haven't.
Yes, and we've also had the garage flooded when the water heater failed.
No basement here.
Yes, back in the 1990s. We were restricted to 50 gallons per day, per person.
BONUS QUESTIONS

Do you like to swim?
Yes, I do.
Can you swim underwater?
Yes, I can.
Have you ever snorkeled?
Yes, I have.
Yes, I have.
Yes, I have.
No, the nearest pool is at the YMCA.
No, there wasn't.

Thanks, Pam, and good luck with the water situation.

Old 04-18-2022, 10:49 PM
bjh

60,527 posts, read 30,675,516 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS
Just a few hours.
Street work.
Nope.
Not while i lived there.
No basement, no leaks.
Lawn watering restrictions, but I don't water the lawn. The rain does.

BONUS QUESTIONS
Do you like to swim?
I do.
Can you swim underwater?
As opposed to over water? Yes, I can swim.
Have you ever snorkeled?

No.
Yes
Not currently.
Yep. We walked to it.

That's all I've got, kiddos. It's time for me to get ready for bed and brush my teeth with bottled water.
G'night, Pam.

Old 04-19-2022, 12:24 AM

44,757 posts, read 62,145,227 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Has your home ever been without water service for any period of time? No.

If you've been without water service, what was the cause of the disruption? n/a

Have you ever been under a boil water advisory? No.

Have you ever had a broken water pipe inside your home? Nope.

If your home has a basement, has water ever leaked in or accumulated on the floor by any means? n/a

Has the area where you live ever had water rationing or restrictions because of a drought? Not yet but there is talk of rationing in the near future.

BONUS QUESTIONS

Do you like to swim? Used to, haven't been in years.

Can you swim underwater? Yes both over & under.

Have you ever snorkeled? Yes.

Have you ever SCUBA dived? No.

Have you ever swum nekkid? Of course.

Does your home/property have a swimming pool? No we live on a lake where you can swim, fish, or boating.

When you were a kid, was there a community pool near your home? Nope.

~ Life's a gift. Don't waste it. ~
Rate this post positively

Old 04-19-2022, 01:10 AM

37,871 posts, read 41,287,644 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Yes

If you've been without water service, what was the cause of the disruption? It was a town scheduled flushing of the pipes. I have no idea what that means regarding why they did it.

Have you ever been under a boil water advisory? No

Have you ever had a broken water pipe inside your home? No

If your home has a basement, has water ever leaked in or accumulated on the floor by any means? No basement.

Has the area where you live ever had water rationing or restrictions because of a drought? Decades ago when I lived on Long Island (NY).

BONUS QUESTIONS

Do you like to swim?
I used to.

Can you swim underwater? I used to.

Have you ever snorkeled? No

Have you ever SCUBA dived? No

Have you ever swum nekkid? No

Does your home/property have a swimming pool? The apartment complex has one.

When you were a kid, was there a community pool near your home? My high school had a pool and swimming as part of gym class. When I was 12, I took swimming lessons there in the summer. I want to say it was The Red Cross that conducted the summer swimming program but that (The Red Cross part) doesn't seem right to me now.

Old 04-19-2022, 02:30 AM

11,450 posts, read 9,405,182 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS

- No to these four questions.

If your home has a basement, has water ever leaked in or accumulated on the floor by any means? - For years when growing up, not since.

Has the area where you live ever had water rationing or restrictions because of a drought? - Only a couple of times regarding to not wash one's vehicle and restricted times for water sprinklers.

BONUS QUESTIONS

Do you like to swim? - It's okay, haven't swam in 15 years.

Can you swim underwater? - Yes

Have you ever snorkeled? - No

Have you ever SCUBA dived? - Nope

Have you ever swum nekkid? - Haven't

Does your home/property have a swimming pool? - No

When you were a kid, was there a community pool near your home? - Nope

That's all I've got, kiddos. It's time for me to get ready for bed and brush my teeth with bottled water. Have a marvelous Tuesday, and don't forget to commit an act of kindness. - Best wishes and thank you!

Old 04-19-2022, 04:37 AM

15,032 posts, read 8,347,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Hope they get it sorted out soon for you.
except for a few hours because the water pipes outside on the lawn froze

Just for a few hours while they were flushing the pipes
Not inside, but outside on the front lawn
Yes, bathroom bathtub leaked (hubby had to go to home depo and pick up a washer to the bath tub faucet) I think he said. It just left a small spot on the ceiling though, it didn't flood the floor...
Decades ago a couple times....they didn't want people to fill swimming pools, sprinkle lawns etc
BONUS QUESTIONS

Do you like to swim?
Haven't been though in awhile
Can you swim underwater?

Have you ever snorkeled?

We moved around so much! My Dad was in the Military.
In Connecticut we lived near the Ocean/lakes

In Miami we lived near the beach(My dad was in the Coast Guard then)...then when we moved back to Kentucky the Apartment complex we lived at until we got our home had a
swimming pool.

Then they bought a house and we lived up the street from a really large lake.

In my late teens There was a pool at the High School up the street that was open to the public, we had a pool in the backyard too.

Old 04-19-2022, 05:26 AM

11,085 posts, read 17,705,520 times
PJSaturn, the question about swimming nekkid reminds me of a good one I heard a long time ago.
"Naked" means you don't have any clothes on.
"Nekkid" means you don't have any clothes on and you're up to something.

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Has your home ever been without water service for any period of time? Yup

If you've been without water service, what was the cause of the disruption? Dec. 10 tornado destroyed our water treatment plant. No water pressure for a few days until they got generators set up

Have you ever been under a boil water advisory? Yup

Have you ever had a broken water pipe inside your home? Nope.

If your home has a basement, has water ever leaked in or accumulated on the floor by any means? We're lucky. The houses on either side of us have to have a sump pump in the basement to keep the water out. We don't.

Has the area where you live ever had water rationing or restrictions because of a drought? Nope

BONUS QUESTIONS

Do you like to swim? Can't swim

Can you swim underwater? Nope

Have you ever snorkeled? Nope

Have you ever SCUBA dived? Nope

Have you ever swum nekkid? Yup!

Does your home/property have a swimming pool? Nope

When you were a kid, was there a community pool near your home? In my late teen years there was

Old 04-19-2022, 05:30 AM

126,540 posts, read 19,292,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Has your home ever been without water service for any period of time? Not that I recall

If you've been without water service, what was the cause of the disruption? see above

Have you ever been under a boil water advisory? No

Have you ever had a broken water pipe inside your home? No major burst

If your home has a basement, has water ever leaked in or accumulated on the floor by any means? Rain water seeped through a corner wall of the basement and we had to call someone to fix it from the inside

Has the area where you live ever had water rationing or restrictions because of a drought? Many years ago we were advised not to waste water by washing cars or filling pools.Only vegetables/flowers were allowed to be watered on certain days

BONUS QUESTIONS

Do you like to swim? Yes

Can you swim underwater? Yes with eyes open

Have you ever snorkeled? No

Have you ever SCUBA dived? No

Have you ever swum nekkid? Yes

Does your home/property have a swimming pool? No

When you were a kid, was there a community pool near your home? No we swam in the nearby lake

Thank you Pammy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics