Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2020, 01:37 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,405,809 times

Advertisements

Good Morning

Today's random questions:

What is the best thing or a couple of things you like about living where you live? Quiet, quaint Historic Town. We are a small incorporated Town, so not only do we pay Federal, State, County taxes--we pay Town taxes. I don't mind, we get a lot of bang for our money. Our own police department, quick snow plowing, trash pick up, bulk pick up, etc.

Something you don't like about it? People move here from the County and want all the amenities that they just moved from. If you want all the stores, swimming pools, etc--go back to the County.

What has winter been like in your area? Weird! One day in the 60's, the next day mid 20's.

Foodie:

What was one of the last sweet treats you had that you really enjoyed? A mini cupcake

On the radio...

When was the last time you listened to AM radio? Forever ago

How about FM radio? I tried listening to it last week---I don't think car antennas are like they used to be. Hard to keep a clear signal. I get the same when I travel and use rental cars, so I don't think it is just my car.

Do you listen to satellite radio? I used to have it with my previous car. I gave it up when I got my new car two years ago.

If so for any of the above what programming / genre do you listen to the most? I am a podcast junkie. Variety.

Time has slipped quickly---got to run off. Have a wonderful day!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2020, 02:43 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,284,414 times
Hello and welcome to the Wednesday edition of Questions Of The Day.

Sorry for any repeats, no time to look up. I'm doing my best to hang in there.
This spot is still open for any regular or semi-regular who wants it. Please send DM if interested.

What is the best thing or a couple of things you like about living where you live? ................The best thing is the peacefulness!

Something you don't like about it? .............There’s not much variety with anything from entertainment to the necessities of life.

What has winter been like in your area? ..............Wet

Foodie:

What was one of the last sweet treats you had that you really enjoyed? ...............I had some ice cream on Sunday.

On the radio...............I currently have satellite radio and am enjoying it.

When was the last time you listened to AM radio?.............I don’t listen to AM radio.

How about FM radio? .............Sunday

Do you listen to satellite radio? ................Weekly

If so for any of the above what programming / genre do you listen to the most? .................Top 40 hits and 70s. Some of my favorites are Classic Rewind, The Pulse and The Blend.

On this day:

1863 - U.S. President Lincoln signed the National Currency Act.

1919 - Oregon introduces the first state tax on gasoline at one cent per gallon, to be used for road construction.

1933 - A ground-breaking ceremony was held at Crissy Field for the Golden Gate Bridge.

1955 - Billboard reported that the 45rpm single format was outselling the 78s for the first time.

1993 - Six people were killed and more than a thousand injured when a van exploded in the parking garage beneath the World Trade Center in New York City. The bomb had been built by Islamic extremists.

1998 - A Texas jury rejected an $11 million lawsuit by Texas cattlemen who blamed Oprah Winfrey for price drop after on-air comment about mad-cow disease.

2012 - Trayvon Martin, an African American teen walking home from a trip to a convenience store, is fatally shot by George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer patrolling the townhouse community of the Retreat at Twin Lakes in Sanford, Florida.

Birthdays / born on this day:

1916 - Jackie Gleason - Comedian, actor, writer, composer, and conductor.

1928 - Fats Domino - Singer / songwriter / musician

1932 - Johnny Cash - Singer / songwriter / musician / actor

1943 - Robert Ernest Hite - Singer / musician / songwriter for Canned Heat

1945 - Mitch Ryder (born William Sherille Levise, Jr.) - Singer / musician / songwriter. Most famous band was the Detroit Wheels.

1953 - Lucinda Williams - Singer / songwriter / musician

1953 - Michael Bolton (born Michael Bolotin) - Singer / musician / songwriter

1958 - Ellen DeGeneres - Talk show host, comedian

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Old 02-26-2020, 05:04 AM

126,325 posts, read 19,108,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post

This spot is still open for any regular or semi-regular who wants it. Please send DM if interested.

What is the best thing or a couple of things you like about living where you live? I like the peace,small community and clean fresh country air

Something you don't like about it? Cannot think of anything

What has winter been like in your area? Much milder although we had a few snowstorms including todays and overnight one.We are expecting up to 35 cm.

Foodie:

What was one of the last sweet treats you had that you really enjoyed? I baked yesterday an orange almond cake and enjoyed a slice fresh out of the oven

On the radio...

When was the last time you listened to AM radio? I don't remember when

How about FM radio? every day

Do you listen to satellite radio? I listen to music stations from certain cities in Germany and Austria

If so for any of the above what programming / genre do you listen to the most? Classical,Country and folk music

On this day:

1919 - Oregon introduces the first state tax on gasoline at one cent per gallon, to be used for road construction.

1933 - A ground-breaking ceremony was held at Crissy Field for the Golden Gate Bridge.

1955 - Billboard reported that the 45rpm single format was outselling the 78s for the first time.

1993 - Six people were killed and more than a thousand injured when a van exploded in the parking garage beneath the World Trade Center in New York City. The bomb had been built by Islamic extremists.

1998 - A Texas jury rejected an $11 million lawsuit by Texas cattlemen who blamed Oprah Winfrey for price drop after on-air comment about mad-cow disease.

2012 - Trayvon Martin, an African American teen walking home from a trip to a convenience store, is fatally shot by George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer patrolling the townhouse community of the Retreat at Twin Lakes in Sanford, Florida.

1945 - Mitch Ryder (born William Sherille Levise, Jr.) - Singer / musician / songwriter. Most famous band was the Detroit Wheels.

THANK YOU John

Old 02-26-2020, 06:21 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,734,288 times

What is the best thing or a couple of things you like about living where you live? Many beautiful state parks nearby.

Something you don't like about it? Rainy winter weather.

What has winter been like in your area? Did I say it rained a lot???

Foodie:

What was one of the last sweet treats you had that you really enjoyed? Death By Chocolate Ice Cream...

On the radio...
When was the last time you listened to AM radio? The auto delete function has removed that from my memory bank.

How about FM radio? The auto delete function has removed that from my memory bank.

Do you listen to satellite radio? No

If so for any of the above what programming / genre do you listen to the most? N/A

On this day:

Old 02-26-2020, 06:28 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,687 posts, read 81,473,200 times

What is the best thing or a couple of things you like about living where you live? Old growth trees, very little crime, great schools, mountain, valley and water views.

Something you don't like about it? At 600' elevation we get snow when others in the area don't, and it's all down hill to to anywhere.

What has winter been like in your area? Not too bad, actually more sun and dry days than usual, and only one "snow event" so far.

Foodie:

What was one of the last sweet treats you had that you really enjoyed? Strawberry It's-It

On the radio...

When was the last time you listened to AM radio? Just now on the way to work (sports radio)

How about FM radio? Right now, via my computer

Do you listen to satellite radio? Yesterday in the truck on the way home from work

If so for any of the above what programming / genre do you listen to the most? classic rock

Old 02-26-2020, 07:17 AM

33,337 posts, read 26,558,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post

What is the best thing or a couple of things you like about living where you live? The desert and the mountains.

Something you don't like about it? Too much traffic and light pollution in the city.

What has winter been like in your area? Pretty mild this year.

Foodie:

What was one of the last sweet treats you had that you really enjoyed? Chocolate donuts.

On the radio...

When was the last time you listened to AM radio? It's been many years since I last listened to a radio.

How about FM radio? Same as above.

If so for any of the above what programming / genre do you listen to the most? NA

On this day:

Thanks John.

Old 02-26-2020, 07:35 AM

7,385 posts, read 5,499,296 times

What is the best thing or a couple of things you like about living where you live? Small town. No traffic. Hardly any crime. Low cost of living.

Something you don't like about it? Far away from big cities. Not much to do here socially.

What has winter been like in your area? Not too bad so far. Last year was worse.

Foodie:

What was one of the last sweet treats you had that you really enjoyed? Red licorice last night while watching TV.

On the radio...

When was the last time you listened to AM radio? A couple days ago

How about FM radio? A couple days ago.

If so for any of the above what programming / genre do you listen to the most?

Old 02-26-2020, 08:24 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,872,883 times

What is the best thing or a couple of things you like about living where you live? ** Peaceful, wide open spaces, scenery.

Something you don't like about it? * Lack of cultural diversity

What has winter been like in your area? * Mild, more rain/ice than snow so far.

Foodie:

What was one of the last sweet treats you had that you really enjoyed? * That would be the cheesecake I had a friend's house almost two weeks ago.

On the radio...

When was the last time you listened to AM radio? * Oh, it's been a long time.

How about FM radio? * I listen to VPR/NPR almost every time I'm in the car.

Do you listen to satellite radio? * I have a SiriusXM subscription, so yes.

If so for any of the above what programming / genre do you listen to the most? * Usually to Jazz and Blues stations on Sirius; Through VPR I like talk shows: "Wait, Wait"... "The Moth Radio Hour", "All Things Considered"..... BBC news, Classical Music.

1916 - Jackie Gleason - Comedian, actor, writer, composer, and conductor. * I didn't know he was a composer & conductor! https://youtu.be/vfboR_Au4JM

1928 - Fats Domino - Singer / songwriter / musician ** https://youtu.be/Fy5WM1xYbGo

1932 - Johnny Cash - Singer / songwriter / musician / actor. ** https://youtu.be/aDSN1F72QU4

1943 - Robert Ernest Hite - Singer / musician / songwriter for Canned Heat. ** https://youtu.be/2YkDH2s5eW0 and https://youtu.be/ZHFz4TwhzqA

1945 - Mitch Ryder (born William Sherille Levise, Jr.) - Singer / musician / songwriter. Most famous band was the Detroit Wheels. ** https://youtu.be/XMPDA7L2lCc

1953 - Lucinda Williams - Singer / songwriter / musician ** https://youtu.be/lwyVmFNcMc0

1953 - Michael Bolton (born Michael Bolotin) - Singer / musician / songwriter ** https://youtu.be/MUuNDb-nm5M

Have a wonderful Wednesday! ** Thanks, John!

Old 02-26-2020, 08:39 AM

4,043 posts, read 2,913,983 times
What is the best thing or a couple of things you like about living where you live? === Winter, spring, fall.

Something you don't like about it? === July and August.

What has winter been like in your area? === Pretty darned perfect!

What was one of the last sweet treats you had that you really enjoyed? === A banana nut muffin.

When was the last time you listened to AM radio? === 620 AM in Milwaukee when I visited in November.

How about FM radio? === KNPR is on right now.

Do you listen to satellite radio? === I don't.

If so for any of the above what programming / genre do you listen to the most? === NPR.

Thanks for hanging in there John!

Old 02-26-2020, 08:48 AM

44,388 posts, read 20,111,153 times

What is the best thing or a couple of things you like about living where you live? I live in a lovely, thriving, small city. Our downtown is beautiful, with its lovely "Central Park Plaza" and amphitheater and across the street from that is a large pavilion which houses an ice skating rink in the winter and a farmer's market and other activities in the summer. There are lots of great restaurants and little shops to explore, a small county museum. People are very friendly. It's like walking through a scene that Norman Rockwell would have painted. And I live in walking distance of downtown (about .7 mile), so I go there nearly every day.
Something you don't like about it? For about 10 years, they've been in the process of replacing damaged sidewalks in the old neighborhoods. But there seems to be no rhyme nor reason for the order in which they do the replacements. I walk a LOT, and some of the sidewalks are in terrible condition, while others (such as the one in front of my house) were not that bad and have already been replaced.

What has winter been like in your area? It's been very mild this season, with little snow. We got about 1" of snow yesterday afternoon and it's snowing a bit right now, but this is not much as all for a Chicagoland winter. It makes me wonder whether wintery weather is going to come during spring months, as it did last year. It snowed several times in April last year, which is way late in the season for snow here. I like snow, but I'm glad I no longer have to drive to work on slippery roads.

Foodie:

What was one of the last sweet treats you had that you really enjoyed? A piece of Godiva chocolate that my boyfriend gave me for Valentines Day.

On the radio...

When was the last time you listened to AM radio? Last Saturday. My boyfriend had it on in the car while we were on our way to meet up with friends.

How about FM radio? I have my FM radio on right now.

Do you listen to satellite radio? Yes. I have it in my car. I should cancel it, as I can't really justify having it, now that I don't spend 2 hours a day commuting to and from work. But I will really miss the commercial-free music once I no longer have it.

If so for any of the above what programming / genre do you listen to the most? On FM radio, I mostly listen to 97.1 FM out of Chicago - "The Drive." They play great classic rock. On Sirius XM, I listen to a few different classic rock stations and a couple of family-friendly comedy stations. I sometimes listen to classical music or light jazz. Oh, and I also listen to BBC World Service news station. I find their reporting to be a lot less biased than that which is generated here in the States.

Have a wonderful Wednesday! Thanks very much, John. Happy hump day, everybody!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-26-2020 at 09:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics