Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 10:33 AM

24,685 posts, read 26,266,318 times

Advertisements

Today’s Question:
Have you done any weeding of plants or potting of seeds lately ?
Nope, not me. I leave it up to Jesse the gardener to handle.

Do you own any garden tools, whether manual or mechanical-such as a trowel, hoe, rake, rototiller, or other ?
All of the above except the rototiller.

Do you have a greenhouse, an electric fence, or a hose & outdoor faucet ?
3 hoses and faucets.

Extra Credit:
How recently or long ago have you gotten a sunburn ? Was it mild, severe, or in-between ?
It's been awhile, I have had all 3 at 1 time or another.

Bonus:
Are the exteriors of your home's windows able to be cleaned-are they reversible (do they flip/rotate), or can they be reached from the ground outside ?
All windows can be cleaned from the ground outside.

Just for Fun:
Have you had an insect fly into (inside) your vehicle while you were driving ?
Yes

If so, did you have to pull over to get it out, or did it fly back out the window eventually ?
It flew out.

Have you ever had bird poo land on you ?
Yep, our pet cockatoo would nail me once in awhile.

Have you noticed the distinctive odor of manure while on a country road ?
Yep, used to drive thru our local dairyland on a daily basis. Phew.

Thanx Cloven, have a nice Memorial Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 10:45 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,964,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Today’s Question:

A BIG shout out to all active military and veterans now & past this Memorial Day.
wit-nit: I think you probably meant well, but Memorial Day is not for the living. Your wishes will be better suited for Veteran's Day on November 11th.

Quote:
Memorial Day or Decoration Day is a federal holiday in the United States for remembering the people who died while serving in the country's armed forces.
Quote:
Memorial Day is not to be confused with Veterans Day – Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving, whereas Veterans Day celebrates the service of all U.S. military veterans. It is also not to be confused with Armed Forces Day, a minor U.S. remembrance celebrated earlier in May, which specifically honors those currently serving in the U.S. military.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_Day

Last edited by geebabe; 05-28-2018 at 11:33 AM..

Old 05-28-2018, 03:54 PM

7,445 posts, read 5,549,646 times
Happy Monday May 28, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.[/i][b]

Today’s Question:
Have you done any weeding of plants or potting of seeds lately ? Not lately
Do you own any garden tools, whether manual or mechanical-such as a trowel, hoe, rake, rototiller, or other ? Yes, some garden tools.
Do you have a greenhouse, an electric fence, or a hose & outdoor faucet ? We have a hose with outdoor faucet.

Extra Credit:
How recently or long ago have you gotten a sunburn ? Was it mild, severe, or in-between ? Too many times to count and many severe, mild, and in between burns. I’m paying for them now!

Bonus:
Are the exteriors of your home's windows able to be cleaned-are they reversible (do they flip/rotate), or can they be reached from the ground outside ? They flip inside.

Just for Fun:
Have you had an insect fly into (inside) your vehicle while you were driving ? Yes
If so, did you have to pull over to get it out, or did it fly back out the window eventually ? It flew back out
Have you ever had bird poo land on you ? Yes
Have you noticed the distinctive odor of manure while on a country road ? Yes, I live in a rural area.

Old 05-28-2018, 04:05 PM

21,730 posts, read 8,871,215 times

Today’s Question:
No, just some watering.
Do you own any garden tools, whether manual or mechanical-such as a trowel, hoe, rake, rototiller, or other ?
Yes, we have some hand tools such as spades and clippers. We also have a weed whacker.
Only the hose and outdoor faucet.
Extra Credit:
How recently or long ago have you gotten a sunburn ? Was it mild, severe, or in-between ?
It's been so long, I really couldn't tell you. For many years I have been avoiding sun exposure, and when I do go out, I use sunscreen. But I do remember having sunburns as a kid and how soothing the cool sheets and pillows felt when I went to bed.
Bonus:
Are the exteriors of your home's windows able to be cleaned-are they reversible (do they flip/rotate), or can they be reached from the ground outside ?
The windows all have one fixed panel and one that is removable so you can reach outside to clean.

Just for Fun:
Yes, that has happened.
If so, did you have to pull over to get it out, or did it fly back out the window eventually ?
I opened a window and let it fly out.
Only on my car.
Yes, I notice that every time I visit relatives in Modesto, which is surrounded by farms and ranches.

Thought for the Day:
“People do not wish to appear foolish; to avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools.”
-Alice Walker
So true (unfortunately).

Thanks, cloven! The maze reminds me of those potholders we used to make from a kit.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:19 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,623,387 times
Happy Monday May 28, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.
Happy Monday cloven!
Evenin' all!

Today’s Question:
I have! I generally don't start this early but I guess I felt experimental, planting my first pineapples, and seeds I assumed were sterile but may not be! We'll see what happens. The pineapples already don't look very good.
We do. Mostly hand-tools, but a few with longer handles such as rakes, hoes, etc.
We have an outdoor faucet with a splitter so we can run one hose wherever we want, and I can keep one by my potting bench/bird feeder cleaning station.

Extra Credit:
Last week. Unbelievably mild, considering I was outside stripping the deck all day. Not that I'm complaining!

Bonus:
Our windows flip in so they can be cleaned from inside the house.

Just for Fun:
Oh sure.
I generally try to get them to fly out the window. I'm not allergic to any insects, and I'm not scared of them, so...
Yes. Gull poop! To be fair, I was feeding them and they swarmed me. One was bound to get me.
Yeah, buddy!

Today in History:
1892: Founding of environmental organization The Sierra Club by John Muir in San Francisco, CA.
1931: Birth of actress Carroll Baker (Giant)
1933: Birth of actor John Karlen (Cagney & Lacey)
1944: Birth of singer-songwriter Gladys Knight (Gladys Knight & the Pips)
1945: Birth of singer, songwriter, and musician John Fogerty (Creedence Clearwater Revival)
1947: Birth of cartoonist Lynn Johnston (For Better or For Worse)
2008: Nepal’s new parliament formally declares the country to be a secular republic, replacing the system of rule by hereditary monarch

Today’s Word:
turion /ˈt(y)o͝orēˌän,ˈt(y)o͝orēən/ (n.):
Botanical term for a bud or shoot, either underground (for example, asparagus) or underwater (aquatic plants during winter),
that is capable of growing into a complete plant (in contrast to growing directly from an attached main root stem).

Today Is:
Memorial Day, observed (U.S.)
Whooping Crane Day
Republic Day (Nepal)
-this week is-
National Tire Safety Week

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at lower left & upper right corners-
Different!

Thought for the Day:
“People do not wish to appear foolish; to avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools.” Too true.
-Alice Walker

Wishing all y’all a memorable Monday, whether or not it’s Memorial Day where you live.
Same to you cloven. Thanx for the maze and the Qs.
Everyone have a pleasant Monday. Or what's left of it.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:04 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,424,261 times
Today’s Question:
Not exactly, but sort of-
last week I helped unroll plastic sheeting across ground (over elevated boxed plant beds),
next day shoveled manure into bf's garden for an hour.
No.
No to all, except somewhere in basement (of apt. building) think there is connection for hose.

Extra Credit:
A few days ago, though it had been a decade or two since I'd had one at all (don't spend much time outdoors)-
and it was very slight, on back of my shoulders.

Bonus:
Kinda'...
they do flip over, but don't know how to engage the mechanism & worry about being unable to rotate them back into proper position.
Am unable to clean the outsides myself, as my apt. is on second floor.

Just for Fun:
N/A, though have been passenger when it's occurred.
The latter, usually.
Only once, when I was a kid-and I was visiting grandparents' summer cottage in the woods-
and yeah, was told it was considered "good luck" which I found bizarre.
Yup-throughout my childhood, growing up in midcoast Maine & traveling inland near active farms.
There was even an informal name given to a particular rural intersection, "cow(bleep) corner"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics