Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 09:11 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,431,646 times

Advertisements

Today’s theme is “surprise!”

Today's Question(s):
What experience have you had where you were pleasantly surprised by something you didn't hold out much hope for?
We were given to understand that our one grandchild would be our only. A few months later—surprise! We found out we were to have our second, and what a gift she is.

What experience have you had where you were not at all surprised by something? People I know tend to react in predictable ways, and that is as much detail as I am going to give.

Bonus Question(s):
If someone were to throw you a surprise party, would you be happy about it, or would you just go along with it? Something else? In general, I prefer to know.

Just for fun:
Have you ever been surprised by any of the following:
flowers?
balloons?
cake?
a much needed favor?
a re-payment for a personal loan?
found money?
other?

Synonyms:
for “surprise;” amaze, dazzle, dumbfound, unsettle shock, astound, astonish

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1980 Former Buggles members Geoff Downes and Trevor Horn replace Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman in Yes
Birthday: 1959 Mare Winningham, American actress
Science/Technology: 2013 The oldest water ever found is discovered in a Canadian mine; the water dates back 2.6 billion years. Wow!
Sports: 1997 Expos trailing San Francisco Giants by 9 runs comeback to win 14-13

Today Is: :
Honor Our LGBT Leaders Day
National Biographer’s Day
National Coquilles Saint Jacques Day
National Juice Slush Day
National Love A Tree Day
National Sea Monkey Day
National Piercing Day

Quote of the Day:
" I don't know whether it's a fear of standing up, but I really love sitting at the table and blabbing. I learn so much that way, and I think I get free that way, free from inhibition and fears.” ~ Mare Winningham ~
Some of the best family conversations happen after a meal, around the table, or later in the comfort of living room chairs.
Thanx for playing everyone.
Have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 09:53 AM

24,685 posts, read 26,266,318 times
Today's Question(s):
What experience have you had where you were pleasantly surprised by something you didn't hold out much hope for?
A home improvement job that started off terrible and ended up being spectacular.

What experience have you had where you were not at all surprised by something?

Bonus Question(s):
If someone were to throw you a surprise party, would you be happy about it, or would you just go along with it?
Go along with it.

Just for fun:
flowers?
balloons?
cake?
a much needed favor?
a re-payment for a personal loan?
found money?

Thanx PatsCats.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:17 AM

39,225 posts, read 23,219,289 times
I'm feeling lucky landing on my second-favorite slot!

Today's Question(s)
:
What experience have you had where you were pleasantly surprised by something you didn't hold out much hope for? Getting a good-sized amount of money from the state that I was owed.

What experience have you had where you were not at all surprised by something? Around here, it's the usual traffic congestion in the usual places at the usual times.

Bonus Question(s):
If someone were to throw you a surprise party, would you be happy about it, or would you just go along with it? Something else? I'd be a good sport and go along with it.

Just for fun:
flowers? No
balloons? Yes, a couple of times
cake? Yes
a much needed favor? Yes
a re-payment for a personal loan? Yes
found money? Yes
other?

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Old 05-16-2018, 01:45 PM

89,196 posts, read 85,980,213 times
Mornin' all! Good afternoon!

Welcome to Wednesday’s Questions.

Today’s theme is “surprise!”

Today's Question(s):

1. Finding love late in life after many years of being alone and giving up any expectation of it. 2. Easily finding a part-time job after retirement, then easily finding an even better job.

What experience have you had where you were not at all surprised by something? Ex-husband's behavior.

Bonus Question(s):
If someone were to throw you a surprise party, would you be happy about it, or would you just go along with it? Something else? I would go along with it, but I really wouldn't like a surprise party.

Just for fun:
flowers? Yes.
balloons? No, I don't think so.
cake? Yes.
a much needed favor? Yes.
a re-payment for a personal loan? No.
found money? Yes.
other? Yes.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:14 PM
bjh

60,510 posts, read 30,661,663 times
Today's Question(s):
Every day in human behavior.

Bonus Question(s):
If someone were to throw you a surprise party, would you be happy about it, or would you just go along with it? Something else?
I'd be happy. Let's party!

Just for fun:
flowers? Dudes don't get flowers.
balloons? Please don't release. They kill birds.
cake? Not surprised, but I like cake!
a much needed favor? Yes! And for others when possible.
a re-payment for a personal loan? Yep.
found money? All the time. Know how? Just glance down as you walk in public.
other?

Old 05-16-2018, 06:48 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,623,387 times
Evenin' all!

Today's Question(s):
Hubby and I went on a mini-getaway, and I wasn't really into it. Turns out it was just what I needed at that time.

The behavior of some of my bosses. Just when you think they've had an epiphany, they turn it into a quarterly bonus. For themselves.

Bonus Question(s):
If someone were to throw you a surprise party, would you be happy about it, or would you just go along with it? Something else?
I really hate surprises, so I'd grumble in silence and go along with it because my friends mean well. And they really do throw wicked parties!

Just for fun:
flowers?
balloons?
cake?
a much needed favor? My friends are good about that too.
a re-payment for a personal loan? and this too!
found money?
other?

Synonyms:
for “surprise;” amaze, dazzle, dumbfound, unsettle

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1980 Former Buggles members Geoff Downes and Trevor Horn replace Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman in Yes My very first Yes concert!
Birthday: 1959 Mare Winningham, American actress
Science/Technology: 2013 The oldest water ever found is discovered in a Canadian mine; the water dates back 2.6 billion years
Sports: 1997 Expos trailing San Francisco Giants by 9 runs comeback to win 14-13

Today Is: :
Honor Our LGBT Leaders Day
National Biographer’s Day
National Coquilles Saint Jacques Day
National Juice Slush Day
National Love A Tree Day
National Sea Monkey Day
National Piercing Day

Quote of the Day:
" I don't know whether it's a fear of standing up, but I really love sitting at the table and blabbing. I learn so much that way, and I think I get free that way, free from inhibition and fears.” ~ Mare Winningham ~

Thanx again for playing along everyone.
Enjoy the rest of the day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics