Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 08:22 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,253,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
Posting sooner than usual because high-wind warnings make me concerned about possible
loss of electricity overnight (could be a lot of bother about nothing, but you just never can be sure)
With the forecasta I am sure that was a wise decision
Happy Monday October 30, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
Do you put up/bring out any decor specifically
[b][color=darkred] for Halloween ?Not any more
Have you ever placed a scarecrow on your property ?No

Extra Credit:
Have you recently had an eye exam-and/or had new prescription/lenses/frames ?Not fora few years

Bonus:
Are you storing things in your home which belong to other people (family or friends), because they don’t have the space to store the stuff themselves ?Don'tgetmestartedon that.

Just for Fun:
Do you have window boxes or hanging flowers/plants ?Many hanging pots
Do you know of any buildings covered with ivy or similar “creeping” layer of vegetation ?No
Thought for the Day:
“Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it.”
-George Orwell

Wishing you a day without worries over weather-related hazards.
Thanks cloven Hope you and all have a great safe day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 08:46 AM

63 posts, read 42,347 times
Today’s Question:
Do you put up/bring out any decor specifically for Halloween ?
No. I am not a big holiday decorator. Christmas is the only holiday I do any kind of decorating.
Have you ever placed a scarecrow on your property ?
We have a little scarecrow that gets put out for fall. I'm not particularly too fond of it.

Extra Credit:
Have you recently had an eye exam-and/or had new prescription/lenses/frames ?
Not recently. But I REALLY need to set up an appointment.
If you have vision correction and it changed, did it take a few days (for your eyes/brain) to adjust ?
Usually takes a day or so.

Bonus:
Are you storing things in your home which belong to other people (family or friends), because they don’t have the space to store the stuff themselves ?
No.

Just for Fun:
Do you have window boxes or hanging flowers/plants ?
Planning on getting some hanging pots for next year.
Do you know of any buildings covered with ivy or similar “creeping” layer of vegetation ?
A barn covered in wisteria.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:41 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,622,816 times
Mornin' all!

Today’s Question:
Generally, yes. But we do so little that we usually put it up the day of Trick-or-Treat.
Not since I was a kid.

Extra Credit:
No, and they sent me my "Time for your next exam" card over a month ago.
If you have vision correction and it changed, did it take a few days (for your eyes/brain) to adjust ?
My eyes still haven't adjusted. Sometimes I wake up and can see far away just fine. Other times I can't see anything, near or far. And as soon as I put my glasses on, something changes and I need them the rest of the day.

Bonus:
Are you storing things in your home which belong to other people (family or friends), because they don’t have the space to store the stuff themselves ?
I'm not. If hubby is, it's not in my way and is going totally unnoticed by me.

Just for Fun:
No, but I'd like to. Maybe next spring.
Do you know of any buildings covered with ivy or similar “creeping” layer of vegetation ?
Oh sure. Nearby abandoned buildings often have vines growing on them due to lack of maintenance. My church gets Virginia Creeper in the growing season. I love being inside the church when the leaves surround the windows and the sun comes poking out between them.
Also, we get VC on the brick of our front porch. We don't let it get too far because it can do some damage. We do take it down from the church for the same reason. But it is very pretty.

Today in History:
1864: Founding and naming of the town Helena, Montana (formerly “Last Chance Gulch”-now the state’s capital)
1939: Birth of musician and singer-songwriter Grace Slick (Jefferson Airplane/Starship)
1945: Birth of actor, director, and author Henry Winkler (Happy Days, Arrested Development)
1953: Birth of actor, screenwriter & director Charles Martin Smith (“American Graffiti”, “Never Cry Wolf”)
1960: Michael Woodruff performs the UK’s first successful kidney transplant, between identical twins
1961: Birth of writer, comedian, and actor Larry Wilmore (Black-ish, Insecure)
1963: Birth of actor Michael Beach (“Waiting to Exhale”, Third Watch)
1970: Birth of actress Nia Long (Third Watch, Boston Legal)
1973: Official opening of the eight-lane Bosphorus Bridge, connecting European & Asian portions of Turkey

Today’s Word:
rollicking /ˈrälikiNG/ (adj.): Boisterous, raucous, energetically upbeat, joyously loud and or/rowdy.

Today Is:
Create A Great Funeral Day
World Audio Drama Day
National Candy Corn Day In small amounts.
Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Political Repressions (Russia)

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at center and to lower left of middle-
Wonderful! Thanx!

Thought for the Day:
“Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it.” -George Orwell

Posting sooner than usual because high-wind warnings make me concerned about possible
loss of electricity overnight (could be a lot of bother about nothing, but you just never can be sure)
I get it. In the 18 years that I've lived in my current town I've lost power for so many different reasons, so many more times than I ever did in the whole 36 years that I lived in my home town.

Thanx cloven. Same to you. Thanx for the Qs and the maze.
Have a good one everyone!

Old 10-30-2017, 10:51 AM

11,085 posts, read 17,694,009 times
Today’s Question:
Do you put up/bring out any decor specifically for Halloween ? Not this year
Have you ever placed a scarecrow on your property ? I tried to but couldn't get my ex MIL to stand out there that long

Extra Credit:
Have you recently had an eye exam-and/or had new prescription/lenses/frames ? About 6 months ago
If you have vision correction and it changed, did it take a few days (for your eyes/brain) to adjust ? All I need is OTC reading glasses 1.5 strength

Bonus:
Are you storing things in your home which belong to other people (family or friends), because they don’t have the space to store the stuff themselves ? Nope. But we had some stored at step daughter's for a while. Moved in my parents' house with all their furniture and everything else still in it

Just for Fun:
Do you have window boxes or hanging flowers/plants ? We have a window box, but haven't had much luck with plants in it
Do you know of any buildings covered with ivy or similar “creeping” layer of vegetation ? My dad helped several families get that junk off the brick walls before it tore it up. The "roots" that stick in the wall will chip out the mortar, plus the ivy will stain the bricks.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:38 AM

24,683 posts, read 26,256,936 times

Today’s Question:
Not any more, neighborhood kids are long gone.

No

Extra Credit:
No, but I'm due for a exam.

No, the last time was ok.

Bonus:
Not any longer.

Just for Fun:
No

None locally that I can think of.

Thanx Cloven, fingers crossed for continued power.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:47 AM

3,107 posts, read 1,713,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post

Today’s Question:
Do you put up/bring out any decor specifically for Halloween ? Yes, our whole front yard becomes a spooky cemetery.
Have you ever placed a scarecrow on your property ? Nope. But I'd love to make one.

Extra Credit:
If you have vision correction and it changed, did it take a few days (for your eyes/brain) to adjust ? Last apt was in the spring and, yes, I had to really adjust to the glasses. In fact, at first I thought the prescription was wrong.

Bonus:
Are you storing things in your home which belong to other people (family or friends), because they don’t have the space to store the stuff themselves ? Oh, boy! This is SUCH a bone of contention for me! Yes, we do and I resent it.

Just for Fun:
Do you know of any buildings covered with ivy or similar “creeping” layer of vegetation ? I've seen it, yes.

Today in History:

1939: Birth of musician and singer-songwriter Grace Slick (Jefferson Airplane/Starship) 78. I guess I never realized she was that much older than myself.

Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Political Repressions (Russia) huh???

Thanks, Cloven! Have a great week, everyone!

Old 10-30-2017, 01:37 PM

7,371 posts, read 2,767,336 times

Today’s Question:
Do you put up/bring out any decor specifically for Halloween ? Not since the kids were small.
Have you ever placed a scarecrow on your property ? Nope

Extra Credit:
Have you recently had an eye exam-and/or had new prescription/lenses/frames ? A few months ago.
If you have vision correction and it changed, did it take a few days (for your eyes/brain) to adjust ? Just a day or two this time.

Bonus:
Are you storing things in your home which belong to other people (family or friends), because they don’t have the space to store the stuff themselves ? I have some things that belong to the kids. Those are slowly finding their way to the proper owners.

Just for Fun:
Do you have window boxes or hanging flowers/plants ? Nope
Do you know of any buildings covered with ivy or similar “creeping” layer of vegetation ? Yes, there is one locally that I know of. My first thought with this question went straight to Wrigley Field.

Thanks cloven. I hope you all have a good week!

Old 10-30-2017, 02:15 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,422,263 times

No power loss in my neighborhood this time 'round, though there are outages across the state and damaged roads.

Today’s Question:
Do you put up/bring out any decor specifically
for Halloween ?
No to both, though know folks who have done so.

Extra Credit:
^Yes to all the above...
still working on focusing while wearing glasses (new lenses)-hadn't been to eye dr. in a decade and finally went last week.

Bonus:
Not anymore-though had done so in past, for short time (items belonging to an ex).
Know someone with a whole basement full for just this very reason.

Just for Fun:
No
Yes, so pretty (though realize it's bad for the structural integrity of building).

Old 10-30-2017, 08:05 PM

44,752 posts, read 62,104,060 times
Today’s Question:
Do you put up/bring out any decor specifically for Halloween ? No.

Have you ever placed a scarecrow on your property ? Just me standing out in the field with a LED light shining on me, scary enough.

Extra Credit:
Have you recently had an eye exam-and/or had new prescription/lenses/frames ? 4 years ago.

If you have vision correction and it changed, did it take a few days (for your eyes/brain) to adjust ? No, it was immediate. I had a laser/toric lens procedure.

Bonus:
Are you storing things in your home which belong to other people (family or friends), because they don’t have the space to store the stuff themselves ? No, don't have room.

Just for Fun:
Do you have window boxes or hanging flowers/plants ? No window boxes, did hang some plants but they died from strangulation.

Do you know of any buildings covered with ivy or similar “creeping” layer of vegetation ? Not here in the heat of the desert.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics