Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 10:41 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,383,291 times

Advertisements

Happy Monday May 17, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
What is something (whether a sound or other stimuli) that wakes you up
earlier in the morning than you had wanted/intended to get up ?
What is something that has kept you awake later at night than you wanted/intended to stay up ?

Extra Credit:
When it’s a comfortable temperature outdoors at night, do you sleep with the windows open ?

Bonus:
When you have some kind of work/project/task that you need to focus on, does listening to music (assuming it’s music of your choosing) help you concentrate, make it easier-or does it distract you, make it more difficult to accomplish the task?

Just for Fun:
Can you think of a movie that had music in it (soundtrack) that you liked & found memorable-maybe even moreso than the film itself ?

Today in History:
1900: L. Frank Baum’s novel The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is first published (though not released to the public until months later)
1961: Birth of singer-songwriter & musician Enya Patricia Brennan ("Orinoco Flow")
1962: Birth of comedian, actor, and tv host Craig Ferguson (CBS’s The Late Late Show)
1965: Birth of singer-songwriter, musician, and composer Michael Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails)
1973: Televised hearings of the U.S. Senate committee on the Watergate scandal begin
1997: The country of Zaire renamed as the Democratic Republic of the Congo (also known as Congo-Kinshasa, to distinguish it from Republic of the Congo, aka Congo-Brazzaville)

Today’s Word:
placket /ˈplakət/ (n.): A slit in an item of clothing with extra layers of fabric that hold and reinforce its fasteners, such as zippers, snaps, or buttons.
For instance: the garment edges that have buttons and buttonholes, along the front opening or at the cuffs of a button-down shirt.

Today Is:
World Hypertension Day
Same Sex Marriage Day
Supply Chain Professional Day

-this week is-
National Transportation Week
National Medical Transcription Week

Today’s Picture:

Entrance & exit are at lower right-

Thought for the Day:
“I’m always aware of writing around things I can’t do, and I’ve come to think that that’s actually what ‘style’ is-an avoidance of your deficiencies.”
-George Saunders

Wishing all y’all a Monday where the noises you encounter aren’t too intrusive,
and a day/night during which you get a sufficient amount of sleep
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2021, 10:48 PM

44,661 posts, read 61,736,984 times
Today’s Question:
What is something (whether a sound or other stimuli) that wakes you up earlier in the morning than you had wanted/intended to get up ? Yard maintenance blowers in the neighborhood.
What is something that has kept you awake later at night than you wanted/intended to stay up ? Late night jet planes at the nearby Air Force Base coming in for mid-night landings.

Extra Credit:
When it’s a comfortable temperature outdoors at night, do you sleep with the windows open ? No.

Bonus:
When you have some kind of work/project/task that you need to focus on, does listening to music (assuming it’s music of your choosing) help you concentrate, make it easier-or does it distract you, make it more difficult to accomplish the task? Music on when feasible, helps make the time fly faster and is also entertaining.

Just for Fun:
Can you think of a movie that had music in it (soundtrack) that you liked & found memorable-maybe even more so than the film itself ? Oklahoma.

Old 05-17-2021, 01:25 AM

21,580 posts, read 8,755,725 times
Today’s Question:
What is something (whether a sound or other stimuli) that wakes you up earlier in the morning than you had wanted/intended to get up?
The trash collectors right underneath my bedroom window every Thursday morning.

What is something that has kept you awake later at night than you wanted/intended to stay up?
Obsessing about every wrong thing I've ever done in my life, even if I'm the only one alive who still remembers it.

Extra Credit:
When it’s a comfortable temperature outdoors at night, do you sleep with the windows open?
No, because (a) the bedroom is right on the street (there's no front yard to speak of), so there would be traffic noise; and (b) it's almost always too chilly here at night to leave windows open, even in the summer).
Bonus:
When you have some kind of work/project/task that you need to focus on, does listening to music (assuming it’s music of your choosing) help you concentrate, make it easier-or does it distract you, make it more difficult to accomplish the task?
It depends on the music. Classical music is great for getting housework done.
Just for Fun:
Can you think of a movie that had music in it (soundtrack) that you liked & found memorable-maybe even more so than the film itself?
Out of Africa

Thanks, cloven!

Old 05-17-2021, 02:20 AM

11,389 posts, read 9,309,198 times
Today’s Question:
What is something (whether a sound or other stimuli) that wakes you up earlier in the morning than you had wanted/intended to get up ?
What is something that has kept you awake later at night than you wanted/intended to stay up ?
- The answer to both of these was a current neighbor's bathroom ceiling fan. She kept it on for hours and hours and as time went by it got worse. Since she is a very inconsiderate person and refused my simple request, I had to get more insistent with the landlords that something had to be done until it was...

Extra Credit:
When it’s a comfortable temperature outdoors at night, do you sleep with the windows open ? - Closed.
I feel the neighborhood I live in is safe but crime is not too far away, unfortunately...

A side note to that is this area has heavy security 24 / 7 due to a prodigious / very famous college near by...

Bonus:
When you have some kind of work/project/task that you need to focus on, does listening to music (assuming it’s music of your choosing) help you concentrate, make it easier-or does it distract you, make it more difficult to accomplish the task? - Just depends...

Just for Fun:
Can you think of a movie that had music in it (soundtrack) that you liked & found memorable-maybe even moreso than the film itself ?
- Because I had a steady girlfriend at the time I remember seeing 1980s movies The Breakfast Club and Pretty In Pink with her and liking the soundtracks. There are probably others that I haven't seen but I was never much of a movie buff.

Thanks, cloven!

Old 05-17-2021, 03:17 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,404,842 times
Good Morning, another a"mazing" day!

Today’s Question:
What is something (whether a sound or other stimuli) that wakes you up earlier in the morning than you had wanted/intended to get up ?
What is something that has kept you awake later at night than you wanted/intended to stay up ? Having my brain keep thinking about something that is concerning.

Extra Credit:
When it’s a comfortable temperature outdoors at night, do you sleep with the windows open ? Yes!

Bonus:
When you have some kind of work/project/task that you need to focus on, does listening to music (assuming it’s music of your choosing) help you concentrate, make it easier-or does it distract you, make it more difficult to accomplish the task? I need quiet to work on a project.

Just for Fun:
Many. My VERY, VERY favorite collection of soundtracks is "Cinema Serenade". Absolutely beautiful music. The collection is a masterpiece.
https://youtu.be/lY6Ty5lci6E

Today Is:
World Hypertension Day
Same Sex Marriage Day
-this week is-

Today’s Picture:

Very nice!

Wishing you an a"mazing" day!

Old 05-17-2021, 05:16 AM

50,412 posts, read 64,161,814 times

Today’s Question:

What is something (whether a sound or other stimuli) that wakes you up earlier in the morning than you had wanted/intended to get up ? Military jets went over at 4:30 this morning. On a normal day, the first plane takes off at 5:40.

What is something that has kept you awake later at night than you wanted/intended to stay up ? Starting a movie after 8:00.

Extra Credit:
When it’s a comfortable temperature outdoors at night, do you sleep with the windows open ? Yes.

Bonus:
When you have some kind of work/project/task that you need to focus on, does listening to music (assuming it’s music of your choosing) help you concentrate, make it easier-or does it distract you, make it more difficult to accomplish the task? If it’s soft in the background, I like it.

Just for Fun:
Can you think of a movie that had music in it (soundtrack) that you liked & found memorable-maybe even moreso than the film itself ? I’m sure there are many, but Flashdance, Top Gun and Dirty Dancing, come to mind.

Old 05-17-2021, 05:20 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,935,097 times
Good morning to all! Here we go... another Monday.

Today’s Question:
The dogs needing to go outside.

Getting caught up in a TV show while getting ready for bed.

Extra Credit:
When it’s a comfortable temperature outdoors at night, do you sleep with the windows open ?
No, the wife keeps our windows closed all the time.

Bonus:
Sometimes it will help move me along.

Just for Fun:
Saturday Night Fever. Loved the soundtrack. The movie was ok.

Have a terrific day, everyone!

Old 05-17-2021, 05:29 AM

126,320 posts, read 19,105,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post

Today’s Question:
earlier in the morning than you had wanted/intended to get up ? I love the birds singing their early morning song as well the rooster in the distance
What is something that has kept you awake later at night than you wanted/intended to stay up ? At times an upcoming trip in the night or early morning,snoring from the significant other

Extra Credit:
When it’s a comfortable temperature outdoors at night, do you sleep with the windows open ? I usually sleep with open windows from late spring until late autumn and in winter I open it enough to get fresh air

Bonus:
When you have some kind of work/project/task that you need to focus on, does listening to music (assuming it’s music of your choosing) help you concentrate, make it easier-or does it distract you, make it more difficult to accomplish the task? Outdoor chores are done without music,indoor chores I usually put some music on

Just for Fun:
Can you think of a movie that had music in it (soundtrack) that you liked & found memorable-maybe even moreso than the film itself ? I like the “Star Wars” composed by John Williams

Today in History:
1900: L. Frank Baum’s novel The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is first published (though not released to the public until months later)
1961: Birth of singer-songwriter & musician Enya Patricia Brennan ("Orinoco Flow")
1962: Birth of comedian, actor, and tv host Craig Ferguson (CBS’s The Late Late Show)
1965: Birth of singer-songwriter, musician, and composer Michael Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails)
1973: Televised hearings of the U.S. Senate committee on the Watergate scandal begin
1997: The country of Zaire renamed as the Democratic Republic of the Congo (also known as Congo-Kinshasa, to distinguish it from Republic of the Congo, aka Congo-Brazzaville)

Today’s Word:
placket /ˈplakət/ (n.): A slit in an item of clothing with extra layers of fabric that hold and reinforce its fasteners, such as zippers, snaps, or buttons.
For instance: the garment edges that have buttons and buttonholes, along the front opening or at the cuffs of a button-down shirt.

Today Is:
World Hypertension Day
Same Sex Marriage Day

-this week is-

Today’s Picture:

Thought for the Day:
“I’m always aware of writing around things I can’t do, and I’ve come to think that that’s actually what ‘style’ is-an avoidance of your deficiencies.”
-George Saunders

THANK YOU cloven and by the way great maze designs!

Old 05-17-2021, 06:11 AM

7,384 posts, read 5,498,327 times
U]Today’s Question:[/u]
What is something (whether a sound or other stimuli) that wakes you up earlier in the morning than you had wanted/intended to get up ? Husband snoring or his alarm going off. Birds singing/squawking.
What is something that has kept you awake later at night than you wanted/intended to stay up ? I have insomnia so I’m awake at night because of that.

Extra Credit:
When it’s a comfortable temperature outdoors at night, do you sleep with the windows open ? No

Bonus:
When you have some kind of work/project/task that you need to focus on, does listening to music (assuming it’s music of your choosing) help you concentrate, make it easier-or does it distract you, make it more difficult to accomplish the task? No

Just for Fun:
Can you think of a movie that had music in it (soundtrack) that you liked & found memorable-maybe even moreso than the film itself ? The Sound of Music.

Old 05-17-2021, 06:19 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,231,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post

Today’s Question:
earlier in the morning than you had wanted/intended to get up ? A cat that wants to cuddle
What is something that has kept you awake later at night than you wanted/intended to stay up ? See above answer

Extra Credit:
Yes
Bonus:
I usually don't listen to music, but when I do I can focus just fine

Just for Fun:
Jesus Christ Superstar

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
World Hypertension Day
Same Sex Marriage Day

-this week is-

Today’s Picture:

Thought for the Day:
-George Saunders

Have a great day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics