Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 10:48 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,142,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I have some good buddies that are kids. They could be better behaved when with their parents...but around me they are angels. I don't tolerate misbehaving...and find it's caused mostly by lack of something to do. Take a youngster out fishing or hiking or camping. Teach them how to build a campfire or what berries to pick, climb a rock, take them ice fishing, take for a boat ride and teach them how to drive the boat. The look on their faces alone is worth it. Most kids just need to be occupied. Laying around playing video games or watching movies don't work. They need hands on experiences. You ever see the look on a childs face when they see their first brown bear or land their first fish? It's priceless. I guess I'm just a big kid at heart...I get along great with them and they get along with me. I used to be the koolaid Dad. Every kid on the block came to my house for bike repairs or some other help. They just need some attention now and then. And praise. You'd be surprised how far a little praise goes with a child. Kids...I like em.
Me too, Rance. I've never lost my memory of what it's like to be a kid so I always empathize with the little muffins. When I was a kid it was adults like you who helped turn me from a "wild little savage" into a civilized little girl, with your kindness, patience, understanding and yes, praise. You're doing a good thing...

Last edited by laysayfair; 05-16-2008 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-16-2008, 11:48 AM

14 posts, read 47,691 times
I like children, but not easy to be around the children in these generations. Majority are spoiled and most parents don't like putting in the effort to give them good character. A bad child is a reflection of the parents upbringing.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:03 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,181,348 times
I know, adults probably did not like me neither

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
remember you were a child once too...

Old 05-16-2008, 12:04 PM

18,008 posts, read 27,453,889 times
Children are like cops and snakes for me. I don't dislike them or anything; I just feel better when they're not around.

If they're anything like I was, forget about it! I have no idea how I survived my childhood.

I've seen children that are total brats at times, then a year or two later, they are totally cool and this is regardless of the parenting.

People say that I tend to gain the positive attention of animals and children. Kids tend to like Uncle McGowdog; but I think that's only because I try to stay out of their way and I'm pretty straight-forward and honest with them. I don't try to talk baby-talk to them and I'm not so good at getting down on the floor and playing kids games. Around children, I'm a guy of few words and when I do talk to them, they seem to pay attention. When I'm not around, I hear they ask, "Where's Uncle McGowdog"?

I know some friends who have a son who's about 7 now. He's been the perfect, most well-behaved and happy kid since birth! I can't figure him out. He's the most David Archuleta type kid I've ever seen. In part, I credit the parents. In part, I credit LUCK!

Old 05-16-2008, 12:05 PM

LOL......I'll bet they're pretty good kids.....

[quote=thefer;3777930]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon;thought that came to my mind was- [I
" I don't like children

CR look at post a pic thread at my two little darlings!
You can see the devil jumping in their eyes!
The little one is a hoot!

How can you help but love that!!
I heard a preacher on the radio say the perfect way to raise kids is--
put them in a barrel and feed them through the hole when they turn 12.
When they turn 18 plug the hole. lol
Wish I had known when mine was growing up!! lol

Old 05-16-2008, 12:07 PM

LOL.........Oh no I won't get mine! I'm not having any!!

Quote:
all of you that are saying you dont like kids, or you will not stand being around rude children etc--you will get yours. trust me on this one. you will have your own child some day and he/she will act in a manner that you always said they wouldnt. i know this because i had visions of what a child should be and then lo and behold he was born with his own personality, and mind, and agenda--lol
and you will love your own child even if you hate anyone else's...

Old 05-16-2008, 12:14 PM

RD, children actually always "think" I'm their friend. It's weird,they follow me around like I'm a Disney Land cartoon character.<shrugs>

Children can tell if you care for them or not. I certainly WOULD NOT mistreat nor harm children, I just don't want any living in my house eating up all of my food and running up the electric and water bill..........like I did in my parents house.

I don't like children from the perspective of having to "raise" them and the idea of "taking care" of another human is not exciting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Do you find children like you? Generally, the dislike is often mutual. Kids sense grownups who don't care for them.

Curious, more than anything else.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:17 PM

Great post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osopaths View Post
I like children, but not easy to be around the children in these generations. Majority are spoiled and most parents don't like putting in the effort to give them good character. A bad child is a reflection of the parents upbringing.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:20 PM

Uncle, you nailed it right on the money. The same for me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
but I think that's only because I try to stay out of their way and I'm pretty straight-forward and honest with them. I don't try to talk baby-talk to them and I'm not so good at getting down on the floor and playing kids games. Around children, I'm a guy of few words and when I do talk to them, they seem to pay attention. When I'm not around, I hear they ask, "Where's Uncle McGowdog"?

Old 05-16-2008, 12:50 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,594,883 times
Quote:
all of you that are saying you dont like kids, or you will not stand being around rude children etc--you will get yours. trust me on this one. you will have your own child some day and he/she will act in a manner that you always said they wouldnt. i know this because i had visions of what a child should be and then lo and behold he was born with his own personality, and mind, and agenda--lol
and you will love your own child even if you hate anyone else's...
No, I wont' be getting mine....don't have 'em, don't want 'em. I don't hate kids. I just don't like to be around them. Most parents think their kids are the smartest, cutest best kids in the world....and everyone else's kids are the hellions. Parents need to take time to parent/guide their children. If they don't have time to raise them, they shouldn't have them. I have nieces, nephews, great nieces and a great nephew. I can only tolerate being aroung them for so long. After about 24 hours, I'm done....and this is when they're well behaved little angels. Once they become adults, I can relate to them better. But as children, I just stay away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics