Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 10:10 AM

3,098 posts, read 1,709,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Hello and welcome to . . .

Today's Varied Question(s):
How ready are you for autumn weather, enthusiasm-wise or otherwise? No, not really. And I'm NEVER ready for late-autumn weather. The holidays can be fun but I hate the weather.

Do you prefer an outdoor jacket with buttons or one that zips up? Doesn't matter but I tend to get zippered.

Do you normally carry bottled water or another drink container with you when you leave your home? No

If you have/had a lawn or garden, what watering method would you use, even if it's just rainfall? In Western Oregon no method is needed because of all the rain. I do have to water the plants in the greenhouse, though.

Do you want the 2nd Amazon headquarters near your town or
if you live near the current one, how's that going for you? If it settles in Portland, fine. But I don't want it in the burb town I live in. Most high-tech firms are in the county I'm in - outside of Portland - but there's a variety of industry, and our town is bursting at the seams with too much growth.

In your opinion, should corporations get a tax incentive to stay or move? Mixed feelings on this.

Foodie Question(s):
It's persimmon season. Persimmons grow in Asia and in the southeastern US.
---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persimmon
What do you think of persimmons or would you give them a try? I have tried them and they're good.

What do you want on or in your omelet today? No. I don't put fruit in omelets.

How about on or in your brownies? Nope!

Just for Fun:
Any subject(s) you'd like to see questions about? Mmm... no. The questions are pretty varied.

1948 Dinah Shore - Buttons And Bows
1956 Elvis Presley - Love Me Tender
1961 Dion - Runaround Sue
1963 Jimmy Glimer and The Fireballs - Sugar Shack, (earlier version of the B52's 1989 Love Shack?)
1964 Supremes - Baby Love
1966 Monkees - Last Train To Clarksville
1976 Steve Miller Band - Keep on a Rock'n Me, Baby
1983 Kenny Roger and Dolly Parton - Islands in the Stream
1986 Boston - Amanda
1987 Tiffany - I Think We're Alone Now
1988 Beach Boys - Kokomo
1989 Roxette - Listen To Your Heart Don't remember this one.

Today's Anonymous Quote:
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has limits."

This Week Includes:
Fig Week Love figs!
World Communication Week

Happy Thursday!
Thanks, BJH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 10:26 AM

37,851 posts, read 41,226,819 times
How ready are you for autumn weather, enthusiasm-wise or otherwise?
Yes - Have been out 4x with my camera. Here are 2 photos taken in my town on Sunday, on different sides of the same lake. The side with the oranges gets more sun. Have 2 more I'll post tomorrow, one in one of the state parks (also taken Sunday) and one at one of the dams (taken Wednesday - yesterday).

Do you prefer an outdoor jacket with buttons or one that zips up? Zip

Do you normally carry bottled water or another drink container with you when you leave your home? I have a bottle of water in the car now but not usually.

If you have/had a lawn or garden, what watering method would you use, even if it's just rainfall? Apartment complex has automatic sprinklers that I believe are on a timer as they go on the same time every night.

if you live near the current one, how's that going for you?
It meant taxes on purchases to have one in our state.

In your opinion, should corporations get a tax incentive to stay or move? They should be able to compete with other countries by staying in the US and lowering the tax rate just for the ones here.

Foodie Question(s):
What do you think of persimmons or would you give them a try?
Would try.

What do you want on or in your omelet today? Someone else's mouth. Don't eat omlets.

How about on or in your brownies?
Plain is good.

Just for Fun:
Any subject(s) you'd like to see questions about?
music, movies, travel, tv, books, photography, the shore (anywhere), people's posting habits

Last edited by LauraC; 11-02-2017 at 10:38 AM..

Old 11-02-2017, 10:45 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,871,263 times
[quote=bjh;50003477]Hello and welcome to . . .

Yes! I don't miss that heat wave we had last month.
Do you prefer an outdoor jacket with buttons or one that zips up?
I like zippers.
Do you normally carry bottled water or another drink container with you when you leave your home?
Not unless the dogs are with me.
If you have/had a lawn or garden, what watering method would you use, even if it's just rainfall?
I had to use the hose a lot this year. Our water bill was really high.
Sure. Jobs are jobs.
In your opinion, should corporations get a tax incentive to stay or move?
Yes. Those tax incentives that were a normal part of business in the town where John worked kept his job secure through a very strong tax base.

Foodie Question(s):
I'd try one.
What do you want on or in your omelet today?
Feta, mushrooms and spinach.
Chocolate frosting and nuts.

Just for Fun:

I will try to think about that.
Top Music Hits This Day:
If you enjoy these, soak it up while you can. This is the next to last one
because it's been almost a year of weekly music hits and they'll become repeats.
-
1963 Jimmy Glimer and The Fireballs - Sugar Shack, (earlier version of the B52's 1989 Love Shack?)
1986 Boston - Amanda
1988 Beach Boys - Kokomo
1989 Roxette - Listen To Your Heart

Today's Anonymous Quote:

Today’s Word:
trice [trahys] noun
a very short time; an instant
ex. We'll have that done in a trice.

Today Includes:
Cookie Monster's Birthday
Cobbler Day

This Week Includes:
Fig Week
World Communication Week

November Includes:
Banana Pudding Lovers Month
Historic Bridge Month
Gratitude Month

Today's Picture:
Scottish mountains.

Happy Thursday!

Thanks bjh. You have a happy Thursday as well dear one.

I just finished taking Halloween out of the tree and the lights off of the fence just as it started to sprinkle yesterday. Three boxes packed and seventeen more to go. Ugh, so much work. I want to go to Vegas for Halloween next year!

Old 11-02-2017, 12:02 PM

44,460 posts, read 20,227,229 times
How ready are you for autumn weather, enthusiasm-wise or otherwise? I'm ready for it, but have been disappointed so far. We went from summery days in the 70s to windy 40s overnight about 10 days ago. Since the change it has been dark and dreary and we've even had days with highs in the 30s -- feels downright wintery. The trees don't seem to know what to do with their foliage. We don't have many colorful trees this year, and most trees are still wearing most or all of their leaves. Usually the first week of November I'm ankle- or knee-deep in leaves in my backyard, but so far there are only a few maple leaves down.

Do you prefer an outdoor jacket with buttons or one that zips up? It depends on whether it's dressy or not. I prefer zippers on casual jackets. I prefer buttons on a more dressy coat.

Do you normally carry bottled water or another drink container with you when you leave your home? Yes. I usually have a bottle of water in my car, and on hot summer days I carry a bottle with me when I walk outdoors. I use the same bottle over and over, refilling it with water from my Brita pitcher.

If you have/had a lawn or garden, what watering method would you use, even if it's just rainfall? Rainfall. I'm too cheap to water my lawn. If it gets brown, it'll green up again as soon as it rains. Plus, I have a lot of shade in my yard so my grass doesn't get brown as quickly as that of others who have yards which get a lot of direct sun.

Do you want the 2nd Amazon headquarters near your town or if you live near the current one, how's that going for you? I think it would be good to have it near my town, as it would bring lots more good-paying jobs to the area. Here in NW Indiana, the job market is pretty crummy. We're very dependent on the steel mills on the south shore of Lake Michigan, and the mills employ a small fraction of numbers they employed during their heyday.

In your opinion, should corporations get a tax incentive to stay or move? I'm okay with tax incentives for businesses to stay put.

Foodie Question(s):
What do you think of persimmons or would you give them a try? I don't think I've ever eaten a persimmon. Sure, I'd try it.

What do you want on or in your omelet today? bacon, sharp cheddar, green pepper, black olives

How about on or in your brownies? I like plain, unadulterated, fudgy brownies; no frosting. Nuts are okay, but I especially love them plain.

Just for Fun:
Any subject(s) you'd like to see questions about? If I think of something, I'll keep it to myself for the Tuesday questions!

Today’s Word:
trice [trahys] noun
I did not finish these answers in a trice!

Today Includes:
Cookie Monster's Birthday COOOOOOKIES!
Cobbler Day The guy who fixes shoes, or the dessert? Love me some cherry, peach or blueberry cobbler. There's a cobbler in my neighborhood and I like him, too.

This Week Includes:
Fig Week Yum.
World Communication Week

November Includes:
Banana Pudding Lovers Month I haven't had banana pudding in ages. I like it and wouldn't mind having some right now!
Historic Bridge Month I like to look at bridges. Indiana is famous for its 19th- and early 20th-century wooden covered bridges.
Gratitude Month I'm grateful every day just to be here.

Fun Q's! Have a happy day, everybody!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:14 PM

24,665 posts, read 26,226,631 times
Autumn yes, winter, no.

Zipper

Do you normally carry bottled water or another drink container with you when you leave your home?
Only in hot weather, a bottle fit nicely in the cup holder.

If you have/had a lawn or garden, what watering method would you use, even if it's just rainfall?
Part of the yard is on drip watering, the rest gets a hose job or rain.

No, this area is becoming warehouse central. traffic, housing and rent costs are thru the roof.

No

Foodie Question(s):
Meh

Eggs, ham, onions, bell pepper, jalapeños and salsa picante.

Vanilla ice cream and chocolate fudge.

Just for Fun:

Thanx bjh for the Variety of the Q's.

Old 11-02-2017, 02:40 PM

4,722 posts, read 3,299,202 times

How ready are you for autumn weather, enthusiasm-wise or otherwise? ..........Autumn Yes, winter NO!

Do you prefer an outdoor jacket with buttons or one that zips up? .........Either one but I prefer a zip up if it's really cold.

Do you normally carry bottled water or another drink container with you when you leave your home? .........Most of the time.

If you have/had a lawn or garden, what watering method would you use, even if it's just rainfall? ............Our lawn is too big to water but we do put a sprinkler in the garden if it's not rained for awhile.

Do you want the 2nd Amazon headquarters near your town or .................Not gonna happen around here but it sure would help our local economy.

In your opinion, should corporations get a tax incentive to stay or move? .................No, keep the playing field level for all.

Foodie Question(s):
What do you think of persimmons or would you give them a try? .........Mom would make persimmon cookies when I was little. They were good. I have persimmon trees down my lane and there are some in the woods near our fields. I've not had any for years.

What do you want on or in your omelet today? ..........Make mine a western omelette.

How about on or in your brownies? ............Just plain chocolate works for me.

Just for Fun:
Any subject(s) you'd like to see questions about? ......... I think everyone does a great job with QOTD. I do like the psychology type questions and the ones about our childhood.

Top Music Hits This Day:
because it's been almost a year of weekly music hits and they'll become repeats.
-
1976 Steve Miller Band - Keep on a Rock'n Me, Baby...........
1986 Boston - Amanda.........
1988 Beach Boys - Kokomo
1989 Roxette - Listen To Your Heart.............Loved that song and group.

Today's Anonymous Quote:

Today’s Word:
trice [trahys] noun

Today Includes:
Cookie Monster's Birthday
Cobbler Day..........

This Week Includes:
Fig Week
World Communication Week

November Includes:
Banana Pudding Lovers Month.......
Historic Bridge Month................Covered Bridges!
Gratitude Month...............

Today's Picture:
Scottish mountains.

Happy Thursday!

Old 11-02-2017, 05:17 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,427 posts, read 30,615,374 times
Ready! We've been all over the map with temperatures last month, and we'll be a little warm this weekend.

Zip, to keep out cold better, but as someone said, there are jackets that do both.

I do. Cupholder usually has a bottle.

I stopped watering a long time ago. If the rain doesn't get it, the grass will just have to wait.
Watering it makes it grow faster and need more mowing.

I don't think it'll make much difference and will be gobsmacked if they don't put it elsewhere.

No. I'm tired of corporations being placated with tax incentives then turning tail and running
the moment they can abandon workers and the community.

Foodie Question(s):
As said, yes, they do have a dry mouth feel to them. I almost made persimmon the word of
the day so can tell you the name comes from a
Powhatan word meaning 'dry fruit.'

Persimmons are not my favorite. they take forever to ripen. They're mostly just sweet
without any unique flavor of their own imo, but they still bring happy memories of fall.

Ham, cheese, diced tomato, and green olives.

Pecans, with maybe a marshmallow or two mixed in the batter. Frosting can make it too
sweet imo so just sprinkle a bit of brown sugar on top. Trust me.

Just for Fun:
It's harder to find new things to ask about than it may look.

Y'all take care, now. Ya hear?

Old 11-02-2017, 05:27 PM

24,785 posts, read 28,686,679 times

How ready are you for autumn weather, enthusiasm-wise or otherwise? What can you say.. Time for a seasonal change..

Do you prefer an outdoor jacket with buttons or one that zips up? Neither.. something that's warm ! and cozy on my Tin

Do you normally carry bottled water or another drink container with you when you leave your home? When I hike I do..

If you have/had a lawn or garden, what watering method would you use, even if it's just rainfall? Just don't worry about it.. you will know.. if you get rain every 10 days and don't get rain every 10 days so.. then worry about it..

Do you want the 2nd Amazon headquarters near your town or .. I waiting for the drones.. the flying monkeys will just have fun with them.. we have a pizza place wanting to deliver by drone..
if you live near the current one, how's that going for you? Chattanooga,,

In your opinion, should corporations get a tax incentive to stay or move? Stay were ? move to where ? It could be a...

Foodie Question(s):

What do you want on or in your omelet today? Bacon -- Onion - Italian sausage - eggs

How about on or in your brownies? Raisins & Walnuts ... or Pe-con - Pee-cans

Just for Fun:
Any subject(s) you'd like to see questions about? Sex

Top Music Hits This Day:
-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHzjfGF6MiU
1986 Boston - Amanda
1988 Beach Boys - Kokomo
1989 Roxette - Listen To Your Heart

Today's Anonymous Quote:

The lunch pail I used at NASA for many years has this sticker.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for real STUPITY!

Today’s Word:
trice [trahys] noun

Today Includes:
Cookie Monster's Birthday How many years.. and how many chips on the cookie
Cobbler Day.......... Cherry - Blackberry -

This Week Includes:
Fig Week........................ was that started by Adam & Eve
World Communication Week........ " When "

November Includes:
Banana Pudding Lovers Month............ O' yes 2nd on the list to Chocolate
Historic Bridge Month >>> Open link and find the historic bridge near you https://bridgehunter.com/ Interactive map

Thanks BJH......... for Thursdays Enlightenment

Old 11-02-2017, 05:54 PM

9,806 posts, read 14,385,962 times
How ready are you for autumn weather, enthusiasm-wise or otherwise? I'm ready, but here in Delaware we have had beautiful, warm weather so far. Today it was 74 degrees, with more like this for a couple of days. Next week it will drop to the high 50's. Time for me to plant my tulip bulbs. Not looking forward to those pesky squirrels digging them up for their snacks!

Do you prefer an outdoor jacket with buttons or one that zips up? Zipper works for me on my job. I'm considering buying that one advertised on t.v. that has all sizes of pockets in the lining. I need to carry a clipboard with pen/pencil, electronic measuring device, camera, and a 100' tape measure for every appointment. (and tissues because I'm allergic to dog/cat hair)

Do you normally carry bottled water or another drink container with you when you leave your home? No

If you have/had a lawn or garden, what watering method would you use, even if it's just rainfall? I turn on the garden hose-sprinkler when the front yard needs watering. Don't worry about the back yard.

Do you want the 2nd Amazon headquarters near your town No. They wouldn't come to our area...They'll look for the big cities or
if you live near the current one, how's that going for you? N/A

In your opinion, should corporations get a tax incentive to stay or move? Yes, I think so

Foodie Question(s):
What do you think of persimmons or would you give them a try? never had them,
not interested

What do you want on or in your omelet today? chopped tomatoes, swiss cheese

How about on or in your brownies? Not a fan, they give me indigestion

Just for Fun:
Any subject(s) you'd like to see questions about? No, everybody's doing a fine job

Thanks bj

Last edited by rdlr; 11-02-2017 at 06:24 PM..

Old 11-02-2017, 09:29 PM

14,990 posts, read 8,296,436 times
So ready! I love Autumn...it ties with Spring as my favorite season!
Zip
No...very rarely....unless hiking a long ways.
As needed, I have only grown little bits of things....so watering can usually suffices...rain
usually takes care of it for the most part.

Sure, I suppose that it would be a boon to the economy....

Idk -...probably not. Never really looked into it at any depth.

Foodie Question(s):
Never had them....yeah, I will try most things.
Cheese, Onions and Mushrooms sounds good....maybe a few olives.
Depends on the brownie....Maybe a dab of icing or glaze, or a scoop of ice cream drizzled with
hot fudge sauce and topped with a dab of whipped cream....

Just for Fun:
Can't think of any, but you always do a super job!

My Son when he was a baby showing me an Autumn leaf....it was the first time he had
discovered them - he kept handing me more and more of them!

My Son riding his Big Wheel through the Fall Leaves (there is a side walk under there believe it or not!)....we would go out everyday (weather
permitting) and I would walk and push him in his baby carriage when he was a baby, then I would walk and he would ride his little Tykes car or Big Wheel as he grew....then I would walk and he would ride his motorized car sometimes. What wonderful times those were!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics