Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 05:06 AM

2,121 posts, read 3,039,605 times

Advertisements

My mother gave me her name. First and middle. I never wanted to change it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 06:19 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,404,061 times
Quite content with my name(s), only aggravation is that I have two middle names...which I'm fine with, but creates bureaucratic issues
bc most paperwork doesn't allow me to enter my full name, and I dislike having to only use one of the two initials (it feels imbalanced & is technically inaccurate).

Anyway, if you see my signature written on the mazes I draw (posted in Monday Qs threads), that's why there are 4 initials

Old 06-28-2020, 07:55 PM

48,348 posts, read 22,089,925 times
my first name was the last name of benefactors of my great grandparents and sponsored their children's education. My grandfather named his first son with their family name (I have never met anyone else with this name...other than my uncle and myself and my son has it for his middle name.

My middle name was for a gentleman who helped my parents when they were just getting started .... after Dad got out of seminary. My mother said he had been so kind to them that she wanted to honor him by giving me his name for my middle name. she hoped I would be so kind. I went back to that town and located him and spent an afternoon with him and he shared stories with me. I am glad that I did that as he passed on that same year.

\

Old 06-28-2020, 09:41 PM

33,049 posts, read 36,676,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
I really dislike my name. I always have. In second grade I begged my mom to let me use my middle name and she wouldn’t. I’m resigned to being stuck with it. Everyone else seems to think my name is fine.
My mother gave me a name that wasn't common in the states, and not extremely popular in her country at the time. Kids at school made fun of me. No one used that name. Even she didn't.

Old 07-01-2020, 01:50 PM

29,259 posts, read 16,892,955 times
I like my first name OK, mom gave it to me, she also gave me her name for my middle name which I love and I suggested it for my first grandgirl and that's her name, now I love my last name. And took it back after divorce... What's in a name can have a big influence in our lives, I believe this.

Old 07-03-2020, 12:44 AM

7,997 posts, read 5,432,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

Take Frederick! Now wouldn't you think the person would appreciate being call simply Fred or Freddy?
No, not at all.If they introduced themselves as Frederick, then I assume that is what they would like to be addressed as.

I have a friend named Frederick, never entered my mine to call him anything else.

Old 07-03-2020, 12:48 AM

7,997 posts, read 5,432,215 times
Not fond of my middle name. First name--I like it, it is not super common but it is known. My mother named me the shortest version, I would have preferred the longer version.

Last name--maiden and married are the same ethnicity. Good ethnic names. I like it that way. I am the only one in the World, easier that way. It doesn't bother me if it is mispronounced. It does bother me if it is misspelled. I feel like it one has to type it or write it down, they can take the effort to recheck to be sure they copied it correctly.

Old 07-06-2020, 01:55 PM

9,546 posts, read 16,612,164 times
I have always liked my name. It's a nice Irish name
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics