Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 10:08 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,694,009 times

Advertisements

I love smelling my clothes especially as I'm taking them out of the dryer. In_newengland mentioned hanging the clothes outside to dry. I'd give anything if I could do that. This is the first house I've lived in where I couldn't build a clothes line (2 4x4s, 2 2x4s, and some line). We have a huge walnut tree in the back yard and don't want tree sap all over them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 06:21 PM

50,649 posts, read 64,731,921 times
A few things come to mind...one is that maybe it’s the fault of too much polyester, which stinks after one or two wearings, and if someone’s clothing stinks, it might be the fault of the wearers failure to bath often enough.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:40 PM

12,925 posts, read 892,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Baking soda helps a lot. However the new automatic washing machines use less water – that’s the problem. You can’t expect clean smelling items that use very little water. Mrs Aks will “add” another gallon or so of fresh water “after” the automatic washer has filled the tub giving the wash a little more water helps this issue. The manufacturer of the washer says it’s programed and can’t be changed, thus adding it after the fill will work.
Sorry, I'm not buying that. I have had several new front loading machines in the last 25 years (moved a lot and left the appliances with the houses we sold) and have never experienced what you're saying. Clothes don't need a ton of water to get cleaned; they need enough water. Maybe I bought better machines. The washers I purchase are designed to be efficient and they are.

Last edited by rainydayparis; 11-04-2017 at 08:55 PM..

Old 11-04-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
A few things come to mind...one is that maybe it’s the fault of too much polyester, which stinks after one or two wearings, and if someone’s clothing stinks, it might be the fault of the wearers failure to bath often enough.
Totally agree, which is why I only wear 100% cotton. Also, bedding and towels are all 100% cotton. Oh, my husband also likes his wool.

Last edited by rainydayparis; 11-04-2017 at 09:06 PM..

Old 11-04-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have an aversion to clothing that smells like fabric softener. If I pass someone in the grocery store that smells strongly of that, usually older people, I run away. When I delivered Meals On Wheels, many older people’s home’s reeked of laundry additives. I guess that’s better than some other things.

I have never, in 50 years of homemaking, bought fabric softener. I do use dryer sheets and scented detergent. I like a light, fresh scent, but not an overpowering, oppressive one.
Me too! I hate perfumed fabric softener so much. However, I don't like dryer sheets either. I use Downy Free in my wash, which is free of perfumes and dyes. It comes in a white bottle.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
BTW: dryer sheets, as mentioned in a post above, will coat the fabric, and make it less absorbent. That would promote sweating and body odors...
They also make fabric more flammable. They may clog the screen of the lint filter and reduce air circulation. Good circulation is essential to getting clothes dried properly and helps prevent overheating which can lead to fires. Reduced air circulation also might affect the smell of dried clothes.
They are pretty evil to fabrics. Avoid them.
Even though I don't use dryer sheets, that's very interesting. I use Downy Free in my washer, but I don't use it on my towels because fabric softner on towels makes them less absorbent. All my stuff smells clean!

Old 11-05-2017, 12:44 AM

33,109 posts, read 36,850,063 times
Willamette, is this your washer and dryer at your house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics