Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 12:10 PM

6,829 posts, read 3,250,717 times

Advertisements

I have been doing this for years: When I wash clothes, I always use regular bleach, or bleach for colors. I hate washed and dried, but still stinky clothes. Over the years I have, at times, put on clothes or used towels that didn't smell great. What is the point of washing things that smell worse than if you hadn't washed them? My wife thinks I'm weird. Am I the only one who does this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 12:21 PM

26,667 posts, read 28,893,430 times
Do we smell them or do clean clothes smell?

To me, clean clothes do not smell. I use a little bit of a non scented laundry product along with some borax. Clothes come out bright and clean and odorless. I also hang most things to dry if space allows because I think that gets them cleaner and less chance of having an odor than putting them in the dryer.

Rarely do I use chlorine bleach. It isn't good for clothes and you don't need it. If there's a stain, I may soak that part in a non chlorine bleach for a few hours and then wash it.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:25 PM

50,534 posts, read 64,519,554 times
I sniff certain things, like sheets. I want them to smell good or else it bothers me at night. I hate the smell of chlorine so I don’t want any residual odor.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:32 PM

6,829 posts, read 3,250,717 times
It's true the clothes don't need it. If they came out completely odor free, that would be great. In my experience, that is not the case. I personally love the smell of chlorine, so that isn't an issue for me. I just hate putting on a shirt and being enveloped in a somewhat rancid odor.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:39 PM

14,733 posts, read 15,233,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I have been doing this for years: When I wash clothes, I always use regular bleach, or bleach for colors. I hate washed and dried, but still stinky clothes. Over the years I have, at times, put on clothes or used towels that didn't smell great. What is the point of washing things that smell worse than if you hadn't washed them? My wife thinks I'm weird. Am I the only one who does this?
Very often you can put just washed, clean and fresh smelling wet laundry into the clothes drier and the load will come out of the drier smelling like crap. It means there's something wrong with the drier. Smell your drier and get it repaired and cleaned if it needs it. The driers in public Laundromats are the worst for getting a nasty rank "locker room" smell inside them and for transferring that smell to the laundry.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:13 PM

30,815 posts, read 16,433,979 times
try baking soda instead of bleach. It's better for the environment and will remove smells.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:25 PM

50,534 posts, read 64,519,554 times
I have an aversion to clothing that smells like fabric softener. If I pass someone in the grocery store that smells strongly of that, usually older people, I run away. When I delivered Meals On Wheels, many older people’s home’s reeked of laundry additives. I guess that’s better than some other things.

I have never, in 50 years of homemaking, bought fabric softener. I do use dryer sheets and scented detergent. I like a light, fresh scent, but not an overpowering, oppressive one.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:31 PM

62,297 posts, read 88,181,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Why are you clothes so smelly, that even washing them doesn't help? Maybe is not the clothes, but your washer/dryer needs a good cleaning?
You can use a nicely scented laundry detergent, or even help a bit with scent booster.
Here is a current thread about this topic with some great suggestions:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/shopp...l#post50001609

BTW: dryer sheets, as mentioned in a post above, will coat the fabric, and make it less absorbent. That would promote sweating and body odors...
They also make fabric more flammable. They may clog the screen of the lint filter and reduce air circulation. Good circulation is essential to getting clothes dried properly and helps prevent overheating which can lead to fires. Reduced air circulation also might affect the smell of dried clothes.
They are pretty evil to fabrics. Avoid them.

Last edited by elnina; 11-02-2017 at 04:42 PM..

Old 11-02-2017, 04:57 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,372,128 times
I use vinegar in place of bleach. You don't smell the vinegar after going through the cycles and it removes any lingering mildewy smell.

I agree, your washer needs a good cleaning and airing out. Don't close the lid or door on the washer. Let it dry out completely after using a cleaner in it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...lean/93252222/

Old 11-02-2017, 09:42 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,987,165 times
Baking soda helps a lot. However the new automatic washing machines use less water – that’s the problem. You can’t expect clean smelling items that use very little water. Mrs Aks will “add” another gallon or so of fresh water “after” the automatic washer has filled the tub giving the wash a little more water helps this issue. The manufacturer of the washer says it’s programed and can’t be changed, thus adding it after the fill will work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics