Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 03:42 AM

23,473 posts, read 29,392,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I'm quite happy with my name, in its full form. Too many people who don't know me well try to use a shortened form of my name, and I don't get that. If I introduce myself to you using my full first name, why would you assume it's ok to address me by a shortened form?
Some people can get pretty testy and angry when you use a nickname for their name or contrarily, use their full name rather than their nickname.

I've been startled sometimes when someone says: Don't you ever call me that name!

Take Frederick! Now wouldn't you think the person would appreciate being call simply Fred or Freddy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 06:40 AM
Status: "Civility needs to make a return." (set 5 days ago)

4,733 posts, read 3,303,581 times
I really dislike my name. I always have. In second grade I begged my mom to let me use my middle name and she wouldn’t. I’m resigned to being stuck with it. Everyone else seems to think my name is fine.

Old 06-20-2020, 10:45 AM

24,683 posts, read 26,256,936 times
I'm good with my name.
1st name can be pronounced 3 ways and I have no problem with that.
Last name was changed when I was 5, I like both names, Hispanics have a problem pronouncing my last name because of the ll.

Old 06-20-2020, 11:21 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,882,870 times
I hated my name growing up. I was the only person in school with that name until I found just one other in high school. I always thought of it as an old lady name. I wanted a cool name like Ashley.

I understand why my mother named me after her mother who died at 29 from either cervical cancer or uterine cancer. It's sad that I not only got her name, but her genes and she is why I just had a hysterectomy. I wish I knew more about her. I know nothing, and I don't think I even have a picture of her. She haunted me through out my childhood with her name, and now she haunts me again with her bad genes. I guess it could have been worse. I could have been named Agnes after my father's mother. Kill me now. Mine was bad enough growing up, but I would have legally changed my name had it been Agnes.

Old 06-20-2020, 06:39 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,963,141 times
Hey now, Agnes is a fine name. It's not my name, but it's in my family.

Old 06-21-2020, 02:24 AM

23,473 posts, read 29,392,109 times
When the actress Julia Roberts converted to Hinduism, she renamed her children: Laxmi, Ganesh, and Krishna Balram.

Anyone like to have either of those 3 names?

Old 06-21-2020, 02:48 AM

62,519 posts, read 88,597,252 times
I love my first, middle and last name. My last name is very old.
My parent did a great job selecting first name for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
When the actress Julia Roberts converted to Hinduism, she renamed her children: Laxmi, Ganesh, and Krishna Balram.

Anyone like to have either of those 3 names?
Why would I want some strange Hindi name that don't match my culture and heritage??
It would sound odd and inappropriate, especially paired with my last name.

Old 06-21-2020, 01:20 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,882,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
Hey now, Agnes is a fine name. It's not my name, but it's in my family.
It's unusual to find that name today. I remember my grandmother talking about how much she didn't like her name. Honestly, I would never name my child Agnes. No offense. It's definitely not in my top ten of cool names, but neither is my name.

Old 06-21-2020, 02:32 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,963,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
It's unusual to find that name today. I remember my grandmother talking about how much she didn't like her name. Honestly, I would never name my child Agnes. No offense. It's definitely not in my top ten of cool names, but neither is my name.
I can relate, because I never liked my grandmother's name which was Helen. Just something about it.

Like I already mentioned in a previous post, I love my name! It's very French, like my father and those before him. He named me well.

Last edited by geebabe; 06-21-2020 at 02:42 PM..

Old 06-22-2020, 12:46 AM

21,729 posts, read 8,867,054 times
I am unhappy with all my names. Listed in order from slightly disliking it to disliking it a lot:

1. My first name. It is one of those old-fashioned girls' names, but not one that has become trendy again. It's an old lady name. It reached its peak of popularity around the turn of the 20th century and has been going downhill ever since. But I was named for my aunt, a wonderful lady whom I loved dearly, so I don't mind it.

2. My middle name, which was also my father's first name. I just don't care for it. It is more associated with good old boys or cowgirls and doesn't suit me at all.

3. My nickname. My mother started calling me that as a baby to avoid confusion with my aunt and because she thought it was cute. A baby-naming website where I looked my nickname up said of it, "Please don't name your daughter that." Seriously, I'm not joking.

4. My last name. It is unusual and ends with a vowel, though it was derived from German. I sometimes get robocalls or junk mail written in Spanish, which I don't speak. I always have to spell it out and tell people how to pronounce it. I wish I had a more common name, like Smith or Jones.

If I could pick my own name, it would be Elizabeth because that was my mother's name, and there have been many Elizabeths in our family tree going back to the 17th century. For a middle name, I'd pick Rose in honor of my husband's favorite aunt. Any last name that's not weird or hard to spell or pronounce - and sounds good with Elizabeth - would be better than what I have.

Last edited by Bayarea4; 06-22-2020 at 12:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics